“I wish I could say better...”

Shorts Burger & Shine
Ranked #15 of 251 Restaurants in Iowa City
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Iowa City, Iowa
“I wish I could say better...”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Ok first I have to say I LOVE the downtown Shorts...great burgers, great beers, great atmosphere! Eastside, I can say the same EXCEPT the cook there can't serve a burger medium rare to save his life! 3 times I've asked for a medium rare burger and it came out well done! The last time I told them about the previous two times and they said they would make sure it was done correctly. No attempt to correct the matter...looks like it the downtown store for me...to bad I live really close to the eastside store. Get a chef who knows how to cook beef and I will be back.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jeff K

• Korean first
Cabot, Arkansas
“Best burger”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Great little place that would be right at home on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. One of the best burgers I have ever had. Bartender was great and so was the local beer. Highly recommend if in the area

Visited November 2013
1 Thank goofyernurse
Iowa
“best burger”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stopped at Shorts with a friend before a show at the Englert. We were seated right away, and the service was quick and friendly. I had the burger with bacon/mozzerella/mayo, and it was unbelievable; I think they're cooking them in unicorn butter or something. My pal had the chicken sandwich with avocado/salsa/sour cream and said it was A+. Both came with fries, which were the perfect amount of "done-ness" and tasted nice and potato-y.

I also had a glass of the "Three Toed Dog" - delicious. They have a wide selection of Iowa beers, but drinking here is expensive. The $9 for the sandwich and fries seems pretty fair since I left very full and the food was obviously good quality. I'll definitely come back next time I'm in Iowa City.

Visited November 2013
San Clemente, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Burgers!”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I kept hearing how 'great' Shorts was, so I decided to swing in and try their burgers. They have to be one of the best if not the best burger place in the area. I highly recommend going and trying one of their burgers. I had a BBQ burger and fries and both were excellent. I plan to take my wife back with me sometime when we both are craving a hamburger.

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Definitely Worth the Trip - We'll Be Back!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We are in Iowa City fairly often because my wife's parents life in a retirement community nearby. We live in the Chicago suburbs, so we usually spend the night in Iowa City / Coralville before heading home the next day. I had seen Shorts mentioned in an article on the Internet so I did some further research, because my wife and I love great burgers. We visited Shorts for Sunday at lunchtime, and we were really impressed! As an added bonus, on Sunday, they have the most awesome Bloody Marys with blue cheese in them for $5 all day on Sunday. You can get them with or without alcohol, and we had one of each to suit the tastes of me and my wife.

We sat at the bar, and studied the menu for a while before deciding on what to order for our introduction to Shorts burgers. We said this was our first time there, and the "Dundee burger" was highly recommended. I looked at the toppings, and decided it would be a great choice for a brunch burger because it was kind of like breakfast and lunch all in one. The Dundee starts off with a delicious angus grilled beef patty served on a locally made bakery bun topped with sauteed mushrooms, bacon, garlic aioli, a fried egg and american cheese. The burger is served with fresh cut french fries.

My wife ordered the Farley burger, which was topped with the garlic aioli, swiss cheese and sauteed mushrooms. You should also make a point to try some of the "Short Sauce". It's a homemade barbecue sauce that goes well on pretty much anything they serve.

It's not a huge place, so I imagine sometimes there is a wait. There is one low table behind the bar that seats about 7. The bar seats about 10. Plus, there are several high booths, and several high tables

We were very happy that we went to Shorts today. We will definitely be going back the next time we are in the area. We would highly recommend it.

• Visited November 2013