“Watch the chips.”

Cuisines: Mexican
Iowa City, Iowa
“Watch the chips.”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I like the food, but one day we got soggy chips (from liquid not oil) that must have been reused from an earlier table...just cannot go back now.

Midwest City, Oklahoma
“So good, I had them cater my wedding party!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The fact that I chose La Reyna as the restaurant to cater my own wedding party should be a testament to how good I think their food it. In fact, I had only eaten lunch at this restaurant one time before choosing them to do our food, but I had eaten many times at the families other restaurant in another city and always loved it.
The owners are so incredibly nice and sincere; they are truly genuine people. They appreciate their customers tremendously, and are always kind and fun to be around.
The food is exceptional. They make their own flour tortillas that were on par with the handmade tortillas I ate down in Guatemala on our honeymoon. The tamales and the chile rellanos are authentic and delicious. We had them do fajitas for 100 of our guests and everyone was shocked at how good the food was. So many people asked where it was from that I announced it so I could stop repeating myself! People loved it and I'm so glad we had them do our food. Eat at their restaurant and enjoy their food!

• Visited July 2011

ID#: 114609459

Restaurant - La Reyna Mexican Restaurant

1937 Keokuk Street
Iowa City, IA 52240

Exceptional. This restaurant was worth the trip. Several of our party commented this was the BEST Mexican restaurant ever.

Very cute restaurant. This restaurant is attached to a Mexican grocery, but the restaurant is on its own. Judging by the steady flow of customers other people agree that the food is great. Decorated with Mexican streamers and glassware makes it seem that you have taken a trip to Mexico.
First, I have read the other reviews. Mexican food is not vegetarian, and either are Mexicans. Second, although I put more meat in my tamales than Carmen, that is not traditional. Either is tamale dip, although I love hot sauce with mine. (not served)

The FOOD

We started with one of their appetizers, Bontana ($10). I did not think we needed this, but my 4 teenagers convinced me they would drop from hunger if we did not get something. The waitress rushed over some chips and salsa (free) , warning us that it could be a little spicy. (it was) We ordered 3 Margaritas which were also good, slightly sweet. ($3.99) The appetizer is sort of a nacho grande. It was very good, I think. It only lasted about 30 seconds on the table so take that as a second for how good it was. Carmen ( the owner) came over and welcomed us, and brought some complimentary fresh guacamole and a bowl of pico de gallo. My wife commented on how tasty the meat was. (I read those other reviews???)

I ordered Especial Plate 1 , ($11) which included a tamale, an incredible cheese stuffed pepper, a chicken enchilada, rice and beans. I have to give a rave to the stuffed pepper and the beans. Excellent. I could not eat it all. The other five diners all ordered something different and everybody loved their meal. We took home 2 boxes to consume on the ride to Chicago tomorrow. Suddenly, my wife says “How about desert”? Everyone was stunned. She does not usually do that? The waitress had 2 desserts and Vera quickly picked the Flan Special.

While we were waiting, the question of why did she want that desert came up? It turns out she thought flan was creme de boulle . Sometimes you are just lucky. I’ll let the picture do the talking.

Total dinner price $100 for 6 people. Definitely worth passing all of those other Mexican restaurants to get here. Call Carmen and tell her you’re coming all the way to Iowa!

• Visited June 2011
Denver
“Best thing here- outstanding guacamole”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This is a family run place with little to no ambiance. However, if you go in knowing that, you'll find the food is tasty, the service excellent, and the guacamole to die for. I tried it first at the farmers market and loved it. We decided to go to the actual restaurant and it was just fine. The soda is not refillable which was a bummer but it was a fun time.