“Never a bad meal!”

Cuisines: American
Fort Madison, Iowa
“Never a bad meal!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We bring business visitors here often for a quick lunch (they often request we come here). The food is always good and the entire staff really works hard to make sure you have a comfortable and good meal. We've used The Palms for some catered events and they delivered with no issues.

Visited April 2014

Crete, Illinois
“Classic Date Night 5 Stars!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Wait Staff Was Supreme! Emily was so helpful and attentive she deserves a raise!
The 40's decoration was not a turn off; it seemed like a classic rat pack movie and Bogart was in the house! Darker atmosphere for an intimate dinner was a nice change of pace from the normal fluorescent light we encounter everyday. If you want a lighter atmosphere sit on the side with the bar and watch the game on the big screen TV. Full bar great margaritas and decent wine list.
The Buffet was amazing, where do you get tamales, prime rib, catfish, walleye and HOMEMADE mashed potatoes! Yes, the buffet did not have romaine lettuce, but it was good. I would recommend this place to any group of adults or lovers in love!

• Visited March 2014
Idaho
“Somewhat Disappointed”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

New to the area, we'd heard good things about the Palms and decided to try it for a Friday night dinner out. Party consisted of hubby (65) and myself (64), our mid-30s daughter and s-i-l and two grandkids ages 5 and 2.

ATMOSPHERE:

The Palms is a nondescript looking establishment on the outside.
-Very 70s looking on the inside and somewhat dark
+Probably the cleanest restaurant I've been in for a long time!

MENU:

+Menu is fairly diverse but their claim to fame is the buffet
+There is a kids' menu ($5.99/meal)
-/+ No posted prices for the buffet on the menu ($15.99/adults) -- however we asked about the children; two year old was free and five year old $5.99 (same price as other kids' meals)
+Full bar so drinks available, including an o.k. wine list and some beers on tap

BUFFET/ENTREE:
The rest of the party chose the buffet, I ordered a special of halibut steak (also priced at $15.99)

+Salad bar was decent, and included fresh cold shrimp which were very cold and nice and firm, so I didn't think they'd been precooked
-Build your own salad included ONLY iceberg lettuce mix; no Romaine or spinach
-Only fruit was cocktail, NO fresh fruit of any kind

Buffet (from what others in my party said):

+Some things very good (we were there on a Friday night during Lent, so not sure if the amount of seafood was above average or not) -- hubby said baked salmon was good.
+/- Hot shrimp dishes but most seemed deep fried
-Daughter said the green beans appeared to be "right out of the can"
+Mashed potatoes appeared to be "real" not from a box

Entree:
+My halibut steak was excellent and the price I paid fair for that kind of fish
+Broccoli served to me was fresh and cooked just right; not mushy with a bit of crunch
+/- I also got rice pilaf which was o.k., parts of it were kind of stuck into clumps

Additional:

+Establishment brings baskets of really,really good cinnamon buns to the table and when we left the server offered to bag them up for us to take home. As I type this, a nice accompaniment to my morning coffee

+Service very, very good . . . and I am upset I can not remember her name!

We discussed the meal in the car . . . consensus was that if given a choice between the Palms Buffet and the franchised chain Golden Corral, we'd have gone to the GC. The Palms buffet was o.k. for a $10 meal; for a $16 meal it left us a bit wanting. It's not a bad place to eat, just not one that we will hurry back to.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Keyboardlady
Ft Madison Iowa
“Good food but a little dated”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Several of us chose the Palms Supper Club on New Years eve, as we have limited restaurants in Fort Madison, it seemed a logical choice. I had ate there before and wasn't impressed, so I wasn't expecting a lot. However they had a limited menu and a buffet to choose from, opting for the buffet, was pleased with the selection and the food was hot and tasty. The decor and equipment could really use a make over, it still looks like it did in the 70's. I think they were going for a dark classy and seductive look back then, now it just looks dark and worn, and not too inviting.

• Visited December 2013