“Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Playa Venao B&B and Inns
Oslo
“Perfect”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We spent almost two weeks in Eco venao, even though we were just planning a couple of nights here.. But we really loved it! The first night we had a private "cabana", which was amazing, the next two nights we changed to a private room which is closer to the common areas, and later we stayed in the dorm. All rooms were excellent! We got new sheets every day, and the staff there were so friendly and social. Especially Loli and Aldo! The food in the restaurant there is also pretty good! Aldo is an really good chef! It was about 10 minutes to walk to the surf (beach break), but it didn't really matter. And the monkeys that lives around the hostel makes it all a bit exotic! We really loved it here, and were already talking about going back maybe next year :)

Room Tip: Either room is amazing
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Eco this place is, nestled in the forest, the beacj just a short hop away, however for my money, value and service was quite poor. First, check in was indifferent by staff, they were not warm, friendly and welcoming at all - I felt just like another bidy being checked in. Process was ver informal bordering on no process at all, no passport was requested, nothing, all they wanted to know was number of nights and they gave us a rate. The rate by the way of $55 for a cabin was not a good value. Not well cleaned, seperate shared cold water bath, horrible pillows, a ripped mosquito netting. The communal kitchen was dirty and the restaurant was nothing more than average. French toast using Bimbo - Wonderbread was quite average and service at the restaurant was less than attentive. No info was offered by staff at check in regarding things to do, orientation, etc. Although they dis have written info in a binder in the cabin which was a good touch. All in all I fel this place was a poor value, sure your cabin is nestled in the forest and the howls of howler monkeys in the morning are impressive, but the cabins are not worth $55 per night on weekends and the service provided by staff was indifferent and bordered on the nonexistant. As a hotel owner in CA myself I tend to place alot of weight on vslue and service and this place definitely did not deliver to its guests. I guess if i was staying in the hostel portion of the hotel I might have another opinion as hostel guests paid alot less and for them, service is not as criticsl an issue - as all they need is a bed, a shower and a communal kitchen. For myself and my wife however, we felt service and value were poor.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Mochilero22
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I spent a week at Eco Venao and was extremely happy with my choice. The place is very clean (showers, bathrooms, kitchen, etc.) and even dorm beds get made every day. The staff is also very helpful and available from 8am to 8pm. There's a kitchen for guests and the restaurant offers an excellent menu if you don't want to cook yourself. There are always good people around but the place is so big that you can also have your tranquility if you want to. Be sure to bring cash and beer from Pedasi before you get there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We rented the house called la casona : very beautiful, very confortable, great view. We loved it, the 3 kids and my step parents as well. The maid is coming every day to clean the house and the dishes. It s just 5 minutes walk to the beach. We loved having the monkeys in the trees in the garden as well !

• Stayed January 2013
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This year marked our 3rd trip to Eco Venao. It's a special place that our whole family has enjoyed.

Why we go to Eco Venao:

1. The Nature. You'll never feel more connected to it then you will on the Eco Venao property.

2. The Surf. Its WORLD CLASS!

3. The staff and hospitality is amongst the best Panama has to offer.

4. Change of scenery! You can experience views of the beach and mountains in one panorama. A photographers dream!

5. The MONKEYS! The residents on the property are reason enough to visit.

6. The Yoga en frente la mar!

Our experience this year was particularly special because our little daughter was able to experience all that we love about this place! She roamed the hills, the Pirate Ship playground and of course the beach all day everyday. My husband and stepson surfed. The waves were ideal.

I got to experience horseback riding for the first time, and LOVED IT. Up and down the rolling, curving mountains to the stream below. This was an EXTREME adventure I never expected to find my self on. But so glad I did it!

The front desk arranged a fishing excursion, as that's what Grandma enjoys. They brought home a ton of fish to eat including Mahi Mahi and Mackerel. All caught in the ocean directly in front of the property.

Eco Venao truly is a PLAYGROUND for all ages to be enjoyed and preserved!

Room Tip: For families, stay in La Casona, for couples, stay in La Casitas or camp!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hotchkiss, CO
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

This place was perfect for our group which included four adults and five teenagers. We were able to rent a house and the nearby two unit building. The porches with hammocks and easy chairs were great for enjoying the views of the bay, flowers and wildlife. It was a trek to the beach with surf boards so we did have to drive down, but we loved the beach and the kids got in some good surfing. Our friends had a car with four wheel drive and I would suggest it for the driveways. We had a rental car with good clearance but we had trouble getting up the drive.

The ladies at the registration desk were very helpful and arranged our snorkling trip to Isla Iguana. We would certainly recommend Eco Venao to anyone looking for a place off the beaten track.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 28 March 2013

It takes a little dedication to get to this spot but it is totally worth it. The beach is gorgeous and if you're lucky you'll find the biggest sand dollars you've ever seen washed up on the sand!

Eco Venao itself is gorgeous, set on a giant piece of land with the most gorgeous huts where you can relax in hammocks overlooking the ocean. We stayed in a private double for around $30 a night (weekend prices run Thurs-Sat which is a bit of a scam.) It was tiny but comfortable enough. All the rooms in the Hostal are adjoined so they are only as quiet as the other occupants in the building so it has its ups and downs. Bring ear plugs! I heard only good things about the other accommodations but didn't see them first hand.

The kitchen is fly filled and ill equipped. Food is overpriced in the store so if you do want to cook I advise bringing as much with you as possible. It's a long way from civilization so this accounts for the high cost of basics.

Never fear however as the onsite restaurant Bobore was amazing. Chef Aldo whipped up the most amazing food I had eaten in Panama. He is very talented and good fun too... you can tell he has a passion for what he does. Sad to say I hear Bobore is changing hands so I can only hope that the new restaurant that takes its place is half as good. If it is then you won't be disappointed. Even if the kitchen had been amazing I still would have chosen to eat at the restaurant!

I did yoga in the morning and it was idyllic. $4 if you are staying at Eco Venao and you stretch out overlooking the breaking waves. Yoga mats and blocks are provided and you're welcome to go and use the facilities at any time during your stay.

We are not surfers but we enjoyed the beach... you can take long, lazy walks and the ocean is the perfect temperature for cooling down. It's clean too! Minimal trash on the beach which is refreshing.

Wildlife is abundant... howler monkeys are loud and fascinating.. hummingbirds and a lovely, friendly resident cat who will be only too happy if you invite him into the hammock with you.

The only thing that cast a shadow on our stay was the member of staff who took over half an hour to check us in whilst bad mouthing her co-workers inefficiencies in the process. She then bad mouthed a guest in Spanish to a co-worker. When I made it known I understood, she changed to English and continued. We met this guest and he was a very pleasant man undeserving of her insults. She also unwittingly insulted us. There was a BBQ on the beach organized by said individual and we decided to give her another chance but her passive aggressiveness, bossiness and whining still failed to impress us. I don't like to single people out via reviews but I really feel that there was bad energy created which many guests were not responding well to. I hope that she adjusts her behavior in future and can make a more pleasant impression on people.

Room Tip: Every room has it's benefits. Privates in the hostal are small but beds are comfy. Dorms are s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 4 in Playa Venao
La Playita Resort
La Playita Resort
#4 of 4 in Playa Venao

Been to Eco Venao? Share your experiences!