“Pleasant but not excellent”
Review of Schera's

Schera's
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Elkader
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant features a mix of American and Algerian dishes. The story of how it was founded is interesting and the food is simply magnificent.
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I tried Schera's for the first time a couple of weeks ago for my birthday. We have known about this restaurant for a few years but never made it to Elkader to give it a try. We arrived around 6pm on a Wed. evening so it was not busy. Since the weather was ideal we asked to sit on the patio, which we did. The patio has a wonderful view of the Keystone Bridge and Turkey River, but the proprietors have done very little to make the patio itself attractive. Some floral arrangements would go a long way to make the patio a special place instead of just tables with a nice view. The service was good but waiter was not particularly enthusiastic. Our food was also good, just not excellent. Some of the appetizers were a bit dry, although the spinach samosa was fantastic. The entrees were very nice, but my Harissa pork, although flavorful, was also a bit overcooked and dry. The drink menu is outstanding and worth a trip by itself. My wife and I later commented that we might return for appetizers and drinks sometime. All in all, Scheras was a pleasant experience, but not all that it could be. With a little more care and imagination this restaurant could live up to its reputation as a jewel in Northeast Iowa.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We went to Elkader mostly because of what we read about this restaurant and we were not disappointed. We had the Algerian platter and a gyro, which were great. The tap beer choices are very interesting. The patio has a fine view of the Turkey River and the dam upstream. The restaurant and bar were empty which was odd. Everyone was outside.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We lived 5 years in Morocco, and appreciate the cuisine of N. Africa very much, so have been delighted to be hosted by Frederique and Brian several times. The food is excellent, and the selection of draft beers is extraordinary. Take your meal and drinks on the terrace for a continental experience. First-rate and reasonable.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We were exploring North East Iowa to see regional towns and cuisine. We had seen reviews of Schera's Restaurant and decided a trip to Elkader was on for lunch. We weren't disappointed, the food was excellently prepared. The Gyro sandwich was really outstanding, one to raise the bar to measure all others by. We enjoyed our lunch there and would recommend.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

stopped by on my way back from a river cruise to PDC WI and CLAYTON IA told my lady friend that you can't go wrong on ordering a "classic" cocktail at this place,,,,ie; check my previous review,,,well...we got there around 5:30pm on a saturday,,,,there were busy,,,but is that an excuse???? the bartender that served my excellant cocktails the last time i was there was not there,,,,they had three bartenders because they were busy,,,and i ordered my usual grey goose martini,,,,now i did not state that i wanted it straight up,,,but oh well,,,thank god i caught him before he put the secound capfull of vermouth in my drink,,,then he served it on the rocks,,, i tod him i wanted it straight up he shaked it and poured it in my rather small martini glass which it filled half way,,,,i said,,,,should'nt the glass be full????? he said thats a shot and what you get!!!!!!! last time the regular bartender made me one and the glass was full,,,and i drink martinis all the the tri state area,,,,and gotta say alot of places actually have bigger glasses and fill them full!!!! ok enough on the martini,,,,lady friend ordered a margarita,,,i told her it would be the best!!!! damn they used a bottled store brand mix!!!! oh well....i just need to get used to the fact that the classic cocktail is slowly becoming a thing of the past..... oh i had the hummus and pita chips,,,,,good but could've used more garlic

Been to Schera's? Share your experiences!