“Good Potato Soup, Good Eating if you aren't on a diet” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Rochester, New Hampshire
“Good Potato Soup, Good Eating if you aren't on a diet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Nice little country restaurant. Almost missed it driving by as it doesn't look like much. Potato soup is their intro item, brought to every table. Really tasty as was the sandwich entree. Enjoyed their homemade cheesecake for desert and left fat and happy.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Livefreeordie_11

Where my head lays
“So so food.... Not worth the drive to Grimes to go to...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Food was just okay, nothing I would drive back to Grimes for.... server kept rushing me through the meal, even though they were not busy at all... I wishes he would have pulled his pants up, they were below his butt... that may be a style for some, but not when one is working....

• Visited August 2013
“a hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

not much to look at, but you will not be disappointed. food is consistently good and potato soup is awesome!! that and the bread that is served right after is a meal in itself. CAN'T GO WRONG

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dvbreck
“Huge portions, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We stopped during Fathers Day after a bike ride and this place satisfies our appetites. The food was very good and there was plenty of it. There signature potato soup was great (it comes in a big crock with every meal).

Our waitress was good, but there were a number of other staff members just hanging out at a table and some of them bickering with each other. Not necessarily what you want to see upon arrival during your first visit.

Overall we really liked it and will definitely be back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Molson30
Northwest Iowa
“Iowa Comfort Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

We found this gem on our last day of vacation. We were just outside of Des Moines on Highway 141 and my husband said, "Find us a fun little place to eat." My first search brought us to "The Radish" in Grimes, but when we got there it was closed. My next search was "The Corn Patch." It didn't look like anything special and it had a few mixed reviews, but we decided to try it. It turned out to be the perfect final special meal on a fantastic back roads vacation.

The cover of the menu saluted farmers which always wins a vote from me. It also mentions the most common "complaint" -- that their portions are too big. Our server, Brian, was the right combination of helpful, personable and fun. My husband ordered the special -- ribs and chicken; I ordered a patty melt. While other restaurants serve complimentary chips and salsa, this place serves potato soup. Creamy soup with chunks of potato. Definitely Iowa comfort food! And delicious, too!

Our meals were equally delicious with nice presentation -- not fancy, but nice. My husband's ribs were just the way he likes them -- fall-off-the-bone. And the chicken flavor was excellent, "Just right," according to him. My patty melt had grilled onion and stayed together as I ate it. That rarely happens with a patty melt! It was all very good.

Our table was apparently right on the other side of the wall where food preparation was being done. During most of our meal, chopping was audible and a bit distracting. But we also interpreted it as fresh food.

We couldn't eat all of our food and did get to-go boxes. Plus Brian packed up some extra soup for us to take home - a very nice touch which we appreciated! Our total bill, including coffee, came to $27.05.

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at "The Corn Patch." Not only was the food great, Brian did a fantastic job of making us feel taken care of and wanting to return for more. Its nothing fancy but it still felt like a special place. As we left, my husband said, "The only way that meal could have been better was if it was free."

• Visited March 2013