“Clean and quiet for a nice price”

Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Grinnell
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I had trouble finding an available pet-friendly hotel along I80 between Des Moines and Iowa City. The other chains wanted $100 for a pet. No Motel 6 was nearby. So we chose this hotel for just under $100, gulp. It is very eye appealing and clean. We had a nice and quiet room near the very large grassy area where our dog could roam and not create a rukus, lol. Staff was very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed a very quiet night. They do charge $20 for the dog, but we were too tired to drive too far away from I80 for something else/cheaper. We would stay here again. Book online and look for web or other special discounted pricing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Laurie S, Manager at Best Western Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2015

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and dislike we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 641-236-6116 .

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. We appreciate your loyalty.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

In the four years our son attended Grinnell College, we stayed in most of the hotels and bed and breakfasts in town, and found that the Pioneer Inn was a good place to stay on our visits. It's right off I-80, so draws in a lot of people off the interstate, but is quite quiet. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and accommodations are fine--we've always had clean, well-maintained rooms. The indoor pool/hot tub area is a nice touch, although the breakfast is not anything to write home about.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the main building, which is very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent.

BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites

Reviewed 26 May 2014

A room we were offered ($99) had bad and strong smell, some kind of chemical matter used to kill an insects. I told a front desk person about that and he offered me another room but the price of that room was $114. I refuse to stay and all and left. Next morning I found out that the hotel manager charged me for full service ($99+tax) and the reason I was charged was, because we were in the hotel over than 15min after I check in, as I was told by Hotel supervisor. I have tried to hold the hotel manager to talk with her about that unbelievable and outrageousness decision, but she did not want even to talk with me. So, I would like to warn everybody: that hotel should has a name Worse Western. Do not stay there. There is the Comfort Inn hotel in that area and that hotel has much better rooms without smell.

Room Tip: Did not stayed there.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shak A

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your stay.

We would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. Although it is hotel policy to charge if you are in the room 5 minutes or 5 hours, you where offered a different room and there was no extra charge for that room and you chose to leave not sure were the additional amount came from.

If we can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 641-236-6116 .

BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed in room 112 in Main bldg. Very nice stay overall. Staff very friendly. We will stay at Best Western whenever possible as they honor retired military with a special rate! It's located just north of I-80 for easy access.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SgtMikeUSAF

Thank you for taking the time to fil out the survey, Your feedback helps use to continually improve.
Our guest satisfaction means everything to use. Thank you again for your score.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 641-236-6116 .

Reviewed 22 April 2014

odd set up -- toilet and jacuzzi off bedroom (with no sink) second 'living room' with newer full bath. perhaps it had been an efficiency apartment at one time? Very good night's sleep - great bed and linens

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey, Your feedback helps use to continually improve.
Our guest satisfaction means everything to use. Thank you again for your score.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

When we checked in for two nights, we were put in the older of the two buildings, and had a rough night. There was a fragrance dispenser plugged into the bathroom electric socket, and it was overpowering. I removed it, and sure enough, soon the moldy smell of the room was apparent; along with my allergy symptoms that night, I was uncomfortable from a bathtub that couldn't drain while I was showering, a toilet that wouldn't flush effectively, dust an dirt in the room, and in the morning even discovered the coffee maker leaked. Although the bed was fairly comfortable, it was still a rough night. My spouse and I checked out in the morning and found another place to stay!

Room Tip: Maybe you should ask to be in the new building!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your stay.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

If we can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact use directly at 641-236-6116 .

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel is in a great location right off the interstate. I don't think I would stay at this hotel again, probably because it appears very old and in need of remodeling. The room was clean enough, but it smelled very strong of CARPET FRESH and we had to open the window to kind of air out the room. The heater/air conditioner was very loud and made a banging noise every time it kicked in. The bathroom looked like it had been freshly painted, but paint was slopped around everywhere. (If I owned this property and had such unprofessional workmanship performed - I would fire the whole bunch). The bathroom also did not have a fan so it smelled like mold and must when we walked in. The price was reasonable, and the bed was comfortable. So don't highly recommend this hotel, but it is fair, probably ok for a quick nights sleep for weary travelers. There is a Country Inns and Suites very close by, and if I stay in Grinnell again, I would probably check them out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family