“Good Value”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Edwardsville, Illinois, United States
“Good Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

You get what you pay for--every time I go to Dubuque I stay here, because it's close to my destination and the great price. Nothing fancy, but it's the best value in the area, in my opinion. The free breakfast is OK, somewhat limited, but for this price, there's at least something to eat for everyone. And I like it because I'm a smoker & they have at least some smoking rooms available.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Thank you so much for repeatedly staying with us when you visit Dubuque! We strive to be the best value in the area, offering micro/fridge in each room, free wi-fi, on-site bar & grill, free breakfast, on-site laundry, etc., yet still at a great price. Safe travels to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I rented two rooms for 12/31/12. The first room was fine, except the toilet did not flush in the morning. It worked out because my husband was able to manually flush it. We let them know it wasn't working at check out. There was a more severe problem with the second room. After booking online I called the hotel directly to make sure at least one of the rooms was on first floor. One of the people in this room had a disability and would not be able to make it up the stairs to a 2nd floor room (no elevators). I was assured by a very nice desk clerk this would be no problem and he would request both rooms be on floor one. When we arrived they did receive a 1st floor room. We didn't- they told us there were no other first floor rooms left. No big deal. A few hours later we went to leave and discovered their 1st floor room (room 109) would not lock. We called the front desk. They came, also tried to lock the door, and couldn't. They offered to put them in another room. However as there were no rooms left on the first floor this wasn't going to work. We ended up bringing everything in their room up to our room. At 2 a.m. when we returned we brought their belongings back down to them. This was repeated in the morning when we went to breakfast. I feel a basic expectation of a room is some element of privacy. The manager was not working when we checked out. I was told he would be back in on Thursday. I emailed him about the problem and told him I felt some sort of compensation was needed. I am not a person to complain, and this is the first time I have ever done so, but seriously, having a room you can't leave and lock is not normal. The manager did not return my email. I emailed him again 5-6 days later. This time he called me. He offered a 15% discount off a future room. He said we were offered another room. I said yes, but the guest couldn't walk up to a 2nd floor room (all that was left). He then stated I didn't request a 1st floor room. I told him I called after making my reservation. Since I didn't get the front desk individuals name he seemed to not believe me. He also stated I had booked through Expedia. I had booked through an online site I had not realized was Expedia (different site that utilized Expedia)- this seems to of made a difference, though. I guess we were 2nd class guests. I will not go back here. Not only did the manager not get back to me in a timely manner, but I feel 15% is a joke. I was not expecting a free night, but he should have made a reasonable offer. It's a good thing they had friends in another room or they would of had to move to another hotel. Something good: I did like the free breakfast. I am giving this hotel a terrible rating, not because the room didn't lock, but in how they have handled it. If it hadn't been for this, I would of rated it a 3.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Elizabeth: I know I had spoke with you directly on the telephone. I apologize again for the lock malfunction you experienced. However, our front desk staff did in fact offer you a room change which is protocol when something of this nature occurs. The first room offered, was a smoking room on the 2nd floor. The second room offered was a non-smoking room on the first floor. I am aware you declined both of these offers. I understand you were in a smoking room on the first floor, and we did not have any availability with the exact room type you were already in. As a front desk clerk, protocol is to offer a room change upon availability which we did and make sure our maintenance team corrects the problem in a timely manner. I will personally make sure your next stay with us is pleasurable as expected. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our maintenance team has corrected the problem.

Travellers are raving about these Dubuque hotels

Dubuque, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

In 2010, at about 5 AM my house flooded. Remember the scene in Jumanji where that crazy typhoon hits inside the house? That was basically my house, it was absolutely insane, all because of some shoddy roof-work. So at 5 AM I had to pretty much flee my house all alone with a dog and a cat (my husband is military and gone often).

I pulled into the Days Inn hoping they could help me out. I didn't know if they accepted pets or anything, but I didn't have a lot of money and I didn't really have anywhere to go. It was also a few days before Dubuque's SUMMER'S LAST BLAST, so a lot of the rooms in all the motels were booked for performers/food services/etc. I was really in a bind.

The woman working the front desk was not only COMPLETELY sympathetic, she was SUPER helpful. She pulled some strings to make sure I got a room for an entire week, waived my pet-stay fees AND let me know they give a military rate, practically cutting my room in half. The first day she actually sent a maintenance guy to check up on me and make sure I was okay... so friendly!

At some point in my stay, my dog -- whom I had to leave at the room because my house was not safe -- was barking too much. The phone message I received was: "Hey hon, we're calling you to say your dog's been barking. We got a complaint but we know that your puppy's upset so don't freak out. See you soon!"

REALLY UNDERSTANDING STAFF. Very friendly, really awesome. Room was nice and clean.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo