“Not in a million years”

Knights Inn Fort Madison
Knights Inn Fort Madison
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Fort Madison
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Wow! I can't say enough negative reviews about this roach motel. I booked through hotels.com and that turned out to be my first mistake. When we did that, the hotel owned our money. We booked for two nights and as soon as I stepped foot in the room, I knew I had to cancel the next night.

My family arrived at 10:00 pm. The third shift desk worker was their daughter. They live on the premises. She was easy to work with and promptly got us into our room. When we got to our room we noticed how out dated this hotel was. The beds are uncomfortable, and was unbearable for my wife. There was traffic coming in and out of my neighboring room, and I can only assume what the business was there.

We were too exhausted to go anywhere else and spend additional cash as the hotel refused to refund our money.

According to hotels.com this is a pet friendly hotel. In the morning when I let my dog out, the owner called my room five minutes after I got back in the room to advise me she would be charging me a $30 penalty for having an animal in the room. I was pissed.

I decided to check out immediately and told the owner I was not going to pay the $30 penalty and she advised me it would be $60 for both nights. Even after check out I was charged over $200 for my one night stay at this terrible hotel.

I decided to call hotels.com to complain and stayed in the hotel parking lot to make the call. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my family get surrounded by local police. The owner called the police stating the I was trespassing on the property. After spending a few minutes sorting things out with the local police department, we were on our way. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a person I don't even like. And now the lady named Priti, who is the owner of this flea bag hotel, is officially on my $hi+ list!

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank Marandjacsmom

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Old hotel in need of up dates. Bed was only a little softer than the floor. Paint w as peeling off the tub. The place was fairly clean. When I checked about staying another night the hotel owner told me she would check but the rate would be $20 more for the next night and no discounts. Went to the Super 8. Should have gone there the first time. Breakfast consisted of cereal and juice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goshawk12
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed here when came to visit Historic Nauvoo. The room was roomy and clean. I loved that there was a ceiling fan in our two double bed room, because I am used to sleeping with one at home. The beds were comfortable, and the hot water pressure was great. There were also a mini fridge and microwave in the room. We got a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JenniferLarson
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I found this hotel online and booked it because I wanted to visit Nauvoo, Illinois and didn't really book in time to get into a better place.

The property was generally run-down on the outside. Our room was at the back of the property and it was quiet enough. The room had mismatched furniture and seemed clean. There was a wooden accordian door between the room and the dressing/bath area, but it was broken. It should have been repaired or removed.

Breakfast was definitely a cold continental breakfast. There were a couple of plastic dispensers of cereal that were hard to operate (be sure to remove the cover from the bottom), packaged cinnamon rolls that were quite tasty, and a small fridge on the table that had milk for the cereal and sometimes orange juice and yogurt. There was no place to sit to eat except on the tiny sofa in the very cluttered office with a tiny cluttered coffee table to set your food on.

I didn't experience the unpleasantness of the owners that others have mentioned, but wouldn't say the owners went out of their way to be helpful, either.

There is no on-site guest laundry, but I was directed to a laundry connected to a gas station that is near the Illinois side of town. It was clean, big, and well-lit, with reasonable prices.

Nauvoo is about 15 miles away, but it is an easy drive. Be aware that the bridge over the river from Ft. Madison to Illinois is a toll bridge. I believe the toll is $2 that direction, then it is free on the return trip.

Th

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ArizonaKatie
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I was at this hotel this past week in town for work and I will never return!! The owner was so hateful, she hollered at me when I checked in, then midway through my stay she told me they had to move me to a different room and when I got in from work I went to the front desk to get my new keys, she was yelling at me again. All I did was ask for my new keys!!! These people need to learn that in OUR COUNTRY, USA, you don't treat people that way!!! Worst hotel experience of my life!!! And the breakfast was pathetic. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Rooms are decent for the price, if you don't care about getting hollered at every time you go in...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Yankee3136
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Never in my life would I expect to be yelled at when speaking to the owner/front desk lady but that's exactly what happened! I ask a simple question regarding housekeeping and the owner flew off the handle screaming at me so bad that her husband came from the back and told her to calm down. She was also yelling at some other guests when i went to check out. The maintenance man was also very rude. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! Its an older establishment but very clean and cozy, however, all of that is ruined by the way the owners treat their guest. I would never stay here again, I can't believe they have stayed in business with that kind of customer service. I would not ever ever ever recommend anyone stay here!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Jene Ann S
Reviewed 5 August 2012

If you are looking for an affordable place to stay and don't care about any extras then this is the place for you.
The family of owners who apparently live on-site seemed nice enough, but the customer service skills displayed were lacking. I asked for an extra pillow and blanket and they could not produce an extra blanket but begrudgingly gave me the pillow. This type of attitude was kind of the theme for our entire stay.
Breakfast was almost a joke. Nothing fresh and the food was nothing more cereal and yogurt with packaged muffins.
The room was very basic with brick walls. There was no fan or ventilation in the bathroom, but there was a vent between the bathroom and the bedroom so the aroma from the bathroom found its way into the bedroom. Room was spacious and clean for the most part.
As a final note, don't stay here if you are planning on going to Nauvoo, IL. The hotel's website and the operator on the phone said it was six miles to Nauvoo, but we found it to be nearly 15 miles to get to the attractions in Nauvoo.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Boulders Inn & Suites Fort Madison
Kingsley Inn
Kingsley Inn
#1 of 2 in Fort Madison

Been to Knights Inn Fort Madison? Share your experiences!