“Next time I will look someplace else”

Holiday Inn Dubuque
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Next time I will look someplace else”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Our stop here was a last minute decision (no planning). After driving all day we stopped here and got their last room for the night. A handicapped smoking room (that is what I said). I need to say that the staff in the bar/grill were just great and the food was very good. The location was also very good. The residual smoke in our room was not bad but the room was not very clean, found some mold in the shower and a long hair on the bathroom floor. The window was dirty. Our room key worked sometimes and didn't work other times. I took a key to the front desk when it wasn't working and got the lecture about where to store the key. The new key they gave me worked once before it stopped working all the time. The other key worked sometimes also. On Sunday morning the housekeeping crew started knocking on doors to clean at 9:30am and seemed surprised that people were not out of their rooms. Also noticed that we were being charged more than the posted price on the back of the hotel door. When I went to check out I told them again about the problems with the keys working inconsistently and again got the lecture about where not to carry the key. (They then said they would nootify maintenance to check the lock). I also said I noticed that the rate posted on the back of our door was less than what we were being charged. I was asked if that was the minumum or maximum rate posted. I said I didn't know it was their sign. The manager finally told me that rates could go up with special events. I asked then that since our room was the last one they could charge more and she said "Yes".

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear mj_vacation:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque.
We strive to a quality experience for all of our guests, and it is apparent that we succeeded in the Rivercity Beefstro Bar & Grille but missed that mark with your room accommodations. Your comments concerning the housekeeping issues have been addressed with our housekeeping staff for correction. While the electronic key cards can be problematic, they are generally very reliable. We did have our maintenance staff make some adjustments to the lock. As we have only one smoking handicap room, we were able to identify the room you are speaking of. Again, thank you for your comments. We would look forward to being able to accommodate you in future trips to Dubuque, with a much improved overall experience.

Norm Granback

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Came to Dubuque for a golf weekend and had the worst hotel experience. The hotel was shabby and smelled funny . The room was decent at first, but things got worse as the night went on. Our room was next to a room with a jacuzzi. The jacuzzi must have been up against the wall by our headboard. The noise from the room next door and the vibrations were intolerable. We called to the front desk to request a different room. We were told there the hotel was full. We packed up and went to the front desk to inform them we were leaving. In a matter of minutes, rooms "magically" appeared. Having to switch rooms at 11:00 pm is less than convenient. Earlier in the evening, we tried to use the jacuzzi in the pool area but it stopped working. We had to find someone to see if they could fix it. I spent this much on a room at The Palmer House in Chicago. This would be a hotel that I would never recommend.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sheri J
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Sheri J,

We appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry that we did not provide you with a more positive experience. Since we can run a report on room moves, we are checking for rooms that guests moved from which were next to whirlpool rooms. I am pretty sure that we can identify the room you were in and will have our maintenance manager see if there is some reason why it was so noisy in the room next door. As we have not had this problem previously, I believe that the whirlpool may need some adjustment. I will speak with the desk person on duty and let them know that they should have researched our availability a little more thoroughly when you first called. Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and thank you for providing us with feedback.
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed for 2 nights for a quick getaway to the Diamond Jo/Mystique casinos. The location of the hotel is great!

We chose a two queen bed room and their site states that each room has a mini refrigerator and microwave. Well, the room we were in did NOT have either of these items and also did not have HBO as stated on their site.

We talked to the front desk about this and were told that only the single king rooms and one of the other types had the refrigerator and microwave. We let her know that their site was wrong and she basically shrugged it off as an "Oh well, that's not my problem".

The room was clean and had a nice shower/tub combo. They had the coffee pot and coffee on the bathroom counter, which was odd, but I guess they didn't have enough outlets in the room to put it anywhere else.

They provide you with shampoo and soap, but there was no conditioner provided - no big deal.

Beware of the "pool and hot tub" -- unless you are 3 feet tall, you will not find the pool of any use, except to maybe sit in place. The 'pool' looks like it could have been the hot tub -- that is how SMALL it is. What they call the 'hot tub' MIGHT fit one average sized person, but it's shoved in the corner and looked like something out of a horror movie.

There is a sports bar in the main lobby that had friendly employees. We took advantage of the free drink we were given for being a rewards club member and ordered a Bloody Mary. The Bloody Mary was basically tomato juice with some vodka and a pickle tossed in. Very boring, but since we didn't pay extra for it, we didn't complain. Just don't order a Bloody Mary if you want something with flavor!

The hotel provides free parking in a rooftop lot. I believe there are multiple levels to the parking structure, but I only saw the top level that you drive up to off of the main entrance. There is also a free public parking structure across the street from the hotel.

The neighborhood the hotel is in really doesn't have much around it if you are looking to do something at night. You can take the short drive/walk over to Diamond Jo if you want entertainment. We were there on a Sunday/Monday close to a holiday, so there definitely was nothing going on around there! Any of the restaurants that are close by appear to close up shop pretty early in the evening.

Based on the 'false advertisement' of the room amenities, I would normally only give the hotel two stars. However, because the majority of the staff was friendly and room was clean, I will give it an overall three star rating.

If you are looking for a cheaper place to stay near Diamond Jo/Mystique Casinos, I would recommend this hotel. However, it is highly suggested that you call and verify what will be available in your room and do NOT trust their web site.

Room Tip: Verify the amenities that your room will have before booking. Their site is NOT accurate for all th...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Tazmaniandvl,

Thank you for the comments of your stay in Dubuque. Feedback from our guests helps us improve our hotel operation. I apologize for the problems you encountered by not having the amenities you were expecting. Our website should read that some rooms have fridges and microwaves, not all rooms. We are getting that corrected. During your stay, we were in the process of switching TV systems. Our old system had one HBO and the new system has four HBO channels. HBO was unavailable for a couple of days during the transition. We appreciate the nice comments you made concerning our staff and room cleanliness. Again, thank you for your comments.
Middleton
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The hotel is in a perfect location-short walk to the the Port of Dubuque. Hotel staff are pleasant and very helpful. Room was clean and comfortable - great beds - nice amenities. I would recommend the hotel for an overnight stay in Dubuque.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed here with a large group. Our rooms were very quiet and comfortable. Very clean hotel. We arrived after 10pm and the restaurant staff kept the restaurant open for us so that we could have a late dinner. We had a very good meal with very friendly service. Breakfast was good but a little pricy. We walked around the area and found it to be very nice. Wish we had more time to explore the area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn in Dubuque. The hotel is in a great location and only a ten minute walk to the Port of Dubuque. The staff were very pleasant and welcoming, the room was clean and the bed quite comfortable. A small snafu occured with the in-room movies, but the staff responded quickly and professionally. I was very impressed with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone considering an overnight stay in Dubuque.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The room was very nice, bed comfortable, clean overall. The bathroom must have been recently renovated. It was very pretty and sparkling clean. It was late when I arrived so went to the restaurant for snack. Had an appetizer portion of shrimp which was very good. The staff was very friendly and appeared to know everybody so guess the locals go there. They were saying the burgers are the best in town, but not having had one I can't speak to that. There is no free continental breakfast, but the restaurant serves a great omelet and cup of coffee. I would definitely stay there again. It is a pet friendly hotel by the way.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business