“Run-down, old”

Knights Inn Fort Madison
Knights Inn Fort Madison
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Fort Madison
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I found this hotel online and booked it because I wanted to visit Nauvoo, Illinois and didn't really book in time to get into a better place.

The property was generally run-down on the outside. Our room was at the back of the property and it was quiet enough. The room had mismatched furniture and seemed clean. There was a wooden accordian door between the room and the dressing/bath area, but it was broken. It should have been repaired or removed.

Breakfast was definitely a cold continental breakfast. There were a couple of plastic dispensers of cereal that were hard to operate (be sure to remove the cover from the bottom), packaged cinnamon rolls that were quite tasty, and a small fridge on the table that had milk for the cereal and sometimes orange juice and yogurt. There was no place to sit to eat except on the tiny sofa in the very cluttered office with a tiny cluttered coffee table to set your food on.

I didn't experience the unpleasantness of the owners that others have mentioned, but wouldn't say the owners went out of their way to be helpful, either.

There is no on-site guest laundry, but I was directed to a laundry connected to a gas station that is near the Illinois side of town. It was clean, big, and well-lit, with reasonable prices.

Nauvoo is about 15 miles away, but it is an easy drive. Be aware that the bridge over the river from Ft. Madison to Illinois is a toll bridge. I believe the toll is $2 that direction, then it is free on the return trip.

Th

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ArizonaKatie

Reviewed 31 August 2012

I was at this hotel this past week in town for work and I will never return!! The owner was so hateful, she hollered at me when I checked in, then midway through my stay she told me they had to move me to a different room and when I got in from work I went to the front desk to get my new keys, she was yelling at me again. All I did was ask for my new keys!!! These people need to learn that in OUR COUNTRY, USA, you don't treat people that way!!! Worst hotel experience of my life!!! And the breakfast was pathetic. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Rooms are decent for the price, if you don't care about getting hollered at every time you go in...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Yankee3136
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Never in my life would I expect to be yelled at when speaking to the owner/front desk lady but that's exactly what happened! I ask a simple question regarding housekeeping and the owner flew off the handle screaming at me so bad that her husband came from the back and told her to calm down. She was also yelling at some other guests when i went to check out. The maintenance man was also very rude. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! Its an older establishment but very clean and cozy, however, all of that is ruined by the way the owners treat their guest. I would never stay here again, I can't believe they have stayed in business with that kind of customer service. I would not ever ever ever recommend anyone stay here!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Jene Ann S
Reviewed 5 August 2012

If you are looking for an affordable place to stay and don't care about any extras then this is the place for you.
The family of owners who apparently live on-site seemed nice enough, but the customer service skills displayed were lacking. I asked for an extra pillow and blanket and they could not produce an extra blanket but begrudgingly gave me the pillow. This type of attitude was kind of the theme for our entire stay.
Breakfast was almost a joke. Nothing fresh and the food was nothing more cereal and yogurt with packaged muffins.
The room was very basic with brick walls. There was no fan or ventilation in the bathroom, but there was a vent between the bathroom and the bedroom so the aroma from the bathroom found its way into the bedroom. Room was spacious and clean for the most part.
As a final note, don't stay here if you are planning on going to Nauvoo, IL. The hotel's website and the operator on the phone said it was six miles to Nauvoo, but we found it to be nearly 15 miles to get to the attractions in Nauvoo.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2012

It was getting late and I did not see many choices here. The Knights is older but I found it to be more than basic. King bed. Ref & micro. Very comfortable recliner. Pleasant owner. Not too
much as to breakfast but MacDonalds is next door. (I was in a hurry to get back on the road.)
A good stop for the price. Room was very quiet per cinder block walls. Quite a bit of traffic
on the highway out front. Fan blocks most of that.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rt66tbird
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Have use this motel twice for the rodeo each year.
Very helpful staff.
Reasonable rates.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We were going to stay at super 8, but they were full, so we stayed here. Room is very dated, but seemed clean, tub did not drain, fan very loud, eveything seemed to be plugged into one surge strip plugged into the wall, not so good. Loud...we heard everything all night long, every car that passed you could hear like you were sleeping out at the curb. Next morning got up to leave, went in to check out and older gentleman came out very crabby. Asked him for some info, he just waived me off and went back in the room...how rude..then another middle age man came out and helped us which he was nice, but wow, I could not believe the first guy very rude...and yeah...skip the so called breakfast...I would never put my family thru a night here ever in my life again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Quality Inn & Suites Keokuk North
Howard Johnson Burlington
Howard Johnson Burlington
#8 of 11 in Burlington

Been to Knights Inn Fort Madison? Share your experiences!