“Great variety of the menu”
Review of Houlihan's

Houlihan's
Ranked #53 of 210 Restaurants in Dubuque
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great variety of the menu”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here a few times. I miss the locations that closed in Wisconsin. I enjoy the menu and wide variety of items. Service is generally good and there are many his drink options. Food can get a bit pricey, but the meals are generally good.

• Visited August 2013

Kansas City, Missouri
“Average chain service, better than average burgers”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Staying at attached hotel for business. Drove all day and was disappointed to find out their happy hour ends earlier than in most big cities. And no late night happy hour. Stayed for dinner anyway.

Sat at the bar, service was ok. Burger was very good and done just as ordered.
Drinks were average bar fare, bit overpriced and not strong.

It's a chain, so it is what it is. But from my experience and reading other reviews, if they could just solve their mediocre service issues, they likely would do much better.

• Visited June 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Food is average, service sub-par”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My first night at the Hilton Garden Inn - I entered and sat at the bar. I was the ONLY customer at the bar - several staff and other customers made eye contact but little else. I sat for three to five minutes - feeling as if I was in a fishbowl. Finally a young man was making his way over - and I was releived. However - he stopped at the hostess stand to play with his phone. I asked the next waitress who passed if there was a bartender, and she pointed to the young man with the phone. She said she would go get him - but stopped at three tables along the way. I left - only to return the next night - although I did get service - it was slow, inattentive and the staff was not helpful in menu suggestions at all. The local men at the bar were loud, misognistic, racist and homophobic - all within a 30 minute stay. The staff almost seemed to be amused by them.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank solonomad42
Dubuque, Iowa
“Food not bad; service not good”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We have eaten here two or three times over the past couple of years. The food seems consistently OK. There are a variety of bar food style dishes. I'd say it's pretty typical chain restaurant food, with a couple of interesting side dishes like a good cole slaw. The service though, has never been great. On this last visit, the server never once looked at us. She talked over our heads as though she was bored with the whole event. My impression is always that no one wants to work here or cares about the customers or the food. If you're staying at the hotel or are out at the Mystique, it's not a horrible option. But there are definitely better places to eat in town.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank RiverCityBetty
“Just ok”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We were in Dubuque for the a couple days and decided to try Houlihans. There were 9 of us, 3 children. Our server was EXCELLENT. She told us she would be leaving Houlihans as she had just graduated from nursing school. So don't look for her to serve you. Entrees selected were Veggie pizza (rated good) rueben sandwich (just ok, bread was soggy on one side) Chicken club (ok) potato soup (very good), calamari salad (ok), kids meals were mac and cheese and french fries and pizza (ok)
As I indicated earlier, the server was great, a wonderful personality and very timely with our service. With drinks, this meal came to $125 plus tip. Way too much for what we received. I don't see us returning to Houlihans.

• Visited May 2013