“Beautiful!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Dubuque B&B and Inns
Madison, Wisconsin
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

My friend and I had a wonderful stay in the White House at Four Mounds Inn. Everything about this place was perfect - from the beautifully refurbished home to the serene, wooded setting on the bluffs of the Mississippi River to the fantastic breakfast to the friendly and very helpful staff. The holiday decorations were beautiful and we especially enjoyed the adirondack chairs with their red bows all lined up facing the river. What a great find!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ksbyrd

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Riverside, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2012

What I have learned about Dubuque, Iowa and its great history

Day 1
As it was only our second time going to Dubuque, I wanted to make it special so my husband David took an extra day off so we could make a mini-vacation out of it for my birthday, which is September 11. The first day we were there we asked Marie FitzGerald, the innkeeper of Four Mounds, about places to go. She always has great recommendations. Of course we went to Potosi, Wisconsin to see the brewery and winery which are right across the way. And of course I did recommend Switchback to both places and even got some good contacts for the guys that evening. Let me tell you, if you have never stayed at Four Mounds you really should. It is breathtaking, and it is a great place just to take in the nature and relax.

Day 2
We woke up to the sounds of the birds chirping and the wind off the Mississippi River. It was so melancholy that I wished I could wake up to those sounds every day. So we went off to the gray house at Four Mounds for one of Marie’s fabulous breakfasts, and then we went to this place called Eagle Point Park. It is one of the most outstanding parks in the Midwest with 164 acres overlooking the Mississippi River and Lock and Dam #11, providing a spectacular tri-state view of Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin. It reminded me a lot of Starved Rock in Utica, Illinois. You could stay there and enjoy the many nature trails. After that, we just took advantage of the beauty of Four Mounds where I took pictures of the property that day. That has rather become a hobby of mine. When we are on trip I like to take different shots of whatever may catch my eye. My husband David is getting pretty good at it himself if I may so! He took many great shots at The Grand Opera House that evening. Before we went to see Switchback premier their new symphony Falling Water River with the Grand Opera performed under Paul Hemmer, we went to dinner at the L.May in downtown Dubuque. I do have to say it was excellent. The main reason for going on this trip was Switchback’s debut of Falling Water River with the Grand Pops Orchestra and Chorus of Dubuque. We went on Saturday, September 8th. My review of this show is it was a wonderful blend of the orchestral sound and woodwinds. I think that really made the difference overall. The special effects were just right too so way to go, Switchback! I cannot wait to see the next performance, and I know the fans will be waiting for the CD with the orchestral arrangement featuring Switchback. Therefore, fans, if that is something you really want, you will have to thumbs up on my Fan Club President Page on Facebook. I will put something out there about it, and if you would like a CD thumbs up. Of course we always like to hear your comments too.

Since my husband and I have only been in Dubuque twice, we wanted to do things and learn things about the town. One thing I have noticed is the pride Dubuque takes in its history. Just look at Main Street in downtown Dubuque and how they have restored most of the buildings. The other is the architectural significance of a lot of the buildings. You can tell the builders in the early 1800’s took pride in what they were doing and how they did it. There are a couple buildings I have noticed in Dubuque that have clock towers. I would love to read up on the history of clock towers because I am sure there is some meaning for having so many in Dubuque. The next thing we do will be an architectural tour when we come back to Dubuque. We always learn something when we come here.

Day 3
We still wanted to see a little more so at breakfast we were talking to The Duves, very nice people and great Switchback fans, and they were telling us about the Spanish Mines where we learned about Julien Dubuque, who was the first permanent settler in Iowa. We also learned Dubuque was a town of many firsts. Then on the way home we made two stops. We first needed to eat so we went to the Galena Brewery, and while there we got directions for the Galena Cellars, which would take us back toward home. It was worth it just to see the scenery. If we could live out this way we would. On one side of the River you have Galena and the other Dubuque. For a person who loves nature, there is so much to do. We look forward to our next trip to Dubuque and staying at the Four Mounds Inn. It is the most serene place you can stay.

Room Tip: We have not stayed in one bad room The grey house and the White house both have great rooms. If iwer...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Melissa K
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This is a great spot for a family reunion. We rented the whole house and had use of the great kitchen. I would love to go back there and spend a long weekend with my husband in the cabins or other house too. It's a beautiful secluded peaceful place. The staff was so unobtrusive yet always around for questions and assistance. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris M
St Paul MN
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband found a little bit of heaven when he chose Four Mounds to spend our 40th Wedding Anniversary. We had a fantastic view, the secluded peace of the "woods", the incredible 1908 mansion and all the period furnishings. The staff was welcoming but unobtrusive. We got to sleep in the "sleeping porch" of the Riverview Suite and to hear the birds and see the trees while lying in bed was so relaxing. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: The RiverView Suite is worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snowbirds52
FLORIDA
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Went to Dubuque for a wedding & left saying this was the best vacation ever. We stayed 4 nights in the White House. Fridny & Vidie rooms are large, clean, beautiful, comfortable & quiet. The home is so warm & everything was there for us & clean, clean, clean, WOW clean.
I was up by 5 each morning because I didn’t want to miss the deer & turkeys roaming around. Trails all over the place to explore & the views of the Mississippi River are inspirational. Four Mounds is not your average B&B. It is nothing like I expected & I feel lucky to have had the chance to visit. The folks that work & run this place are top notch, how much you all care shows in every detail. We bragged so much about this place that my in laws had us book them a night! They too are fans & will be back

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank REDHEADSPOT
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Large rooms in an awesome setting. One of the best places to stay in Dubuque!

• Stayed November 2011
6 Thank Swisshawaii
Milwaukee
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed 2 nights in Marvin's Gardens, the rustic cabin off the beaten path at Four Mounds, and were totally delighted with the experience. My girlfriend made the arrangements as a surprise for my birthday weekend, and she done good! The cabin is secluded and private, but with all the comforts of home, and more: A fully equipped kitchen with all cookware and serving utensils one might need, a great room with fireplace, piano, library, flat-screen TV, all manner of eclectic and unusual decorations and appointments, including snowshoes above the mantel and a wooden canoe overhead in the rafters, a comfortable bedroom with wide windows overlooking the woods and Mississippi River below, and a clean bathroom with shower and tub. The outside deck was spacious and peaceful, with woodland and river views, and quite private enough for very casual attire on a warm August evening or for morning coffee.
The landscaped grounds of the estate are beautiful and well maintained, and we took long leisurely walks through the gardens and along the river overlook trails. We imagine the property would be a wonderful destination any time of the year, and recommend it to couples for a peaceful and romantic getaway, and to families for a fun and different kind of experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple