Eco Venao
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$109
Villa Marina Lodge(Playa Venao)
US$98
US$95
Travelocity
US$114
TripAdvisor
Hotel Villa Romana(Pedasi)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$88
Hotel Cubita(Chitre)
US$110
Hotel Piamonte(Las Tablas)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshowler monkeyscasa mangothe kitchenla casafamily roomoutdoor showerwide rangehiking trailsan adventureunique placeminute walkaccommodation optionsair conditioningboat barnice waterfallenjoy naturemeet interesting people
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Come here if you want to feel good, relax, surf ect. This is the perfect place if you are not looking for a party youth hostal but a nice place to meet fun and good people. For party you can always go to the other side of the beach...
The area is beautiful, rooms are always clean, the dorm is nice and breezy (no ac). Casa Mango is beautiful and comforteble, the cabanas are nice (very in the jungle like)...
Eco Venao is one of my favorite places to stay in the world!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This was definitely an experience.

Pros: The food (the seafood is really amazing), the beach, the jungle exploring, the very chill atmosphere, the ability to drink water from the faucet.

Cons: The room was quite uncomfortable, but not bad for $30/night for two people. If I went back I would pay more for a one of the little cabanas. Also, the howler monkeys don't allow anyone to sleep past 7am, if that.

My husband and I stayed here for 3 days in a private room. The private room was very small. It had a full-sized bed, a window, a little table and chair and a fan. It was hot, humid and the bed was as hard as a rock, but still...$30/night, what do I want? The fan made it pretty bearable and probably kept bugs away too. On that note, we didn't have too many issues with mosquito bites. Definitely got them, but just use some bug repellent and you'll be fine. Oh, other fun fact about the private rooms is that you can hear *everything* between rooms since they're all open at the ceiling level.

We spent most of our time walking on the beach or lazing in the little hammock cabana they have right next to the beach. No one else seemed to use it, but it was really comfortable and a great place to read. Tip: There's a little shower to the side of that hammock hut for rinsing off sand. We didn't notice it at first. Also, you probably won't be sand free until you leave Eco Venao, it's everywhere.

This is really a surfer's paradise, so I recommend it most for that or those that want to learn to surf. We did do a little jungle exploring too one morning at the crack of dawn when the howler monkeys were screeching their little hearts out. We had decided to go find them, and that we did. Little buggers...

There's also a little waterfall you can hike to (which is where we found the monkeys) and swim in. We skipped the swimming though because someone else we talked to got a couple of leeches in there, just FYI. It looks like a great swimming hole though.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cabanas and skip the private room unless you really want to save some $$.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Dear fellow travellers, I spent 8 days in Eco Venao in 2012 and to summarise my stay I would say:
- Super close to the surf. Quite consistent spot and close to a few other spots if you have a car.
- Aldo's food is mind blowing. He runs the nice little restaurant at Eco Venao and the food is some of the best I've had, at very affordable price (huge portions too!)
- The accommodation options are great. I stayed in a dorm and it was super clean, very cool look (all made of old timber) and never got too hot as it is in forest. Somehow there is always a cool breeze.

Anyone who travels through Panama should go there. Check my short movie of the place and surroundings on my blog http://theduckwhisperer.com/2012/08/24/panama-small-waves-magic-places/

Cheers
Ben

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Ben H
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Great Weekend.... We stayed in Eco Venao and Sampled two of the houses which both had outstanding views of the bay, nothing quite tops waking up and looking down to the ocean this alone makes the house unforgettable but on top of that they are beautifully designed with every thing you need for a comfortable stay. Our families consisted of babies and toddlers and we found the houses very kid friendly. You have a restaurant and bar on site and a hugh park for the kids . They had every thing one would need for a beach holiday and a short walk from your door is rippling waves and a yoga terrace. The staff where not only profesional and super helpful they made our trip and I hope will become life long friends. We was worried re the drive from Panama city which took five hours but with out hesitation was worth every minute.. Looking forward to our next trip in a month or two.......

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We were really excited about the cabana......and despite our ability to be adaptable....it was too eco. Huge bugs, mosquito bites, and cannot use any light after dark. We left after one night.
A beautiful spot, but uncomfortable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicholas N, General Manager at Eco Venao, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear papayalove,

I am truly sorry your experience at Eco Venao was uncomfortable. The comfort of our guests is the most important aspect and focus of our work. The cabañas (we have 2 of them) are indeed very open and one is directly in contact with nature, which in tropical Panama frequently includes different sized insects, sometimes many of them. As this is the case we take great care to provide adequate mosquito netting, and special dim lighting to reduce (unfortunately not eliminate) the number of bugs attracted to light. We do have guests that have enjoyed the cabañas so much that when they return they specifically request them, and we have had long term visitors who have been thrilled to call the cabañas their home for months at a time. However, we understand that they are not for everyone. Eco Venao is characterized for offering a wide range of lodging options, to cater to all tastes and budgets. Perhaps one of our more enclosed lodging options (we have several) would have been more to your liking, and provided a more enjoyable experience. If you were ever to return to this neck of the woods perhaps you would allow us to offer you lodging that is more suited to your needs. And in any case, we would love to hear any suggestions you may have about improvements to the cabañas. Please email me at nico@ecovenao.com.

Thank you for this opportunity to talk more about our cabañas. I hope that your review and this response will be helpful to other travelers. My only regret is that we were not able to address your problems while you were still here, but your feedback is very helpful to us as we strive to not only always offer the best to our guests, but also to continuously improve our services.

Kind regards