“Comfy for your money”

The Bird In Hand
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beck Row
“Comfy for your money”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed hear Saturday night and it was the best nights sleep in ages room was clean and tidy never heard any noise food was brilliant and the staff was very helpful and they had entertainment on and everyone was enjoying it and so did I staff were friendly and fast and always come back and checked on us and they where there when we needed them so thank u nettie ( the manager ) and your team for a brilliant night and great fun will be back soon and £39.95 for a room it's value for money

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stay here at the Bird in Hand hotel on and off every couple of months, have seen managers come and go, but I must say that with the exception of a lovely couple from about 6 years ago, the current management has worked incredibly hard to get this place back up and running. It has been let down by the past few years of change, but in my most recent stay I was pleasantly surprised to find that the same manager is still there, and she was decorating and cleaning the rooms herself (don't find that in many places!!) The hotel rooms are of a standard that you would expect, and as for the hot water, what do you expect...3 rooms per immersion heater was explained to me, as when you run it for a while it is bound to run out of heat, clearly an old system that needs updating, BUT this is out of the staffs control.
Hearing rumours that the menu has changed at the Bird, I thought I would give it a whirl, and was suitably impressed!! The menu suits the American clientelle to the earth, and have to say, the portions were very reasonable (barely had room for dessert!!). I couldn't fault the staff, even though it was extremely busy in my most recent stay, they stayed on the ball, polite and friendly, had banter going with the regulars and it was a fantastic atmosphere. And in Response to "Anthony" free wifi is advertised all over the pub...but I have never seen it advertised in the rooms, and you can't expect one small modem to reach the entire 50+ rooms that are there. Something tells me you hold a grudge for some reason. Too much anger there. Maybe you'd be better suited to Travel Inn - bog standard EVERYTHING, including moronic and robotic staff!!

I will DEFINITELY be back at the Bird soon, and cannot wait, every stay is as enjoyable as the last.

(BTW Margaret...I have a different room every time...never had any problems other than a bit of dust which is by-the-by)

Room Tip: The roons on the block behind the building are probably the quietest
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa M
durham
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed at the bird in hand 2 years ago as you will see from my previous review "Bad mouth visitors" So therefore had no hesitation in booking recently for a night whilst visiting family in the area again. The cost of the room was reasonable for what you get with regards the room. It was clean and decoration was not bad. However only half the light fittings had bulbs in and one side of the built in headboard was missing it's bedside table. I managed to get a decent shower before dinner, but the hot water ran out halfway through the wife's shower. I did mention this fact to a member of staff and the answer was " Well there is only one hot tank and immersion to each block" with a daft grin and a shrug of the shoulders! So if you want a shower get in early before there is only cold water left. Then came the bar, OMG! the lady that was serving at the time was very slow anyway, but on completing the order of the gentleman ahead of us suddenly rushed straight past us to serve one of her regulars, "oh well" I thought next time at the bar same thing again. Family arrive so we all go to sit and eat order our meals at the bar. 2 meals finally arrive at the table the other 3 arrived 10 minutes later. very small portions and surly service from the same person that thought a cold shower was funny. Thanks KATE! At the end of the evening i made the mistake of asking Kate "does the WIFI work in the rooms" to which she replied No, "but why do you advertise it then I asked" another smirk! "it's in the bar" was the curt reply. Would I stay again? maybe would I use the bar and restaurant not a hope in hell. My advise to Greene King, is check your staff and train them correctly. Just in case you think I don't know what I am taking about, my wife and I have worked in the hospitality trade for over 30 years, we may not know everything but we do know the customer is king.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the camp gate they run a noisy generator on the gate at night
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anthony Stephen c

Travellers are raving about these Beck Row hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I echo the comments made by Kerry B and sue C. The accommodation I had was not quite as dirty as Kerry B's but equally bad as far as mould on the ceiling and I do consider this to be a health risk. The toilet in my room had also come away from the floor and could have caused an accident. The furniture has definitely seen better days but that could be forgiven if you felt it was as clean as it could be. I had some photographs taken but they are not available for me to upload at the moment but I felt compelled to make a comment now in view of the remarks made by Rex16. It may be because of the long term stay that Rex16 has been given a better room. Several guests that stayed at the same time as I did, also commented to me on the poor condition of the premises. I do not consider this value for money to be exposed to such awful conditions. The restaurant was o.k but things kept running out and this was happening from when we first arrived the previous day. The last straw was when we were told that the orange juice for breakfast had run out because people took advantage of it and when breakfast was being served to some people they were told that the bread would be along shortly as they were waiting for it to defrost. I cannot consider this as service second to none. There were quite a few of us that stayed that evening but quite a long notice period had been given to the Bird in Hand and I believe they should have been better prepared.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I work for Vinci Facilities at RAF Mildenhall/Lakenheath as a Contracts Manager.As i live far from home, During the week, i have been lodging at the "Bird" for the last 18 months.While it is true the facilities suffer from a lack of investment by Greene King,My own room and others that i have stayed in have always been very good and are cleaned on a daily basis.This, Coupled with the excellant service from Nettie(Manager) and her staff, Is the reason i have stayed so long.I have eaten in the pub on many occasions and witnessed people from many walks of life enjoying their meals and have never heard any complaints.The atmosphere in the bar is excellant and better than my own local back home.There is an ongoing programme of works to bring all rooms up to the standard of my own but please do not be put off by other reviews on this site as the "Bird" is great value for money with a service second to none.My company would pay for me to stay in more expensive esablishments in the area but, Because of the reasons i have stated, I will continue to stay at the "Bird" while i work in this area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rex16
hertfordshire
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I think we should have been paid to have spent the night in this place!!! It was rotten!
Skid marks in the loo, filthy stained carpets and black mould covering the bathroom ceiling.
I am still in shock. Felt dirty from the time we arrived till the time we left. My 2 sisters also had rooms that were slightly better but looking at Kerry's photos, think her room may have been worse than mine!!
Really think that the place should be closed down as it could be a health risk! Never stayed anywhere quite as bad as this and hope I never will again!
Avoid if you can!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Spent the night there last night as we had a family party nearby. I was expecting basic accommodation for the price but my god I did not expect filth too! I could not use the hand basin as it was so filthy, there was mould all over the ceiling in the bathroom, the shower was disgusting so much so that I could not use it and had to wait until I got home to shower, I could go on. When I complained to the manager I was met with some surprise - apparently they had checked the rooms that morning and were aware that there was still some dusting to do!!! I have been told to complain the head office which I shall be doing. Not sure how far I wil get!!

Room Tip: Just dont go there. Find somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Tuddenham
Brandon House
Brandon House
#1 of 1 in Brandon

Been to The Bird In Hand? Share your experiences!