“Fun and Hopping!”

Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is where the action is. There is always something fun happening in the pool atrium! Great place for families, groups or parties. Ping pong & game room are pool side. If you want a quieter spot, get a room away from the pool. However, the pool hours (and related noises) end promptly at 11:00 p.m. We have stayed at other nice chain hotels in Dubuque, but prefer the activity of this hotel. Nice exercise room and an excellent breakfast at Champps is included. Staff is wonderfully attentive.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The staff is very friendly and helpful - anything we needed they were able to help us with. The rooms and the pool area were very clean. The breakfast at Champps Restaurant attached to the Hotel was very good. Our kids had a wonderful time - this was our second stay there and will definitely not be our last!!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Took the family on an impromptu getaway and we stayed one night. The room was nice, the staff were polite, the breakfast buffet was amazing. The kids (ages 3 and 1) had a blast in the pool. Our only complaint was that we had a pretty poor night's sleep. Most of the rooms are considered "poolside," and though we were offered one not poolside due to sound, we were assured that being on the second floor would make the noise a non-issue. Getting my kids to bed with all the raucous going on out in the pool and large open echo-y recreation area was hard. It was even difficult for my husband and I to sleep too. Though the thermostat had a setting on the heater/AC for "fan on," it didn't stay on once the room reached the set temperature, which was a bummer since we tried to do use that for some white noise. It was an overall fun stay and I don't think the kids are any worse for the wear, but my husband and I are exhausted and happy to be back in our bed tonight. But, I do wish I had that breakfast buffet to wake up to again!

Room Tip: Do not get a poolside room if you want it to be quiet.
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Good internet, nice pool, super hot gathering area, as with all hotels built around an un-enclosed pool in the center. Must cost a million to heat. Nice free breakfast at the restaurant attached to the hotel, kind of weird food items, but decent. Clean, close to many things.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are right next to the gathering area, so they are louder than the second floor roo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The room was good, food was great, pricing was ok, pool area would have been nice except it was taken over by loud, rude, unsupervised kids who splashed everyone, threw things all around you, and basically just ran around like a group of 30 unsupervised kids would do. Wish the staff would have made them obey some of the pool rules.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

always very friendly when we arrive, smiling faces. The rooms are very spacious, the beds are very comfortable. the hot breakfast is always wonderful. we stay here whenever we visit our son at UD. It is in a great location, close to the downtown area which offers plenty to do. The pool and family area is a wonderful spot to relax and spend time with the whole family.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Overall the hotel was pleasant, clean, and in a good location. GREAT food from Champs restaurant delivered to my room in no time. HOWEVER, at 2am the smoke detector battery started chirping. The front desk attendant could not leave the desk to change the battery but was able to bring me a key to sleep in a room across the hall. The fact that the battery was dead in a hotel is disconcerting. When I went to checkout the following morning, they did not give me any kind of adjustment on my bill for the inconvenience. Needless to say, I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Tina G, Manager at Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Karmin,
I apologize for the smoke detector waking you during your stay with us. I did receive a call just this week from your travel company explaining to me what had happened. They asked if we could give you a discount, but I immediately refunded your stay with us and offered my sincerest apologies. I do hope that they have passed that on to you, because they said that they would. I also want to assure you that our smoke detectors are hard-wired with a battery back-up, so even though the battery had expired, you were never in any danger because the alarm was still connected to the system. I apologize again for the disturbance and do hope you would give us another opportunity to provide you with a comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable stay. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me at the hotel at 563-557-8000.

Travellers also viewed these Dubuque hotels
Hampton Inn Dubuque
Holiday Inn Dubuque
Holiday Inn Dubuque
#8 of 17 in Dubuque
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Dubuque, IA

Been to Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!