“Historic B&B with a chequered past”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubuque
Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 8 Dubuque B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Innkeeper Amy is a lovely, welcoming host. It felt like I was visiting a friend.

Ask her to give you a tour of the house, the stories of it's history are fascinating. There's even a Tiffany window.

I was pretty tired by the time I arrived here and I completely forgot to take photos of the room! But trust me, it was lovely. I had the Solarium, which has access to the roof deck.

The bed was super comfortable and the shower & towels were excellent. Really all I need from a room.

There's free WIFI, but only a TV in the room and nothing else.

I had free parking as it was the weekend.

The breakfast was superb, Amy's famous for them.

I highly recommend this B&B in the lovely town of Dubuque.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Amy B, Owner at Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

It was a pleasure to have you here. I'm amazed that you were able to pack for a year in one bag. With the pace you were keeping when did you get time to do laundry. Thanks for visiting and I hope that the rest of your 50 States in 50 weeks trip went well. Do come again if ever you fing yourself back in Iowa.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We held our wedding ceremony at the Mandolin Inn and it could not have been more intimate or beautiful. Innkeeper, Amy, was amazingly helpful as we were organizing the event from out of town. Even before booking her Inn, she emailed us and provided numerous suggestions and recommendations regarding an officiate, restaurants nearby for dinner, etc. She responded to each of our emails and graciously accommodated a changing number of guests. The Inn is beautiful and our guests noted the intimate feel of a ceremony set at this B and B. Our only regret was not staying at the B and B due to the number of overnight guests attending. We will return for a weekend getaway!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Amy B, Owner at Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

It was a pleasure to have you celebrate your wedding ceremony here! Congratulations and I wish you both a wonderful married life. Do come and stay - Amy

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Innkeeper Amy Boynton went out of her way to make our stay there momentous. The historic house is beautifully maintained and the breakfasts were fantastic. I would not hesitate to recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone.

Room Tip: check out the Inn's website to choose a room that appeals to you. They are all tastefully done...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Amy B, Owner at Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

It was a pleasure to have you and your family and friends stay here on the occasion of your wedding. I am so happy that you chose to share such a special time here at the Inn. I do hope that you'll return again!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

My daughter and I came here for our birthdays which we were looking for a getaway from the busy city for some quite time. The Inn is very cozy and warm. The owner Amy makes you feel right at home and very knowledgeable of the history of Iowa with great tips for restaurants, etc. of the area. We were happy we made the choice to stay here at the Mandolin Inn with which we did get the peace and quite we came for opposed to staying in Galena with all the busy traffic and crowds of people. We visited Galena the next day (15 minutes away) and enjoyed the shops.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Amy B, Owner at Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

It was a pleasure to have the two of you share your birthdays here at the Mandolin Inn this past weekend. I do hope you'll come again!

Reviewed 21 June 2013

A friend and I decided to make Dubuque a stop on our cross-country road trip and are very glad we stayed at The Mandolin Inn. Amy is a warm, knowledgeable and capable host (and an absolutely fantastic chef!) who put us at ease as soon as she opened the door. The inn itself is a beautiful house adorned with Tiffany and Mackintosh stained glass. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with plenty of furnishings and all the essentials (towels, bath robes, TV, etc.) Just a few things to note: the showers take a bit of tinkering as the cold water seems to overpower the hot even when barely turned on, the wifi has a hard time reaching certain parts of the house and there are two very sweet cats living in the house. If you can handle these minor issues, I wholeheartedly recommend staying at The Mandolin Inn.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul S
Amy B, Owner at Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

It was a pleasure to have you guys stay here. I hope that your trip on Rt. 20 continues to go well - and that your blog of the trip is going well. I just got back from NC so I'll have to catch up on your Blog once the two cats have decided that they have welcomed me back properly. Again - I apologize for the solid limestone and brick house and it's fight against allowing Wi-Fi to strongly reach the Eastern end of the mansion. Oh if you have just hit CA the partying must be crazy regarding the 2 Supreme Court decisions. I do hope you'll come again if ever you are in the area.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

We did a Valentine Days one night stay. The host arranged to meet us early. The room was clean, a bit cluttered, but the furniture was well maintained. The bath shower arranged was creative, but functional. The lower level of the house was beautifully restored, and well maintained. The owner has plenty of personality, she spins thread, has cats, and likes to visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Amy B, Owner at Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

It was a pleasure to have you two stay here! - I'll take your remark about clutter under advisement and contact you about specifics. You are the first to suggest this, but I'm assuming you think the room doesn't need two seats. I'll also poll other guests. Thanks for your input. - Amy

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Neither of us had ever stayed at a bed and breakfast before. We really needed a weekend get-away and didn't want to go to a cold/impersonal hotel.

Amy, the inn keeper was a wealth of information, an awesome cook, a great conversationalist and provided the personal touches that made our first bed and breakfast experience the best ever.

We stayed in the Solarium room with our own bathroom (claw foot tub) and private patio. The house and grounds were well maintained. When we came back to the Mandolin Inn from the day's activities it was like coming home.

Debbie and Eolo
Des Moines, Iowa

Room Tip: The Solarium is a very bright room, but the shades on each window make it dark enough to sleep in. I...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Amy B, Owner at Mandolin Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

It was a pleasure to have you guys stay here. Do come again!