“Great staff for an everyday hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Salina, Kansas, USA
“Great staff for an everyday hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

The staff was AMAZING!! The girl who worked the front desk was very friendly and gave us great advice where to go eat in town. We asked on our way to our room and as we were leaving the hotel she had a map all made out for us of her recommendation. Her recommendation was perfect and we had a fantastic dinner. The hotel itself is what you would expect of a Comfort Inn. It isn't the nicest in the world but it was fine for budget traveling. The pool was nice. The only complaint we had about the pool was the fact that like most Comfort Inns the pool has two ladders in and no steps. My youngest son can't swim so we had to hold him the whole time we were in the pool.

Room Tip: Be a reward club member. They upgraded us to a suite.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Gagesmom314

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Abingdon, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stay mostly at Comfort Inns, so that is the first place I look for in a town. This one was not nearly as nice as most but staff was very freindly, room was clean...small..but clean. Rooms need updated badly..older TV's...Air condtioner leaked on floor..no biggie tho..outdated bedding..hated the pillows but bed was comfy...all in all for the price it was acceptable

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane V
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

Having not done ANYTHING fun with my daughter while she was on Spring Break, I had Friday off to spend with her. I planned for us to go spend the day in Dubuque, IA to visit the Mississippi River Museum. On a whim, I checked out Priceline and decided to "Name my Price" at $35 in a 3 star hotel arriving that very night. To my delight, it was accepted and were on our way at 7pm! With tax, the room came to $47 and change.

We arrived to the 2-star rated (how did I get a 2star with a 3star request, PRICELINE?!) Comfort Inn Dubuque approximately 9pm after a white-knuckling trip through the hilly Galena Territory. We found our room (102) to be conveniently down the hall from the check in desk and breakfast area, as well as across from the pool. Modern furnishings and a very clean bathroom were what we found. Two full sized beds, a chair with ottoman, a dresser, mirror, 32" television, and bistro set.

Rachael IMMEDIATELY wanted to get into that pool! With children able to use the pool until 10pm, she opted to head straight in and take full advantage of her time. The pool also is open for adults until midnight.

At 10, we retired to our room. As we had forgone the trip to Walmart straight across the road, we had no food and no cash to use the vending machines down the hall, and Rachael complained wholeheartedly about being hungry. I assured her there would be a full breakfast spread available in the morning, and we closed our eyes while the Disney channel played. I couldn't sleep right away so I did hook up the laptop to the available FREE internet WI-FI access.

The beds were EXTREMELY comfortable, with an abundance of varying degrees of fluffiness pillows, I think each bed had FOUR, There was also a TIMEX alarm clock, however, I didn't need to use it, as my early riser woke me with a kiss at around 6:45. ON VACATION. ugh.

The breakfast spread is open from 6-9am and includes Washington and Granny Smith apples, big oranges, and bananas. Available Quaker Oats oatmeals in the available regular flavors, premade coffees, ice water, and hot water for tea. There is a waffle maker (fun!) bread, english muffins, for toasting. Cream cheese, peanut butter, and jelly for that. A 4 slot toaster. Pastries included mini and regular muffins in banana, walnut, blueberry, and poppyseed. Lemon pastries (whatever they're called). There was 2 different kinds of cereals in huge dispensers, a tray of about 30 hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper shakers right there. There was a crockpot of Bisquits-n-Gravy (yum!) as well as the bisquits for it. I couldn't for the life of me find the stinkin' syrup, and there was no one at the front desk, so while I did make a waffle, I couldn't eat it! I love bisquits'n gravy though so I got that. Rachael, little-miss-starving, just grabbed some apples and an orange with some apple juice. Oh yea, there was also apple and orange juice.

A pretty decent spread! We grabbed a couple extra apples for later, and a couple muffins in case the fruit wasn't enough for her.

After breakfast, it was time for the pool. Again. At 8a.m. LOL. Whatever. It's her spring break, right? She swam for an hour and after swallowing way too much water, decided she was done. Back to the room for a bath and a short rest before exploring Dubuque. Unfortuneately for us, it's a rather gloomy day here.

The plan is to hit up the Walmart across the way (always good for cheap local souvies anywhere you go), then head into town to see about the Fenelon Elevator and shopping area, the River Museum, and then probably head back across the Big River to Galena, where we'll visit Poopsies and that adorable Toy Store on Main Street before heading back home!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SpotlightOnTravel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

This Comfort Inn is a no frills, utilitarian place to stay. The room shows some signs of wear. The bedding and linens are clean and crisp. The beds are comfortable. Plan to sleep there... I used Priceline late at night for an inexpensive place to sleep and was satisfied.

• Stayed March 2011
Burlington, IA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed here for two nights on a weekend. First, the staff is wonderful- we had several issues during our stay and while they could not fix everything they tried, and more importantly they acted like they genuinely cared. Issues- we booked a suite, understandably at a higher price than a standard room. CAUTION- these are NOT suites- they are modest "oversized" rooms at best. The bathroom is TINY, no different than a standard room, the overall room may be a tad larger than standard rooms, but not enough to warrant the extra charge.
We booked a non-smoking room; however it was right next to a regular smoking room, and it was at the end of the hall where the two rooms across from ours and the next door room were smoking rooms- thus OUR ROOM SMELLED LIKE SMOKE- so much so that when we returned home our clothes we had not worn reeked of smoke...gross. Upon requesting a different room at check in we were told all rooms were reserved.
On Saturday night the hotel was full and upon returning at 930pm the hotel parking lot was full. Several in our party had to park in the next door hotel's parking lot or in the frontage road- inexcusable. One final issue- there was no hot water the night we arrived; upon calling the desk we were told that one of the water heaters had quit but was repaired that day. The next day and night we had hot water.
The breakfast room is small but the choices for the free bkfst were decent, and the pool and hot tub felt great. The beds are very comfortable, the hvac is average at best. Again, the staff is commendable, the hotel itself and its price point were not for this visit. Management was agreeable to adjusting our final bill- further proof that the staff did try to make this a good stay for us. If booking just be wary of the term "suite" and avoid all rooms next to smoking rooms.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

If you are looking for affordable lodging this is the place for you. Unbeatable rates, good service, super clean room, free internet and free breakfast. We were pleasantly surprised

• Stayed January 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2010

Stayed at the Comfort Inn two nights for work. My biggest complaint was the overwhelming smell of smoke everywhere in hotel. My co-worker and I were on a non smoking floor, but we sure couldn’t tell. Also, the days we were in town were extremely windy and the window in my first room was making a very loud noise as a result. I think the window wasn’t insulated properly. They did give me a room on the opposite side of the hotel after I asked. I slept alright once in the new much quieter room. The beds were comfortable enough. The free W-Fi worked well and breakfast was decent. Still not sure $70 some odd dollars a night for that place was worth it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SmoothFlyer
ellie3171, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 31 December 2010
"Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize these issues caused you to have a negative experience at our hotel. I want to assure you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and these issues are being addressed! We hope with our efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you change your mind and try the Dubuque Comfort Inn again next time you stay in the area."