“Beautiful Wedding!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Dubuque B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Beautiful Wedding!”
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

My husband and I rented the Grey House and the cabin last weekend. We got married in the Grey House and it was so beautiful. The staff was great and the location was unforgettable. All of our guests were talking about the place for the rest of the weekend. The best weekend of my life in a beautiful place, it doesn't get any better than that:)

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank cageoflight

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I found this B and B on tripadvisor and, as usual, tripadvisor did not disappoint! This gem was a "gentleman's farm" built in 1908 by the Burden Family. The huge Craftsman-style home has about 7 or 8 bedrooms of various sizes and several with their own bathroom. All furnishings and decor are representative of this time period and many furnishings are original (light fixtures, bathroom furnishings, etc.). Several rooms also have fireplaces and large sitting areas. Our room was a corner room and overlooked the Mississippi River. Even in chilly December, the view was exquisite and the history of the place, lovingly shared by the caretakes, fascinating; I could "see" the Sioux and Fox indians living on the river banks below our room along the beautiful shore of the River. The huge breakfasts, served in the Burden family's dining room, were scrumptious and all homemade - - fresh fruit, banana french toast, sauted mushrooms and green peppers, banana bread, bacon, and farm-fresh scrambled eggs. Juice, coffee, and various types of tea were available for the asking. The hosts shared the history of the White House, as well as the Grey House (smaller version of the original White House that was build for Mr. Burden's son and new wife) and the other buildings and Indian burial grounds on the site. There is also a small gift shop and a huge, cozy sitting area with working fireplace on the first floor. We can't wait to return with friends, but this is a place in
which family and solo visitors would feel comfortable and welcomed.

Room Tip: The corner room that overlooks the Mississippi River also has a tandem room with a sitting area and...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank montaigne911
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 22 December 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful stay here this fall. We stayed in the White House and had a suite that overlooked the Mississippi and surrounding woods. Very spacious and quiet, the suite was nicely updated but kept much of the original turn of the century charm.
The breakfast was tasty and fresh, and the hosts were very friendly.
Also, the hosts made great recommendations for restaurants in Dubuque.
We loved strolling the grounds. A trail follows the bluff above the river. Many birds and other wildlife, and quiet.
This would be a great place for a special weekend or anniversary.
Our only regret is that we could only stay one night!

Room Tip: Ask for a room or suite facing the river.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ed-dest
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 December 2012

My friend and I had a wonderful stay in the White House at Four Mounds Inn. Everything about this place was perfect - from the beautifully refurbished home to the serene, wooded setting on the bluffs of the Mississippi River to the fantastic breakfast to the friendly and very helpful staff. The holiday decorations were beautiful and we especially enjoyed the adirondack chairs with their red bows all lined up facing the river. What a great find!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ksbyrd
Riverside, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2012

What I have learned about Dubuque, Iowa and its great history

Day 1
As it was only our second time going to Dubuque, I wanted to make it special so my husband David took an extra day off so we could make a mini-vacation out of it for my birthday, which is September 11. The first day we were there we asked Marie FitzGerald, the innkeeper of Four Mounds, about places to go. She always has great recommendations. Of course we went to Potosi, Wisconsin to see the brewery and winery which are right across the way. And of course I did recommend Switchback to both places and even got some good contacts for the guys that evening. Let me tell you, if you have never stayed at Four Mounds you really should. It is breathtaking, and it is a great place just to take in the nature and relax.

Day 2
We woke up to the sounds of the birds chirping and the wind off the Mississippi River. It was so melancholy that I wished I could wake up to those sounds every day. So we went off to the gray house at Four Mounds for one of Marie’s fabulous breakfasts, and then we went to this place called Eagle Point Park. It is one of the most outstanding parks in the Midwest with 164 acres overlooking the Mississippi River and Lock and Dam #11, providing a spectacular tri-state view of Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin. It reminded me a lot of Starved Rock in Utica, Illinois. You could stay there and enjoy the many nature trails. After that, we just took advantage of the beauty of Four Mounds where I took pictures of the property that day. That has rather become a hobby of mine. When we are on trip I like to take different shots of whatever may catch my eye. My husband David is getting pretty good at it himself if I may so! He took many great shots at The Grand Opera House that evening. Before we went to see Switchback premier their new symphony Falling Water River with the Grand Opera performed under Paul Hemmer, we went to dinner at the L.May in downtown Dubuque. I do have to say it was excellent. The main reason for going on this trip was Switchback’s debut of Falling Water River with the Grand Pops Orchestra and Chorus of Dubuque. We went on Saturday, September 8th. My review of this show is it was a wonderful blend of the orchestral sound and woodwinds. I think that really made the difference overall. The special effects were just right too so way to go, Switchback! I cannot wait to see the next performance, and I know the fans will be waiting for the CD with the orchestral arrangement featuring Switchback. Therefore, fans, if that is something you really want, you will have to thumbs up on my Fan Club President Page on Facebook. I will put something out there about it, and if you would like a CD thumbs up. Of course we always like to hear your comments too.

Since my husband and I have only been in Dubuque twice, we wanted to do things and learn things about the town. One thing I have noticed is the pride Dubuque takes in its history. Just look at Main Street in downtown Dubuque and how they have restored most of the buildings. The other is the architectural significance of a lot of the buildings. You can tell the builders in the early 1800’s took pride in what they were doing and how they did it. There are a couple buildings I have noticed in Dubuque that have clock towers. I would love to read up on the history of clock towers because I am sure there is some meaning for having so many in Dubuque. The next thing we do will be an architectural tour when we come back to Dubuque. We always learn something when we come here.

Day 3
We still wanted to see a little more so at breakfast we were talking to The Duves, very nice people and great Switchback fans, and they were telling us about the Spanish Mines where we learned about Julien Dubuque, who was the first permanent settler in Iowa. We also learned Dubuque was a town of many firsts. Then on the way home we made two stops. We first needed to eat so we went to the Galena Brewery, and while there we got directions for the Galena Cellars, which would take us back toward home. It was worth it just to see the scenery. If we could live out this way we would. On one side of the River you have Galena and the other Dubuque. For a person who loves nature, there is so much to do. We look forward to our next trip to Dubuque and staying at the Four Mounds Inn. It is the most serene place you can stay.

Room Tip: We have not stayed in one bad room The grey house and the White house both have great rooms. If iwer...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Melissa K
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This is a great spot for a family reunion. We rented the whole house and had use of the great kitchen. I would love to go back there and spend a long weekend with my husband in the cabins or other house too. It's a beautiful secluded peaceful place. The staff was so unobtrusive yet always around for questions and assistance. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris M
St Paul MN
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband found a little bit of heaven when he chose Four Mounds to spend our 40th Wedding Anniversary. We had a fantastic view, the secluded peace of the "woods", the incredible 1908 mansion and all the period furnishings. The staff was welcoming but unobtrusive. We got to sleep in the "sleeping porch" of the Riverview Suite and to hear the birds and see the trees while lying in bed was so relaxing. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: The RiverView Suite is worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snowbirds52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dubuque
Hotel Julien Dubuque
Hilton Garden Inn Dubuque Downtown
Days Inn Dubuque
Days Inn Dubuque
#14 of 17 in Dubuque

Been to Four Mounds Inn B&B? Share your experiences!