“hotel soap, with hear !”

Harlan Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Harlan
Council Bluffs, Iowa
“hotel soap, with hear !”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We arrived and the owner came out of his apartment to check us in. He looked as if we were a bother to him or we were interrupting something. After we got checked in we went to our room it was 96 outside and the room was hotter! I started the ac and went to the bathroom on the ledge of the shower were two used bars of hotel soap with hear on them, however the room looked clean the next day the soap was cleaned out.
They have a breakfast of toast cereal and waxed chocolate donuts however there were no spoons no milk and only two pads of butter. I think they were left from there last trip to KFC. we couldn't get the manager to answer the phone so we skipped the cereal.
did I say the bread was green! There is a grate restaurant on chat burn and 12th street in Harlan

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jimshorse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I paid only $40, and got a safe and quiet place to sleep. It wasn't a place I'd recommed if you had more money, but for the price you shouldn't expect more. (If you do find more for the price, workers are being mistreated!)

Apparently some rooms have been updated per other reviews, but mine was not. Carpet had been vacuumed but was dingy, many stains including clear boot prints tracking across the entire floor. And the vacuum missed a toenail clipping in the corner. The walls needed cleaning or paint, not sure if those streaks and smears would come off or not, wasn't about to touch and find out!

Fixtures and toilet worked and appeared clean. Bed linens were not soft but clean. The place was quiet through the night.

Breakfast was some boxed donuts that were stale even for boxed donuts. No one had made coffee and I didn't take time to start it. There were also a couple tupperware containers of cereal, probably off-brand version of cheerios and rasin bran, and I wasn't sure how old they were or if any one elses fingers had been in the container, so I didn't go there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank wearytraveller005
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This was my family's second time staying at this hotel, the first time being in 2006. I guess with the passage of time, we forgot about our first experience. But at $55/night versus $80+/night at Settle Inn and Suites, we were opting to save money. First off, the cats that frequent the parking lot give the area a rather unpleasant smell. Second, when making the reservation, I clearly stated there would be four guests. We only had linen for two guests. Third, the beds are NOT queens; they are full/double beds - false advertisement. Fourth, the breakfast is only donuts, coffee and Raisin Bran cereal. Thankfully, my family went to HyVee and Wing's for breakfast :) Overall, we were highly disappointed with our stay here. When my family comes back to Harlan next June, we will definitely pay the extra dollars and stay at Settle Inn and Suites.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank EIMaxwell1980
West Chester
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Nice modestly-priced motel. Very clean and entire motel has been updated. Carpet is new and the rooms are spacious, including a small refrigerator, coffeemaker, microwave and free Wi-Fi in each room. The continental breakfast is cold cereal, box donuts and toast, but adequate. The motel owner is friendly and lives on the premise.l Very quiet setting.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2010

So many roadside hotels these days have a weird stale odor in all the rooms and hallways. Not so with this great hotel. The rooms were clean and smelled fresh. The beds were comfortable, the staff were very friendly. I was told by some folks in town that they got new management about a year ago so it seems like they're doing the best with it.

My only regret was that there was no pool; my daughter was disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Seward NE
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Beds were lined with plastic, owner was rude and obnoxious, so-called breakfast was stale cereal, yesterday's coffee, and mini donuts. I will say the rooms were huge but offered nothing for comfort.

• Stayed August 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlan
Settle Inn & Suites Harlan
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Avoca
Motel 6 Avoca
Motel 6 Avoca
#1 of 3 in Avoca
Super 8 Walnut
Super 8 Walnut
#1 of 1 in Walnut

Been to Harlan Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!