“Can't wait to return!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Homestead
Fort Madison, Iowa
“Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My sister and I took a 'girls trip' to the Amana Colonies for two days and one night. We chose to stay at Zubers Homestead Hotel and picked the Four Seasons Suite since it had two seperate bedrooms. What a wonderful place to stay!! The room was spotless, and despite what a previous review stated, there was no mold or musty smell. The room was delightful! The ONLY fault I could find was that there was no closet to hang jackets/clothes. There were numerous hooks though, so we made do. The bathroom was small, but it was clean and had everything you require in perfect working order. The pictures of the room I took do not do it justice.
The gentleman that greeted us and checked us in was very friendly and made sure we knew where everything was. The breakfast room was closed while we were there and instead we were sent to the Ronneburg Restaurant for a fantastic free breakfast. (We also ate dinner there the day we arrived.)
The rooms at Zubers that didn't have guest had open doors so you could walk around and explore. We couldn't believe how gorgeous all the rooms were and have already picked another to stay in next year on our little 'vacation'. We cannot wait to return!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Last year we stayed at Zubers in the Oak room and found it to be very comfortable. This year we stayed int he Four Seasons room. It was extremely HUMID, MUSTY and moldy. We told the management and their answer was a can of glade. VERY disappointing. When we told the manager he seemed completely uninterested. He was not very welcoming or accommodating.

The bathroom to this unit is extremely tiny with only a shower and toilet. A tiny sink is located within the bedroom and not in the bathroom area.

The continental breakfast was very good and the person who served us there was very nice and accommodating. The decor is beautiful throughout the hotel. MOst of the staff tried hard. The manager gets a very low grade.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 24 September 2010

My cousin & I stayed here on a "girls road trip" to the Amana Colonies. The hotel is lovely & each of the 15 rooms has a different theme. We were able to see a number of them when we checked in because other guests had not arrived & the doors were open. All looked charming & inviting. We stayed in the Walnut Grove suite which was quite large & had 2 queen beds, a hide-a-bed couch, coffee table, pub table & stools, and small fridge & microwave. It was cool when we were there, so cannot speak for the a/c as we did not use it. However, both nights of our stay, the train going thru woke me at approximately 2 a.m. & again at about 6 a.m. The tracks are only about 1 block from the hotel! So stay on the south side as far away from the tracks as you can get. Otherwise, beds were comfy & breakfast quite good with home made breads each day. We did have a problem with the toilet clogging up our last morning, but were headed out anyway & reported it to housekeeping & the front desk. Would have given it 5 stars except for the trains!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 16 September 2010

The north side is near train tracks, where the local trains switch at night! Also, stay in the shoulder season. The window mounted air conditioning is barely up to snuff.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Forest City, IA
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed at Zuber's two years ago, and as other reviews have mentioned, it is a charming hotel and offers a wonderful continental breakfast.

Although the ambiance and decor is still lovely, it has lost some of it's charm due to an ungracious manager and inadequate air conditioning in many of the rooms. Several rooms were musty and moldy, and the unit in one room wouldn't work at all.

Wireless internet is advertised, but ours would not work in the room, only in the hallway or gathering place.

Zuber's web site encourages large groups to book their hotel, "Our Woodshed Gathering Place is the perfect place to gather friends and family, business gatherings or just visit with guests. We welcome group meetings, Business retreats, Marriage retreats.."

The person in charge throughout our wedding weekend seemed overwhelmed and put-out. My family came from California, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, and Missouri. I have lived in Iowa for ten years now, and have told my family how kind and warm the people of Iowa are. I believe this is true, unfortunately the innkeeper at Zuber's is the exception.

I will admit we were a boisterous group, but it was a reunion of sorts, and many of us had not been together in years. For two nights we were the only guests in the hotel, so I don't believe we were disturbing others, and we did our best to clean up the common areas when we were through.

I do not recommend Zuber's for larger groups if that is what you are looking for. I recommend that the manager/owner reevaluate his desire/ability to be in the hospitality business.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I have visited The Amana Colonies almost yearly for the past 10 years and, other than last year and this year, I stayed at a regular hotel. Last year I gave a B&B a try and was so pleased. I researched where to stay during my yearly visit last week and found Zuber's web site. I LOVE this hotel!! The website pictures do not do the rooms, or the hotel itself, justice. I stayed in the Four Seasons room and was so pleased with the comfort level of the bed. The small window air conditioner kept the room very comfortable and, unlike some others, the noise did not bother me. The room was very nicely appointed, but not as "special" as I'd hoped for. That being said, I was able to peek in every one of the rooms and several of them had the "Ahhhhh" factor I was searching for! My favorites were the Trumpeter Swan (raspberry red walls and AMAZING bathtub), the Sweet Lily (lovely handpainted furniture) and the Wild Rose (very soft pastel colors) rooms. If you are a woman looking for a "girlie-girl" room, or a couple wanted a romantic room, these three rooms are absolutely delightful!! Every other room is great as well, with some having a much more manly feel, like the Ironmen, the Whitetail and the Old Gold.

If you visit on the weekend and have a chance, stay for the Sunday buffet at Ox Yoke Inn in main Amana. Fabulous food with unlimited portions!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Cornwall On Hudson, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2009

This is a lovely spot. 15 rooms...each one decorated uniquely and in period style. Very quiet. Must drive to Amana for dinner, which is ok. Breakfast is continental+ but not full. Breakfast/Gathering room is very attractive and comfortable. Wireless Internet available in that room (didn't work in our bedroom)...but that was fine because no one seemed bothered when I hooked up my laptop and sat at one of the tables for about an hour. The couple who own and operate the hotel are very pleasant and accommodating. Housekeeping staff very friendly.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UMichAlum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homestead
Heritage Inn Amana Colonies Hotel & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Cozy House & Suites
Cozy House & Suites
#5 of 8 in Williamsburg

Been to Zuber's Homestead Hotel? Share your experiences!