“Great stay, clean, comfortable and great staff!”

Holiday Inn Dubuque
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The beds were very comfortable, and the staff was very helpful.
Such a clean hotel and a very convience location!
Even with all the dogs in the hotel, it was still a quiet hotel.

Would've liked that we had a fridge...

Stayed here for the 2012 Dockdogs world championships...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear Samsmomie20,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent trip to Dubuque. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay during the Dock Dogs World Championship. We work hard to create an enjoyable stay for all of our guests. We look forward to your return next year for the Dock Dogs World Championships 2013. We hope you have a very successful year at the Dock Dogs competitions.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

We booked the room well in advance for a wedding. The hotel was hosting the wedding, so they knew WELL in advance how many customers they would have. We arrived at 3 PM, check in time. We were told that they had no rooms ready, they "had a full house the night before and we're behind in cleaning the rooms". Wedding started at 4 PM, 4 blocks away. We needed to get ready for the wedding after traveling 3 1/2 hours. I complained loudly, even though I was told there was no manager on duty that day. We were offered two free drinks at the bar and free buffet breakfast in the morning. Big deal, that did NOT make up for the fact that the Grandmother of the bride MISSED the wedding!!!! Try to explain that to an 81 year old woman who was soooo upset that she had no time to get ready and get to the wedding. We got one room at 3:45, not enough time or space in the tiny rooms for 4 people to change and get ready for a wedding, then walk 4 blocks to get there. Especially an 81 year old and another person in the party in a cast boot! Our other room was not ready until 5:30 PM, and that was only after multiple trips to the front desk!!! Then, in the second room there was what looked like, well, feces, on the bed cover. I took several pictures for management to see, if they really care, which I really don't think they do! We paid full price for both rooms even though we did not get the rooms until late! Absolutely disgusted with this Holiday Inn experience!!! I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Traveler102712
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Dear Traveler102712,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We are interested in hearing not only the compliments but also the things that could have been done better.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting into your rooms, especially the second room. My understanding is that other rooms were available but you wanted the second room to be close to your first room. That is understandable. Better communication on our part could have expedited your getting the second room.

I would definitely like to see any pictures you have so that I can utilize them as a training tool with our housekeeping staff. Also, if you could contact me direct we can discuss what we can do to make amends for your experience.

Again, thank you for your comments. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

This is a run down hotel run by staff with bad attitudes. The rooms are so small they are claustrophobic. We were going to a concert at a nearby casino and got there at 3PM to relax in the hot tub and have a few drinks before dinner. The hot tub was ice cold. The person at the front desk was unapologetic and said it would be repaired in a couple hours. The next morning I went to use it again and this time it was scalding hot. It had to be 120 degrees plus. I couldn't keep my foot in it for more than a couple second. The person at the front desk (different person) was unsympathetic, laughed, and told me to dump some ice in it. I wasn't in the mood for her humor. She called our room around 11AM and offered us breakfast after finding out the temperature of the hot tub was unlawful. Her attitude and the condition of this property turned me off.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zen H
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Zen H,

Thank you for the comments on your recent stay in Dubuque. Feedback from our guests helps us identify what we do well and on what we need to improve.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered not only with the temperature of the hot tub but also with the front desk staff. I can certainly understand your frustration with both. We take readings of the temperature and chemicals of the hot tub every two hours to ensure that the pool is safe. After being notified by you of the very hot water, our maintenance person checked the temperature and the system and found the temp to be 111 degrees, caused by a valve that had been closed. I have followed up with both the Maintenance Manager and with the Front Desk Manager, sharing your comments and my thoughts with them.

I would appreciate you contacting me so that we can make amends for the problems you experienced. I left you a voice mail message on the 29th and I look forward to speaking with you.

Again, thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies for a less than pleasant experience.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Very nice hotel that offers a good location with an easy on and off shot to both highway 61 and 20. Plenty of off street parking with one garage that is sheltered and connected directly to the hotel, leave your slicker in the trunk. Word of warning, the second floor is a smoking floor and carries a distinct aroma. Price Lined a friday night room for $85 w/o tax and that seemed resonable.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We just used the hotel for a place to sleep and wanted a room that was close to the casinos. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quite. We did not use other amendities. There was fresh coffee in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This is for the restaurant only, the hotel looks like any other Holiday Inn I have seen.

We went there for a next day wedding breakfast, the buffet. Nothing was even warm. It was not that full and they keep running out of food, the service at the table was hit of miss.

Go down the street to a local place like Dotties.

I hit the Sleep Quality by mistake, I have not real idea.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The hotel is in agreat location. They are in the process of remodeling. The staff is very friendly and they have a great reception every night for priority club members. The restaurant is not that bad. My only complaint is that the wireless internet did not work well at all. Even called the company running it but did not help much. Probably the best place to stay in the downtown area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear Mark0076,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque. We appreciate the nice comments written about our location and staff. We do our best to create a great stay for each of our guests. Please accept my apologies for the internet problems you experienced. Our WIFI system generally provides a strong signal, and when problems do exist, the company that manages our wireless system can pinpoint the problem. We will continue to monitor the system and if we find continued problems, we will work with the vendor to get them corrected. Our lobby renovation is complete and will soon be moving to our second phase of renovation. Again, thank you for your comments.