“Very old and needs more attention.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Colonial Inn Dyersville
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dyersville
Mabank, Texas
“Very old and needs more attention.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband chose the hotel from online pictures and because the Super 8 was booked. We got a king bed room that smelled musty but was clean (except for the black mold on the bottom few inches of the shower curtain).Our bed was old, but clean, the carpet was clean, and we had upright kitchen chairs to sit on. There was only one nightstand, so I used one of the chairs for a nightstand on my side. There was a fridge, microwave, and a tv.
Our travelling companions weren't so lucky. One of their rooms was smoky (even though the sign on their door designated it as a non-smoking room) and musty, had a recliner so stained no one would sit on it or even lay clothes on it, and mold on the grout in the shower. She drove to Shopko and bought spray Lysol and chose to disinfect the room and stay in it. The other room had a similar chair, mold in the shower, smoke/musty smell, and a hole in the wall where the AC unit had been repaired. She changed to another room and borrowed the Lysol and so managed to stay there.
We were embarrassed because our travelling companions didn't want to stay there. My husband and I felt that for $50 a night; it was nice enough. We wouldn't book there again, unless travelling by ourselves.
If the management would air the rooms out when not in use, switch to wood and vinyl chairs that can be wiped down, and bleach the bathroom showers after each guest; the hotel would get better reviews.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

For $50 if you expect more than a safe place to sleep, you are expecting too much. Check in/out was easy, coffee available in the morning, first floor room, with microwave and fridge. Bed was hard but I slept well. Internet was spotty at best, but McDonald's is a short walk.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank solonomad42
Burkesville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed here for four weeks while doing contractor work in the area.
Pros: very cheap weekly rates, the nicest managers of any motel I have ever stayed before, cable and internet, clean rooms, "Anytime Fitness" right across the street-they do offer a one week/month membership, hardware/everything else you need store next to motel, "Fairway" food store across the street. We never went to a restaurant, got food from Fairway and fired up the grill. Laundry room at the motel is nice.
Cons- Nothing really to complain about. Sure the place looks old and the rooms are not modern but so what. Its a good bed, clean room and hot shower. I would stay here again if I was in the area, by myself or with the family.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MTT2009
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

We have stayed here several times for bike trips over to the Mississippi River. Not needing anything elaborate, it is a nice, clean, friendly place to stay. Economical, and comfortable, we loved it. Ignore the bad reviews, I would say these people didn't do their homework OR were expecting something a chain might offer. Clean, comfy, a place to lay your head and stay comfortably.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Janesadd
Council Bluffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

We could not find a room in Dubuque so found a room here. There is no pool or work out area, but if those are not needed....this is a VERY clean place to stay. The manager goes out of his way to help you with anything you need. The breakfast is very basic, but for the price of the room, was fine. We would definitely stay here again. There are a number of neat things to see in Dyersville, so ended up being a very pleasant stay. There also is a great restraunt with wonderful home made pie just down the street.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank CouncilBluffsTammy
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

This motel is a real authentic piece of Americanna! I would ignore the whiners prior to me. The price is extraordinary, and no one has any reason to complain. It more than delivers at that price. I have stayed at the Super 8 and the Comfort Inn in Dyersville, and this place in my opinion is better than the Super 8 and the Comfort Inn is better but at almost 4 times the price. What I want when I travel is a room that's clean, safe and has a bed that lets me get a good night's sleep. This hotel does it with a charm from the '60s. People who whine about the quality of breakfasts, etc., need to go pay 2-3 times more somewhere and shut up. I mean, really, what do you expect from a lower-priced establishment? Cheapskates seem to complain the most :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Blue_Grass_Tom
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

This place while fairly old, was a decent place to stay. The room was simple, yet clean and comfortable.

I only had one problem. At breakfast I asked the lady in charge for some Orange Juice as it was not in the fridge in the breakfast room. She said she would get some for me.

She went upstairs and several minutes later brought me the juice. When I tasted it, it tasted strange, quite bitter - in hindsight I think it had gone off. Anyway an hour later I was in Dubuque and I ended up vomiting in some bushes. I stayed sick the whole day and night as I drove to Chicago. I could not remember the last time that I vomited, but in this case it was clearly the bad orange juice that did it to me.

Stay away from the breakfast room and the stay will be OK, but the owners should be aware that old food and drink can cause food poisoning.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank PhilUSA2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dyersville
Comfort Inn
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Manchester
No photo provided
U.S. 20 Lodging
#1 of 1 in Earlville

Been to Colonial Inn Dyersville? Share your experiences!