Royal Palm Beach Resort
Travel Inn Hotel(Simpson Bay)
US$95
Turquoise Shell Inn(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
US$181
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$132
US$327
US$180
Azure Hotel & Art Studio(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
US$130
Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$111
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
US$212
  • Pool
US$92
US$84
  • Beachfront
All reviewsswim up barwithin walking distancesimpson baycabana restaurantgrocery storefull kitchenliving roomst maartenyacht clubmega yachtspineapplerented a carskip jackstime shareclose to the airporton site restaurantribs
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Second time in St. Maarten first time at Royal Palm been to several other islands. Booked expedia 1300.00 one week. 2 bedroom (I think they are all oceanview) two adults two teens. Checked in courteous and helpful 20 seconds , very nice clean room but was located a bit too close to pool bar area and we wanted a quieter balcony. I asked at the front desk and the young man had me in a replacement room in about 20 seconds flat and told me to come and see him anytime if I have a problem.

Long story short... almost all ID , 4 passports, one I phone and some cash, clothes were stolen while we were OFF THIS Resort at Mullet bay beach (ten minutes away) while on route to French side to possibly ferry to Anguilla (passports needed). Our rental car door lock was broken into at Mullet Bay Beach while we were snorkelling for an hour at 12 noon, car parked in middle of lot with people everywhere.

ALL staff at this resort regardless of time or shift were all extremely helpful. Without their help I am sure we would have missed our flight home. Endless help with free phone calls, messages, finding numbers, computer use, reassurance and genuine concern from all staff was given to us for the length of our stay. Thank you to all at the Royal Palm. I wish I could remember all your names as you remembered mine as we passed in the hall or parking lot and you asked how I was doing or if I needed anything. Thank you for your genuine concern and help. I would definitely return to your resort and seek the Diamond name in my other travels also.

We lost our items on Tuesday and had emergency travel documents in hand by Saturday in time for sunday flight. Many thanks also to Pierre (Consulate of Canada in Sint. Maarten) and Arlene at High Commission of Canada in Barbados

Emergency travel papers from Canadian Government are not easily obtained while in another country and you cannot fly without them. No you as a Canadian cannot use a police report to board an aircraft destined for Canada or elsewhere or use a copy of a passport or other ID to fly. Travel Papers about 100$ cash per person and about 4- 5 days, Passport photos must be taken at photo shop, Identification must be presented to Canadian Government through your consular (even if your id was stolen), photo copies are sometimes accepted, (I had to get friends to go to my house at home to retrieve and scan and send copies of documents and ID) Anyway, protect your passports at all times. Don't assume there is a system in place that would prevent you from being stuck in a foreign country for weeks , costing you thousands extra. I used to think this.

Don't leave anything in any car that you don't want to lose. Half the cars in St. Maarten have the locks screwdrivered. Look at them when you get a rental car. They are always broken into. The economic turmoil has changed the world including in St. Maarten. Keep your belongings with you and always have one person looking after the items if you are at the beach. Petty thieves are common.

Anyway enough negative, back to the Royal Palm Beach Resort. Very nice beach. A couple of jewelry vendors are allowed on the beach by the resort and a couple ladies that do wonderful massages (so my wife says).

Snorkelling pretty good right out front along rocks, lots of colorful fish and the odd skate.
Fishing, bring your shore/ surf gear. Lots of fishing along rocks on ocean or river side near bridge (comes from the large lagoon) sea bass, snapper, Rays, sharks, and who knows what else . There are some barbecues along beach for grilling your catch.

Rooms, very spacious , well air conditioned, great balcony, huge kitchen, 3 flatscreens, large showers. Small elevators and only two at centre of building so it is a bit of a walk if you are at the end units , but you cant have everything. Sliding doors to balcony enter from master or from living room ( the door are heavy duty framing and are a bit of a chore to open because of weight)
Security, parking gated and manned in off hours. Didn't here of any problems while at resort. They have a security person.

Grounds are kept very nice, always some painting, trimming, cleaning, washing going on in the early morning.

Eats, try Toppers bar (awesome seafood fingerfood) just down the street or Vesna Taverna over bridge short walk (vesna is first place open for miles with coffee and breakfast at 530am primerib awesome)

didn't try the hotel restaurant but heard from the Candy Store owner in Phillipsburg that the all you can eat ribs on sundays are amazing.

Despite what happened to us , you should rent a car for a few days at least and see it all. Alamo over the bridge, short walk 140.00 $ for a few days , including insurance

Room Tip: third floor and up have best ocean view and rooms near centre of building are near pool and bar if you want action or stay to either end of building for quieter location. Lower rooms near center don't have as good ocean view because of palm tree tops. Fresh baguettes every morning at variety store on hotel property 1.50$ amazing , open 7am.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank 734jeff
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Hotel is dated, but comfortable and clean. Hotel staff, semi-friendly,very helpful. Bar and restaurant staff, semi-friendly. Slow in August. Beach is average, setting/ location is very nice and convenient. Airport noise is not a problem. Taxi 282 is great. Do not shop at local market, but to to Phillipsburg (The Fresh Market) and save 30- 50%. Day trip to Pickly Pear, excellent investment. Wave runners, great investment. French side, worth the ride, but pricey. If you rent a car, go small. The setting makes it. Don't expect America.

Room Tip: High room gets great view, 1st floor offers walk-out w/ grille. Airport side (high,end) probably best view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tworoadsdiverging
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed at RP for 3 nites at the beginning of our stay and then one night at the end. This place is close to the airport, so it's only about a 5 min drive and you are there. We had some problems getting a room - got a noisy one on the first floor before I had to complain twice that we needed a new one. We have 2 kids and we were right outside the pool area. After a little bit of finagling, we got put on the second floor. The rooms both had a king bed - the kitchen area was large, the fridge has a built in ice cube and water dispenser which was nice. The windows open up ALL the way, so you can enjoy the view. Might get buggy though, so I'd watch that. We got bitten a lot on this side of the island, and had more rain here than on the eastern side. The pool itself is kind of small in my estimation and the beach is hard sand. The water is crystal clear and not rough at all. We went to Lee's roadhouse across the street for dinner 2X - we really loved the live music, the food was great, and there are big fish swimming right off the back dock. Careful with little kids though, they can go right over. We also went to pineapple pete's on the last night - ok food and drinks, but a very well run place. More a US standard. Can't miss getting french pastries and a baguette each morning at either Taste factory of Le Sucriere - at Le Suc they were a lot nicer I thought. Oh, and I thought the beds were comfy. The doors in the rooms were weird though, too many of them hitting into the dressers, the beds, it was kind of tight.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JackiZ
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family and I stayed at this rosort from July 19- Aug 2, 2013. We've been coming to St. Martin for a few years now but, this was the first time we stayed at Royal Palm. We like the place. We had a 2BR unit (RCI exchange). At first we were offered a room on the 2nd flr but, my wife prefers the higer floors so the front desk attendant put us on the 4th flr (out of 5 total floors).
We had a really ocean view overlooking the boats. The front desk staff was really friendly and by day 2, I felt like I've known them for a long time. the 2br units had a lot of space and a balcony off the master. We had a full kitchen with all the utencils, 2 br, living room w/ a pull out sofa and a 2nd living room with a pull out sofa and tv, and it also have a door. So in reality, we had 3 bedrooms.

There are a couple grills near the beach that you can use if you desire. The beach at the resort was clean and calm. The pool bar was nice too.

Lot's of restaurants near by so you dont even need to drive to them. Would definitely go back to Royal Palms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tony J
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Many of the comments are on point... good service, updated suites, near restaurants & shops. We had a great ocean view.. 2bdrm unit on the 5th floor! Really enjoyed our trip but I think you really should get a car for a couple days so you can experience other areas of the island..ie French side!! Check out the Tango dinner cruise with Aqua Mania.. best fun we had on the trip!

Room Tip: Ocean view on the 5th floor was just awesome! Also, the Tango dinner cruise was the best fun we had on the trip!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family