“Very nice stay with the whole family”
Review of Eco Venao

and 1 more site!
Eco Venao
Ranked #1 of 1 Playa Venao B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We rented the house called la casona : very beautiful, very confortable, great view. We loved it, the 3 kids and my step parents as well. The maid is coming every day to clean the house and the dishes. It s just 5 minutes walk to the beach. We loved having the monkeys in the trees in the garden as well !

• Stayed: January 2013
There are newer reviews for Eco Venao

Reviewed 13 April 2013

This year marked our 3rd trip to Eco Venao. It's a special place that our whole family has enjoyed.

Why we go to Eco Venao:

1. The Nature. You'll never feel more connected to it then you will on the Eco Venao property.

2. The Surf. Its WORLD CLASS!

3. The staff and hospitality is amongst the best Panama has to offer.

4. Change of scenery! You can experience views of the beach and mountains in one panorama. A photographers dream!

5. The MONKEYS! The residents on the property are reason enough to visit.

6. The Yoga en frente la mar!

Our experience this year was particularly special because our little daughter was able to experience all that we love about this place! She roamed the hills, the Pirate Ship playground and of course the beach all day everyday. My husband and stepson surfed. The waves were ideal.

I got to experience horseback riding for the first time, and LOVED IT. Up and down the rolling, curving mountains to the stream below. This was an EXTREME adventure I never expected to find my self on. But so glad I did it!

The front desk arranged a fishing excursion, as that's what Grandma enjoys. They brought home a ton of fish to eat including Mahi Mahi and Mackerel. All caught in the ocean directly in front of the property.

Eco Venao truly is a PLAYGROUND for all ages to be enjoyed and preserved!

Room Tip: For families, stay in La Casona, for couples, stay in La Casitas or camp!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This place was perfect for our group which included four adults and five teenagers. We were able to rent a house and the nearby two unit building. The porches with hammocks and easy chairs were great for enjoying the views of the bay, flowers and wildlife. It was a trek to the beach with surf boards so we did have to drive down, but we loved the beach and the kids got in some good surfing. Our friends had a car with four wheel drive and I would suggest it for the driveways. We had a rental car with good clearance but we had trouble getting up the drive.

The ladies at the registration desk were very helpful and arranged our snorkling trip to Isla Iguana. We would certainly recommend Eco Venao to anyone looking for a place off the beaten track.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2013

It takes a little dedication to get to this spot but it is totally worth it. The beach is gorgeous and if you're lucky you'll find the biggest sand dollars you've ever seen washed up on the sand!

Eco Venao itself is gorgeous, set on a giant piece of land with the most gorgeous huts where you can relax in hammocks overlooking the ocean. We stayed in a private double for around $30 a night (weekend prices run Thurs-Sat which is a bit of a scam.) It was tiny but comfortable enough. All the rooms in the Hostal are adjoined so they are only as quiet as the other occupants in the building so it has its ups and downs. Bring ear plugs! I heard only good things about the other accommodations but didn't see them first hand.

The kitchen is fly filled and ill equipped. Food is overpriced in the store so if you do want to cook I advise bringing as much with you as possible. It's a long way from civilization so this accounts for the high cost of basics.

Never fear however as the onsite restaurant Bobore was amazing. Chef Aldo whipped up the most amazing food I had eaten in Panama. He is very talented and good fun too... you can tell he has a passion for what he does. Sad to say I hear Bobore is changing hands so I can only hope that the new restaurant that takes its place is half as good. If it is then you won't be disappointed. Even if the kitchen had been amazing I still would have chosen to eat at the restaurant!

I did yoga in the morning and it was idyllic. $4 if you are staying at Eco Venao and you stretch out overlooking the breaking waves. Yoga mats and blocks are provided and you're welcome to go and use the facilities at any time during your stay.

We are not surfers but we enjoyed the beach... you can take long, lazy walks and the ocean is the perfect temperature for cooling down. It's clean too! Minimal trash on the beach which is refreshing.

Wildlife is abundant... howler monkeys are loud and fascinating.. hummingbirds and a lovely, friendly resident cat who will be only too happy if you invite him into the hammock with you.

The only thing that cast a shadow on our stay was the member of staff who took over half an hour to check us in whilst bad mouthing her co-workers inefficiencies in the process. She then bad mouthed a guest in Spanish to a co-worker. When I made it known I understood, she changed to English and continued. We met this guest and he was a very pleasant man undeserving of her insults. She also unwittingly insulted us. There was a BBQ on the beach organized by said individual and we decided to give her another chance but her passive aggressiveness, bossiness and whining still failed to impress us. I don't like to single people out via reviews but I really feel that there was bad energy created which many guests were not responding well to. I hope that she adjusts her behavior in future and can make a more pleasant impression on people.

Room Tip: Every room has it's benefits. Privates in the hostal are small but beds are comfy. Dorms are s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Eco Venao was really a great place for a beach retreat. $4 yoga everyday in their beachfront pavilion was a highlight. The surfboard rentals weren't great, but the shops a little ways down the beach had a better selection, also for $5 per hour (same as at Eco Venao.) The restaurant was good and the prices reasonable for dinner, but there are also a few mini markets to purchase your own food to cook in the communal kitchen if you want to save on food.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were clean and well cared for, but the casita and cabanas seemed to be an amazi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Come here if you want to feel good, relax, surf ect. This is the perfect place if you are not looking for a party youth hostal but a nice place to meet fun and good people. For party you can always go to the other side of the beach...
The area is beautiful, rooms are always clean, the dorm is nice and breezy (no ac). Casa Mango is beautiful and comforteble, the cabanas are nice (very in the jungle like)...
Eco Venao is one of my favorite places to stay in the world!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This was definitely an experience.

Pros: The food (the seafood is really amazing), the beach, the jungle exploring, the very chill atmosphere, the ability to drink water from the faucet.

Cons: The room was quite uncomfortable, but not bad for $30/night for two people. If I went back I would pay more for a one of the little cabanas. Also, the howler monkeys don't allow anyone to sleep past 7am, if that.

My husband and I stayed here for 3 days in a private room. The private room was very small. It had a full-sized bed, a window, a little table and chair and a fan. It was hot, humid and the bed was as hard as a rock, but still...$30/night, what do I want? The fan made it pretty bearable and probably kept bugs away too. On that note, we didn't have too many issues with mosquito bites. Definitely got them, but just use some bug repellent and you'll be fine. Oh, other fun fact about the private rooms is that you can hear *everything* between rooms since they're all open at the ceiling level.

We spent most of our time walking on the beach or lazing in the little hammock cabana they have right next to the beach. No one else seemed to use it, but it was really comfortable and a great place to read. Tip: There's a little shower to the side of that hammock hut for rinsing off sand. We didn't notice it at first. Also, you probably won't be sand free until you leave Eco Venao, it's everywhere.

This is really a surfer's paradise, so I recommend it most for that or those that want to learn to surf. We did do a little jungle exploring too one morning at the crack of dawn when the howler monkeys were screeching their little hearts out. We had decided to go find them, and that we did. Little buggers...

There's also a little waterfall you can hike to (which is where we found the monkeys) and swim in. We skipped the swimming though because someone else we talked to got a couple of leeches in there, just FYI. It looks like a great swimming hole though.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cabanas and skip the private room unless you really want to save some $$.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 4 in Playa Venao
La Playita Resort
La Playita Resort
#4 of 4 in Playa Venao

Been to Eco Venao? Share your experiences!