“Give this motel a chance”

Tivoli Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elk Horn
Reviewed 6 December 2013

When this hotel changed hands last year the owners made a terrible mistake in hiring some very poor employees. As other reviewers have stated the service was terrible and the people running it could care less. Low and behold, the owner got rid of those people and now the Inn is getting back up to speed. We were in Elk Horn recently and what a change they have made. We have reservations for Tivolifest next spring. Believe me we would not stay there unless we felt it had changed.

GK

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Garey K

Reviewed 7 August 2013

The staff which consisted of a female and male transferred from the owners Omaha hotel, never stopped smoking. Fortunately, they sat on the bench outside in front of the entrance, however, their clothing was filled with smoke and it completely filled the hotel. They occupied the main lobby area with a TV, lounge sofa, chairs and books, however, we felt we were invading their space as this is where they made their home. The food was stale and dry and thank goodness the Vittles restaurant just across the street had delicious breakfast at 7 a.m. The coffee, memo pads, and other amenities all still carried the previous owner, AmericaInn's name. We were never felt welcome as they were disinterested in us coming and going. I am very concerned about the town with this being the only motel in and near Elk Horn and Kimballtown. Larsen's Restaurant, Danish Inn and Vittles need to survive but won't with this place to stay for those of us who return back to our Danish roots.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank connie1155
Reviewed 30 July 2013

What a mistake we made in choosing to stay at this motel......from the minute we arrived we found the managers (who appear to be the entire staff) disinterested, unfriendly, and rude. The bell for service usually requires being rung multiple times before they come to the desk to assist the customer. They take their frequent smoke breaks in front of the motel which adds to the smell of smoke that permeates the motel on the first floor (to be fair, the second floor is not as smoky smelling). They monopolize the TV in the lobby - a member of our group asked if she could change the channel and was told, "I'm watching this!"

The hot tub does not work -- I asked when I made the reservation "IF" there was a hot tub and they said "yes" - guess I worded the Question wrong! We did not use the pool so could not honestly speak to that amenity.

Breakfast was stale, unimaginative, and unappetizing. No syrup for the waffles. They didn't seem to stay on top of wiping tables, etc between guests. The second morning we went to "Vittles" (across the street and south a half block -- fabulous, delicious, inexpensive and a friendy staff.) The previous owners of this hotel had a great breakfast.

They did not ask us if everything was all right with our stay whe we checked out -- just stuck the receipt under the door. I had to ask the man if we needed to do anything more and he said, as he sat in his chair watching TV, "Nope! Just put your keys on the desk!!!! No "Thank you!", "have a nice trip!", "come back!" Maybe they were afraid we'd tell them how bad things were!

The town of Elk Horn has some wonderful things to see and a great heritage to share. They should attempt to provide alternative lodging options.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The whole hotel smells like cigarette smoke. Including both rooms we booked. Don't count on breakfast, find somewhere else to go. Staff acts like they are doing you a favor. The people of Elk Horn are wonderful. I hate to see a place like the Tivoli Inn and Suites be associated with Elk Horn.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had concerns after reading reviews. I am amazed that my experience was totally different then described. Room, hall and lobby was extremely clean. Desk clerk was friendly, courteous and pleasant to chat with. Breakfast was average. Price was a bit more then I expected but we all know price have gone up on everything in the last year. The one complaint I have is spa was out of order and pool water temperature cool Over all I would recommend this to all.

Room Tip: Reviews vary greatly my advice check place out for yourself
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Booked this hotel for the antique weekend in walnut through hotels.com. Got there and no booking for the first night, and full up. Owner tried to help but was more interested in other properties he has. Managing couple are....well, let's say.....less than helpful. Couldn't stop stuffing pizza into their mouths long enough to do their job. But that's ok.....they had to finish eating so they could get out to the front door to have that after dinner cigarette. Best advice is to stay away from this overpriced, run down dump. If the outside was any indication of the condition of the inside....dump would be a compliment. You do have to take into consideration that this is a small town and you won't find a four seasons, but you can still run a clean well kept business, which this is not. Did I mention I thought I heard dueling banjos in the background.........

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank creteman
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Very sad to see what has happened to this once nice small town motel. New owners are always outside smoking or in front of the TV in the lobby. Breakfast is a joke, pool I would not allow my children anywhere near and the room waaaayyy overpriced and smelled musty. Best part, 25 minutes letting the water run in the shower and never got hot. Went to front desk and asked if there was a problem with the hot water and was told "I don't know I just got up" Great customer service!!! Anyway drive to Atlantic or sleep in your car, we saw one family in the parking lot doing just that when we left, probably smelled better and more comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't stay here is my tip!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Been to Tivoli Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!