“Love The Royal Palm”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
The Villages, Florida
“Love The Royal Palm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

Just got back from the Royal Palm in Simpson Bay. We stayed 10 days. They are still working on the elevators, but it was clean. The units are really big. They put in all new bedding. The food at the resort is a good value & it's always very good. We love the pool & the swim up bar. Also the beach is really nice. It's a great spot to walk to all the restaurants & the Dolphin Casino is right next door. There are many very good restaurants. Lees, Skip Jacks, The Boathouse & Ric's Place just to name a few. This was our third vacation at the Royal Palm. Don't hesitate to go there no matter what the reviews say. Next year it will be for 2 weeks.

We also like to go to Sunset Bar & watch the planes come in. Our favorite restaurant is Taloula Mangos in town on the Board Walk.
We did the Tango dinner cruise which is very nice & the food is great.

We did the Celine Pub Crawl this time with Captain Neil on his catamaran. What a blast. You do the pub crawl by boat going to different restaurants around the Simpson Lagoon. It's an open bar. Lots of drinks !! We started at Skip Jacks, then Uncle Harrys & finished up at the Blue Martini. We cruise a bit in between restaurants. Each restaurant has special food that is prepared for the group. Everyone had so much fun. This is one of those trips you should do if you go to St. Maarten. The cost was $75.00 per person. It was worth every penny. It's a must do. There is also a sunset cruise on the Celine.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

This resort is in the best location on the island. Plenty of resteraunts and onsite amenities. The pool is pretty small and the ocean water is very rocky, however the rooms are wonderful with plenty of room and modern facilities. We have been to the island 4 times and this is the best resort we have stayed at yet. Don't forget, you can take the bus for a buck or two to any other areas of the island - like philipsburg to shop or Maho Bay. Lee's roadside grill across the street from this resort is GREAT food for excellent prices. Plents of excursions go out of this area as well! Enjoy. We will be back soon!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank budrow02
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

As usual, some reviews on here had me feeling cautious. But I was very happy with our stay at the Royal Palm Beach. Our condo had obviously been renovated recently. The beds were plush and comfy, the bathrooms spacious. Most of the staff was quite helpful and hard-working. The location is perfect, right across the street from lots of restaurants and nightlife, yet still a quiet beachside retreat. We saw some of the busier beaches on the French side of the island and were happy with our own.

Happy Hour at the pool bar every day from 4:00-6:00 with 2 drinks for $5 was a favorite event!!

We did several excursions with Aqua Mania - the America's Cup 12 Meter Challenge was a total blast! Our trip to Saba was fun, but the high-speed ferry can induce motion sickness - I never get sick on boats, but I thought I might lose my breakfast on this one. We also did the sunset sail on Lambada - the weather wasn't great but we drank a lot and had quite an entertaining evening! The crew was a lot of fun.

Some of my favorite restaurants were SkipJack's and Halsey's. Great food, great service, great atmosphere. I wouldn't recommend Lee's, unless you absolutely have to have ribs. Zee Best is great for breakfast, and both Pizza Gallery and Buccaneer Beach Bar serve up a yummy pizza. All of these are within walking distance from the resort.

One warning - I don't think it's made obvious enough that many places ONLY take cash! For example, Zee Best, Pizza Galley and Buccaneer Beach Bar. I had brought a lot of cash and saw many ATMs, though.

It's great that they take American money and speak English. Everyone we went, people told us to come back next year. I enjoy seeing new places every year, but I think St. Maarten (and the Royal Palm) is one place I'd visit again and again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kim H
Michigan, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2009

First of all I would like to say that that WE HAD A BALL IN ST.MAARTEN at THE ROYAL PALM BEACH RESORT. I was in St.Maarten with my wife, my daughter, my neice, my sister and one of my main partners. At first I wasn't to sure that the resort was going to work for us because it was vvery nice but not elegant. We setteled into very nice rooms. The rooms were very large with very comfortable bedding, the kitchen was clean with granite counter tops, nice appliances, cooking utinsels and dinner ware ,two bedroom/two bathroom, living room with large windows ,You could see the beautiful Carribean waters from the living room or from the balcony. The rooms were clean and the maid service was fine. There is plenty to do, resturants right across the from the resorts , shopping nearby, grocery stores, atm machines, casinos , jet sking, parasailing, karaoke night at the resort and sunset dinner cruises to name a few. Get a rental so that u can drive around and see both the French and Dutch side of the island. the swimming pool is not very large but it is nice. The private beach is very nice but get some beach shoes if you go into the ocean , the ocean bed may be rocky in spots but that s' very minor. It hits you the second day, you look out from your balcony and see the Carribean waters and it is a magnificant view. We were ther for 13 days and can 't wait to go back. The staff was freindly and helpful. the food at at the resort is very reasonable and quite tasty. I 've read some post and you can sometimes run into minor things, but IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME AT A VERY NICE LOCATION AT A VERY NICE RESORT THE ROYAL PALMS IS THE PLACE.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank palmtree58
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

Our stay in late April 2009 was a delight. The staff was delightful and we found the room very pleasant. It was slightly larger than most 2 bedroom units and all the amenities were present. The showers are fully tiled and large! The sheets were first class!

I did not experince any crawlers and overall I thought the resort was very clean

It is located near some very good resturants all within walking distance. The beach was not as bad as some reviewers indicated but still could use some work by sifting out the rocks and shells. Entering the water was very easy if you picked the right spot. The pool is very nice if a little shallow.

The hot water that others mentioned still seems to be an issue as are the mosquitos. Warning that if you need internet there is no in room internet. You must go to the lobby and it is a little on the slow side(but that is relative).

Overall, I would certainly return to Royal Palms

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

We just returned after a week's stay. The rooms were great, as was the view and location. The service was good at both the pool bar & upstairs lounge. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The ONLY negative was the amount of mosquitoes in our room. It seemed to only effect the first floor by the gym. I would definitely recommend Royal Palm.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

I read all the reviews for the Royal Palm Beach a few weeks before going to stay at the Royal Palm Beach. I can say after reading the review by Lakerone, Oct 27, 2008 I was beginning to wonder what I was getting into. I was afraid of what the trip would be like staying at the Royal Palm Beach.

My husband, grown daughter and I just got back from St. Maarten last Friday March 6, 2009, we spent two weeks at Royal Palm Beach. I can say that I found very little of the things that Lakerone reported.

We had a wonderful room, the room was spacious, and clean, we got clean towels daily, and our room was completely cleaned from top to bottom every three days including moping the floors. We always had hot water, but a couple of times we had low water pressure but that didn’t stop us from having a good time or even think of complaining. The floors and walkways were “dirty” with sand from the beach but that is hard to not have some grime when you are on the beach. The front door of our room was so air tight we didn’t even know when the wind was blowing. We heard no noise from our neighbors at all, except when we left the sliding door open every night but even that was just talking or kids playing and it was all quiet by the time we went to bed for the night. I loved to hear the sea as I went to sleep so our bedroom sliding door was always open all night. We had a few mosquitoes but not many, we kept all the windows open all day, I loved the fact that the living room and balcony doors didn’t have screens, who would want to have such a wonderful view and have to view it through a screen?
The one elevator was still undergoing repair, the other one didn’t stop on the second floor which was the floor we were on, but the stair well was easy to use, it was well lit and not dirty at all. The bathroom had adequate lighting, even in the shower, there is no overhead light in the shower but we had plenty of light even at night time in the shower and our shower was clean. The only time we had an odor in our room was when we turned on the A/C, which wasn’t frequent, we opened the windows and turned on the ceiling fans and were very comfortable.

It is true that there are none of the health inspections for restaurants, but all the food we got was fresh and well prepared from the restaurants, none of us have ever gotten sick from eating in St. Maarten and this was our second trip. We even drank the tap water with no ill results. I like the freedom from all the restrictions the US puts on everyone. We bought food at the local Grande Marche, even fresh meat and had no problems. We went into a bakery and there was a man sitting in there with his dog and I didn’t even think twice about it until later when I realized how lucky they could take their pets with them even in a restaurant. The restaurant and swim up bar at the Royal Palm Beach also had wonderful personnel, that went out of their way to make you feel at home. The pool and beach had adequate beach lounge chairs, we never had a problem getting three chairs together at any time. The beach was plenty big for everyone there, it was a little rocky but I went barefoot most of the time with no problems. The pool was also a nice size, always room for everyone. They were still doing repairs at the far end of the resort near the deep water channel, but it was done as not to disturb anyone as best they could do and it was just a few hours a day.

My thought is we are going to another country which has different rules and regulations and a different culture than the USA. I go to enjoy that culture and see how others live. It is true there are very few sidewalks, but walking on the side of the road was no problem, everyone did it. There is trash around and some homes needed to be maintained but that is the way they live, you are visiting them, and I am sure some of them are doing the best that they can do. I just see it as a different way of life in another country. When you go to the island, keep an open mind and learn to enjoy the moment and don’t stress over the little things. We had a wonderful time, and enjoyed every minute. I would stay at the Royal Palm Beach resort again anytime. You can’t go to St. Maarten expecting to find the same things you find in the good old USA.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!