“Historic place and peaceful setting”

Ranked #9 of 31 things to do in Iowa City
More attraction details
Owner description: At this site in the mid-19th century, Mormons prepared for the trip to Salt Lake City.
Reviewed 14 June 2013

To me, this place was very meaningful, as I had ancestors who actually camped in this location on their handcart trek west. For that, I'd give it the highest rating. For the average person who isn't interested in Mormon Pioneers, it may just be average. We found this place quite on accident while looking for the nearest Dairy Queen in Iowa City. The walk is peaceful and because of the personal connection, I felt like I was walking on sacred ground. There are signs along the path to educate visitors, and even though the bugs were plentiful, they added to the authenticity of the pioneer experience. If I had brought my young children, they wouldn't have appreciated it unless we'd also brought a picnic, but as it was, I loved the short walk down to the pioneer burial ground area.

6  Thank WesternBusinesswoman

Reviewed 15 March 2013

This short trail leads to another Univ of Iowa extension trail which continues along the creekside trail amongst the trees on the SW corner of Hgwy 6 and Morman Trek Blvd. Markers and signs educate walkers as to this historic trail. Small parking area.

2  Thank Skypond3041
Reviewed 23 January 2013

It is right on an excellent bike bath. I stopped one time after riding past in many times. There is not much there but it does make you wonder about the incredible journey that occurred on this same path so many years ago. If you are driving down I-80 and need a place to get out and walk a bit for a few minutes this would be perfect. It would be good for kids as well they could run wild here without fear of cars etc.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

In itself, it is just a nature walk but the story of what the Mormons were trying to do with handcarts across the prairie, eventually to Utah is definitely something to contemplate in this natural setting.

2  Thank Craig H
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Not a bad place for a walk but there is not much to see here and nothing to do. A plaque with the history on it. Around the area are some trails that you walk or bike on.

2  Thank IaTravel