“Great hospitality”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Portage, Wisconsin
“Great hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

A clean hotel in a great location with top notch hospitality. We were first greeted by Jessica with a very warm welcome. She was very helpful throughout our stay. Our room was very clean and fresh smelling. We woke up to a big snow storm and did not want to try to drive home. Connie was at the front desk and was awesome. She was so kind and helpful and went the extra mile to make sure we had the same room for an extra night. The staff really made our stay extra special. Thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: The third floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
connie j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you so much for the great review. My staff and I are so appreciative that you took the time to post about your stay. It was my pleaseure to help you stay another night as Mother Nature wasn't very kind with the weather. Take care and we hope to see you again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Kemah, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here for five nights. Both the day and night staff were extremely friendly, helpful and made us feel welcomed. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable and pool/hot tub were well maintained and warm. My only complaint is the hotel does not have a fitness room on site. They offer a day pass to a nearby YMCA but we did not go as the temperature was below zero most of our stay. I would stay here again because of the staff!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Typical Marriott property. Close to everything as far as restaurants, gas stations etc. Clean, friendly staff. Reasonable rates and safe well lighted location. I'd stay here again if I went through Dubuque.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dixon, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

When my wife & I checked in for a 2 night stay, we received a wonderful welcome from Emily at the front desk. We had requested a room in a quiet location on the 1st floor. That's exactly what we were given. Located farthest from Rt. 20 (Dodge St), room 100 was clean & quiet, except when the heater would cycle on and off with a soft metallic "snap, crackle & pop" sound. I nick-named it "Rice Krispies". When I mentioned this to Connie, the General Manager, at breakfast our last day, she explained how all of the heating/AC units had been taken out & cleaned recently & it was likely not reinstalled properly. She was going to have her maintenance person take a look at it. She is a very caring GM, who looks out for her guests, staff & property. Travelers should understand that this property was built without any suites. The only chair was at the desk. Our room had room for another chair & lamp. This was our only disappointment. We didn't use the pool or hot tub. Although there is no on-site fitness center, complimentary passes to the nearby YMCA are available. The scrambled eggs, sausage & waffles were very good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dodgeville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Fairfield by Marriott has many of the full service Marriott touches without the Marriott price.
For a very reasonable rate, one gets a well attended indoor pool and jacuzzi, a fitness room,
a full breakfast, and a variety of lobby amenities. If your business takes you to Dubuque, this hotel is a good value. The service at the desk, especially during evening check-in hours, was excellent.

Room Tip: If your dining taste includes Olive Garden, there is one next door, and the desk may have discount...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul4ejjr
Chehalis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Hotel was clean and comfortable. Hotel staff was very friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. Even got us a fridge to keep our cheese in! The desk clerk that was working when we checked in was exceptionally nice! Good first impression of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richie1953
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Well, it's the only Marriott property in Dubuque, so if you have to stay locally, it's the only place to stay.

It is right beside an Olive Garden, so it's decent if you want to have something semi-decent to eat for dinner.

I found the bathroom quite gross (I found two large black hairs on my towels). I didn't bother complaining as I was there only the one night. The morning I was going to check-out the fire alarm went off (of course no fault of the hotel I'm assuming) at 7am in the morning, waking me up and disrupting my entire day as I couldn't ready for work properly. The morning "breakfast" definitely is that of a small town Fairfield Inn.

I do travel every week for work (110+ nights a year) and might recommend this hotel for the business traveler. (Only if you're a Marriott traveler and want your points).

Room Tip: I had my room right beside the Ice Maker (something I wouldn't expect being a Platinum member...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank abastara
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Abastara,
Thank you very much for your review of my hotel. Please accept my apologies that your stay was less than perfect. I am terribly sorry for any inconvenience the fire alarm caused you. Also, I am sorry about the towels, and will address your concerns with my housekeeping staff. I hope with our continued efforts to improve you will choose the Fairfield Inn Dubuque again the next time you are in the area.

Connie J.