“Won't be staying here again”

Holiday Inn Dubuque
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Viroqua, Wisconsin, United States
“Won't be staying here again”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This is a run down hotel run by staff with bad attitudes. The rooms are so small they are claustrophobic. We were going to a concert at a nearby casino and got there at 3PM to relax in the hot tub and have a few drinks before dinner. The hot tub was ice cold. The person at the front desk was unapologetic and said it would be repaired in a couple hours. The next morning I went to use it again and this time it was scalding hot. It had to be 120 degrees plus. I couldn't keep my foot in it for more than a couple second. The person at the front desk (different person) was unsympathetic, laughed, and told me to dump some ice in it. I wasn't in the mood for her humor. She called our room around 11AM and offered us breakfast after finding out the temperature of the hot tub was unlawful. Her attitude and the condition of this property turned me off.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zen H
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear Zen H,

Thank you for the comments on your recent stay in Dubuque. Feedback from our guests helps us identify what we do well and on what we need to improve.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered not only with the temperature of the hot tub but also with the front desk staff. I can certainly understand your frustration with both. We take readings of the temperature and chemicals of the hot tub every two hours to ensure that the pool is safe. After being notified by you of the very hot water, our maintenance person checked the temperature and the system and found the temp to be 111 degrees, caused by a valve that had been closed. I have followed up with both the Maintenance Manager and with the Front Desk Manager, sharing your comments and my thoughts with them.

I would appreciate you contacting me so that we can make amends for the problems you experienced. I left you a voice mail message on the 29th and I look forward to speaking with you.

Again, thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies for a less than pleasant experience.

Norm Granback

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Manning, Iowa
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel that offers a good location with an easy on and off shot to both highway 61 and 20. Plenty of off street parking with one garage that is sheltered and connected directly to the hotel, leave your slicker in the trunk. Word of warning, the second floor is a smoking floor and carries a distinct aroma. Price Lined a friday night room for $85 w/o tax and that seemed resonable.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Delavan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We just used the hotel for a place to sleep and wanted a room that was close to the casinos. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quite. We did not use other amendities. There was fresh coffee in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This is for the restaurant only, the hotel looks like any other Holiday Inn I have seen.

We went there for a next day wedding breakfast, the buffet. Nothing was even warm. It was not that full and they keep running out of food, the service at the table was hit of miss.

Go down the street to a local place like Dotties.

I hit the Sleep Quality by mistake, I have not real idea.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The hotel is in agreat location. They are in the process of remodeling. The staff is very friendly and they have a great reception every night for priority club members. The restaurant is not that bad. My only complaint is that the wireless internet did not work well at all. Even called the company running it but did not help much. Probably the best place to stay in the downtown area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear Mark0076,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque. We appreciate the nice comments written about our location and staff. We do our best to create a great stay for each of our guests. Please accept my apologies for the internet problems you experienced. Our WIFI system generally provides a strong signal, and when problems do exist, the company that manages our wireless system can pinpoint the problem. We will continue to monitor the system and if we find continued problems, we will work with the vendor to get them corrected. Our lobby renovation is complete and will soon be moving to our second phase of renovation. Again, thank you for your comments.

Denver, Co
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Nice hotel with very helpful staff. Restaurant has good food. I stayed in a double queen room and had plenty of space. Dubuque has a quaint downtown and this hotel is close to several restaurants. Casinos are very close.

Oddly, there were ot towel racks in the bathroom. Nice plushy towels on shelves under the sink, but no racks to put them on.

As a small business owner who travels a lot and pays my own travel, I look for four things in a hotel: reasonable price, strong stable Internet, a variey of TV channels to watch while I work in the evening, and free coffee in the room in the morning. This hotel had all four. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Notice you can park (free) on outside levels closer to lobby door or under cover with entrance on b...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Nancy B,

Thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay in our hotel. Feedback is important to us as we learn from both our successes and errors. As you noted, our hotel is positioned very well to all of the activities that Dubuque has to offer.

You noted the lack of towel racks in your room. Two years ago when we renovated our guestroom bathroom and installed the vanity bases with the shelves, we opted to eliminate the towel racks, which many hotels have done.

We are pleased that we met your big four needs in a hotel and that you indicated that you would stay again. We will look forward to your next visit to Dubuque.

Dundee, Illinois
Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

I was in town for a funeral so I appreciated ending a long day at a great place. Getting back to the hotel around 8:30 pm, I finally got a chance to have a meal. The staff in the bar were great and the food was excellent. My room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is currently updating the first floor so there was a mess but it did not effect my stay in any way.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Dear DundeeLass75,

Thank you for the nice comments concerning your recent stay in our hotel. It is unfortunate that your trip was due to a funeral, and we certainly are sorry for the loss of your friend or loved one. We strive to provide the best in accommodations and service, and it appears that we succeeded in your experience. Our new lobby is no longer a mess and all of the contractors have departed. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again, but under more pleasant circumstances. Again, we thank you for writing a review on the TripAdvisor website.