“Had a ball at The Royal Palm Beach in St.Maarten”

Royal Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
Michigan, USA
“Had a ball at The Royal Palm Beach in St.Maarten”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2009

First of all I would like to say that that WE HAD A BALL IN ST.MAARTEN at THE ROYAL PALM BEACH RESORT. I was in St.Maarten with my wife, my daughter, my neice, my sister and one of my main partners. At first I wasn't to sure that the resort was going to work for us because it was vvery nice but not elegant. We setteled into very nice rooms. The rooms were very large with very comfortable bedding, the kitchen was clean with granite counter tops, nice appliances, cooking utinsels and dinner ware ,two bedroom/two bathroom, living room with large windows ,You could see the beautiful Carribean waters from the living room or from the balcony. The rooms were clean and the maid service was fine. There is plenty to do, resturants right across the from the resorts , shopping nearby, grocery stores, atm machines, casinos , jet sking, parasailing, karaoke night at the resort and sunset dinner cruises to name a few. Get a rental so that u can drive around and see both the French and Dutch side of the island. the swimming pool is not very large but it is nice. The private beach is very nice but get some beach shoes if you go into the ocean , the ocean bed may be rocky in spots but that s' very minor. It hits you the second day, you look out from your balcony and see the Carribean waters and it is a magnificant view. We were ther for 13 days and can 't wait to go back. The staff was freindly and helpful. the food at at the resort is very reasonable and quite tasty. I 've read some post and you can sometimes run into minor things, but IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME AT A VERY NICE LOCATION AT A VERY NICE RESORT THE ROYAL PALMS IS THE PLACE.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank palmtree58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

Our stay in late April 2009 was a delight. The staff was delightful and we found the room very pleasant. It was slightly larger than most 2 bedroom units and all the amenities were present. The showers are fully tiled and large! The sheets were first class!

I did not experince any crawlers and overall I thought the resort was very clean

It is located near some very good resturants all within walking distance. The beach was not as bad as some reviewers indicated but still could use some work by sifting out the rocks and shells. Entering the water was very easy if you picked the right spot. The pool is very nice if a little shallow.

The hot water that others mentioned still seems to be an issue as are the mosquitos. Warning that if you need internet there is no in room internet. You must go to the lobby and it is a little on the slow side(but that is relative).

Overall, I would certainly return to Royal Palms

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

We just returned after a week's stay. The rooms were great, as was the view and location. The service was good at both the pool bar & upstairs lounge. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The ONLY negative was the amount of mosquitoes in our room. It seemed to only effect the first floor by the gym. I would definitely recommend Royal Palm.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

I read all the reviews for the Royal Palm Beach a few weeks before going to stay at the Royal Palm Beach. I can say after reading the review by Lakerone, Oct 27, 2008 I was beginning to wonder what I was getting into. I was afraid of what the trip would be like staying at the Royal Palm Beach.

My husband, grown daughter and I just got back from St. Maarten last Friday March 6, 2009, we spent two weeks at Royal Palm Beach. I can say that I found very little of the things that Lakerone reported.

We had a wonderful room, the room was spacious, and clean, we got clean towels daily, and our room was completely cleaned from top to bottom every three days including moping the floors. We always had hot water, but a couple of times we had low water pressure but that didn’t stop us from having a good time or even think of complaining. The floors and walkways were “dirty” with sand from the beach but that is hard to not have some grime when you are on the beach. The front door of our room was so air tight we didn’t even know when the wind was blowing. We heard no noise from our neighbors at all, except when we left the sliding door open every night but even that was just talking or kids playing and it was all quiet by the time we went to bed for the night. I loved to hear the sea as I went to sleep so our bedroom sliding door was always open all night. We had a few mosquitoes but not many, we kept all the windows open all day, I loved the fact that the living room and balcony doors didn’t have screens, who would want to have such a wonderful view and have to view it through a screen?
The one elevator was still undergoing repair, the other one didn’t stop on the second floor which was the floor we were on, but the stair well was easy to use, it was well lit and not dirty at all. The bathroom had adequate lighting, even in the shower, there is no overhead light in the shower but we had plenty of light even at night time in the shower and our shower was clean. The only time we had an odor in our room was when we turned on the A/C, which wasn’t frequent, we opened the windows and turned on the ceiling fans and were very comfortable.

It is true that there are none of the health inspections for restaurants, but all the food we got was fresh and well prepared from the restaurants, none of us have ever gotten sick from eating in St. Maarten and this was our second trip. We even drank the tap water with no ill results. I like the freedom from all the restrictions the US puts on everyone. We bought food at the local Grande Marche, even fresh meat and had no problems. We went into a bakery and there was a man sitting in there with his dog and I didn’t even think twice about it until later when I realized how lucky they could take their pets with them even in a restaurant. The restaurant and swim up bar at the Royal Palm Beach also had wonderful personnel, that went out of their way to make you feel at home. The pool and beach had adequate beach lounge chairs, we never had a problem getting three chairs together at any time. The beach was plenty big for everyone there, it was a little rocky but I went barefoot most of the time with no problems. The pool was also a nice size, always room for everyone. They were still doing repairs at the far end of the resort near the deep water channel, but it was done as not to disturb anyone as best they could do and it was just a few hours a day.

My thought is we are going to another country which has different rules and regulations and a different culture than the USA. I go to enjoy that culture and see how others live. It is true there are very few sidewalks, but walking on the side of the road was no problem, everyone did it. There is trash around and some homes needed to be maintained but that is the way they live, you are visiting them, and I am sure some of them are doing the best that they can do. I just see it as a different way of life in another country. When you go to the island, keep an open mind and learn to enjoy the moment and don’t stress over the little things. We had a wonderful time, and enjoyed every minute. I would stay at the Royal Palm Beach resort again anytime. You can’t go to St. Maarten expecting to find the same things you find in the good old USA.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CAtraveler2009
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2009

Rooms are large with a full kitchen and living room. Everything is remodeled with granite countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms. A phenomenal view of the Caribbean Ocean, and the back of the hotel faces an inlet where mega yachts are as common as Chevy Impala's.

The hotel is in the middle of Simpson's Bay, and there is only a short walk to go to a dozen restaurants, shops and casinos. It is nice being so close to all the action, but not having to see it or hear it when you are in your room. However, it is not the location for someone that wants a private and secluded vacation, that would be better accomplished on the French side of the island.

They are renovating the elevators, so there is sometimes a wait to get up to your floor. The staff is friendly and efficient. The island seems very safe and has a tremendous selection of good restaurants. We found a French bakery that was to die for. The traffic is sometimes overwhelming, in particular when the drawbridge goes up to let the mega yachts into the lagoon.

It is definitely like going to heaven when you leave a snowstorm, and you have a beautiful view of the Caribbean Ocean and 80° temperatures every day, what could be bad. Well maybe one thing could be better, they need a few new golf courses with reasonable green fees.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank jnoren
bronx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

St. Maarten is my favorite island and the Royal Palm's service is impeccable! Car rental on the island is quite inexpensive and there are numerous restaurants within walking distance. St. Maarten is one of the safest islands that I have travelled. Tours are fantastic going to Shoal Bay in Anguilla, along with Prickly Pear and St. Barts. Shoal Bay is like dying and going to heaven. The Royal Palm has a quaint restaurant that serves delicious food and a swim up bar that's on Simpson Bay.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank tanyabronx
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

We spent Christmas and New Year's weeks at The Royal Palm. We normally stay at Royal Islander & La Terrase at Maho and were a little nervous to try something else. We were so pleasantly surprised. The rooms (while smaller than La Plage and much nicer) are very nicely appointed with a full, updated kitchen, comfortable living room furniture and great beds/linens. Like most timeshares, maid service is available on a daily/semi daily (your choice) basis for a fee. We chose every other day (with two small kids!). There are two free cleanings per week as well. We did not have any problems with the hot water but we often showered earlier when our kids did. While the windows do open completely in the living room to give you an outside feel, there are no screens and mosquitos are a problem at times. We did, however, have a screen on the master bdrm door. The views are really nice and the resort is much quieter than Maho. Our front door (if you are on the bridge side) overlooked the bridge where all the mega-yachts come in and out of Simpson Bay. It is so much fun to watch them and the kids constantly asked if it was 4:30p or 5:30p so they could see them. Parking there is also much easier and there is no fee. The pool is a little small but it was never really a problem. The beach is great especially for young kids as it is really calm and flat. You definitely need water shoes as it is rocky but great shell collecting! Shoes can be purchased in the stores on site. The elevators were under repair but we never waited long for the one that was working. We often used the stairs as well. The 2nd floor bar is great for watching boats and getting online using WiFi. Last we heard they were working on a wireless system for the units. The staff was very friendly and really went out of their way on occasion. We would definitely go back as we are seasoned timeshare people. But, we always remember that if we want a first class luxurious resort, we head for a Four Seasons etc. This is not that but a great place for a family vacation with condo-type living...

• Liked — updated units and beach, location was great and yacht watching
  • Disliked — mosquitos, small pool, traffic
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank EHS216
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!