“Great Hotel, with a not so nice front desk service”

Royal Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My husband arrived at the Royal Palm on 5/31 and were only staying for 3 days/2 nights. We had just spent 7 days on Anguilla and were spending time in St Maarten at the end of the trip. We were able to book the room through my parents - they are timeshare owners with Diamond Resorts. We will just say we did not have a good impression from the start because of the front desk. We arrived before check in, so maybe this was part of the problem. We had taken a ferry over from Anguilla and arrived there around 1pm. We had our luggage, so we asked them if there was any chance of being able to check in only. Basically they went through the motions, gave us our towel cards and said to come back at 4pm for our room number. We could store our luggage in the office until then. Fine - so we hung out at the pool for a little while, then decided to walk and see what was around. Came back at 4:15pm, to get our room number - and the woman acted like she was put out. Told us she doubted our room was ready, but she would check. Luckily the room was ready. Now the rooms are absolutely wonderful. Kitchens have granite counter tops and up to date appliances, the bathrooms are tile and plenty of room. With the 2 bedroom, 2 bath - the rooms would easily accomodate 4 people with no problems and not seem crowded at all. The pool is small for the size of the hotel, but that could be common for the island. The beach is nice size. Wish we were staying there longer so as to be able to take advantage of all the tours/excursions that are there. The rest of the staff we encountered (bar, restaurant) were exceptional nice - it is just sad that we got a bad 1st impression. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and I do plan on going back. There is a restaurant across the street called Lee's Roadside Grill - the food is absolutely amazing. We were there for 3 days and ate 1 lunch and 2 dinners. Reasonably prices for food and drinks and so convenient!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 May 2009

Just got back from the Royal Palm in Simpson Bay. We stayed 10 days. They are still working on the elevators, but it was clean. The units are really big. They put in all new bedding. The food at the resort is a good value & it's always very good. We love the pool & the swim up bar. Also the beach is really nice. It's a great spot to walk to all the restaurants & the Dolphin Casino is right next door. There are many very good restaurants. Lees, Skip Jacks, The Boathouse & Ric's Place just to name a few. This was our third vacation at the Royal Palm. Don't hesitate to go there no matter what the reviews say. Next year it will be for 2 weeks.

We also like to go to Sunset Bar & watch the planes come in. Our favorite restaurant is Taloula Mangos in town on the Board Walk.
We did the Tango dinner cruise which is very nice & the food is great.

We did the Celine Pub Crawl this time with Captain Neil on his catamaran. What a blast. You do the pub crawl by boat going to different restaurants around the Simpson Lagoon. It's an open bar. Lots of drinks !! We started at Skip Jacks, then Uncle Harrys & finished up at the Blue Martini. We cruise a bit in between restaurants. Each restaurant has special food that is prepared for the group. Everyone had so much fun. This is one of those trips you should do if you go to St. Maarten. The cost was $75.00 per person. It was worth every penny. It's a must do. There is also a sunset cruise on the Celine.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This resort is in the best location on the island. Plenty of resteraunts and onsite amenities. The pool is pretty small and the ocean water is very rocky, however the rooms are wonderful with plenty of room and modern facilities. We have been to the island 4 times and this is the best resort we have stayed at yet. Don't forget, you can take the bus for a buck or two to any other areas of the island - like philipsburg to shop or Maho Bay. Lee's roadside grill across the street from this resort is GREAT food for excellent prices. Plents of excursions go out of this area as well! Enjoy. We will be back soon!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank budrow02
Reviewed 20 May 2009

As usual, some reviews on here had me feeling cautious. But I was very happy with our stay at the Royal Palm Beach. Our condo had obviously been renovated recently. The beds were plush and comfy, the bathrooms spacious. Most of the staff was quite helpful and hard-working. The location is perfect, right across the street from lots of restaurants and nightlife, yet still a quiet beachside retreat. We saw some of the busier beaches on the French side of the island and were happy with our own.

Happy Hour at the pool bar every day from 4:00-6:00 with 2 drinks for $5 was a favorite event!!

We did several excursions with Aqua Mania - the America's Cup 12 Meter Challenge was a total blast! Our trip to Saba was fun, but the high-speed ferry can induce motion sickness - I never get sick on boats, but I thought I might lose my breakfast on this one. We also did the sunset sail on Lambada - the weather wasn't great but we drank a lot and had quite an entertaining evening! The crew was a lot of fun.

Some of my favorite restaurants were SkipJack's and Halsey's. Great food, great service, great atmosphere. I wouldn't recommend Lee's, unless you absolutely have to have ribs. Zee Best is great for breakfast, and both Pizza Gallery and Buccaneer Beach Bar serve up a yummy pizza. All of these are within walking distance from the resort.

One warning - I don't think it's made obvious enough that many places ONLY take cash! For example, Zee Best, Pizza Galley and Buccaneer Beach Bar. I had brought a lot of cash and saw many ATMs, though.

It's great that they take American money and speak English. Everyone we went, people told us to come back next year. I enjoy seeing new places every year, but I think St. Maarten (and the Royal Palm) is one place I'd visit again and again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kim H
Reviewed 2 May 2009

First of all I would like to say that that WE HAD A BALL IN ST.MAARTEN at THE ROYAL PALM BEACH RESORT. I was in St.Maarten with my wife, my daughter, my neice, my sister and one of my main partners. At first I wasn't to sure that the resort was going to work for us because it was vvery nice but not elegant. We setteled into very nice rooms. The rooms were very large with very comfortable bedding, the kitchen was clean with granite counter tops, nice appliances, cooking utinsels and dinner ware ,two bedroom/two bathroom, living room with large windows ,You could see the beautiful Carribean waters from the living room or from the balcony. The rooms were clean and the maid service was fine. There is plenty to do, resturants right across the from the resorts , shopping nearby, grocery stores, atm machines, casinos , jet sking, parasailing, karaoke night at the resort and sunset dinner cruises to name a few. Get a rental so that u can drive around and see both the French and Dutch side of the island. the swimming pool is not very large but it is nice. The private beach is very nice but get some beach shoes if you go into the ocean , the ocean bed may be rocky in spots but that s' very minor. It hits you the second day, you look out from your balcony and see the Carribean waters and it is a magnificant view. We were ther for 13 days and can 't wait to go back. The staff was freindly and helpful. the food at at the resort is very reasonable and quite tasty. I 've read some post and you can sometimes run into minor things, but IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME AT A VERY NICE LOCATION AT A VERY NICE RESORT THE ROYAL PALMS IS THE PLACE.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank palmtree58
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Our stay in late April 2009 was a delight. The staff was delightful and we found the room very pleasant. It was slightly larger than most 2 bedroom units and all the amenities were present. The showers are fully tiled and large! The sheets were first class!

I did not experince any crawlers and overall I thought the resort was very clean

It is located near some very good resturants all within walking distance. The beach was not as bad as some reviewers indicated but still could use some work by sifting out the rocks and shells. Entering the water was very easy if you picked the right spot. The pool is very nice if a little shallow.

The hot water that others mentioned still seems to be an issue as are the mosquitos. Warning that if you need internet there is no in room internet. You must go to the lobby and it is a little on the slow side(but that is relative).

Overall, I would certainly return to Royal Palms

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We just returned after a week's stay. The rooms were great, as was the view and location. The service was good at both the pool bar & upstairs lounge. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The ONLY negative was the amount of mosquitoes in our room. It seemed to only effect the first floor by the gym. I would definitely recommend Royal Palm.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#2 of 8 in Grand Case

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!