“Hidden charges & problems with checkout” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center

Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Madison, Wisconsin
“Hidden charges & problems with checkout”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

Check in went well. Young man was friendly. Room smelled clean & was clean but very worn & outdated. I was just staying for one night so that didn't matter that much. The price was right. Location was ok but I had to drive a ways to find a place to eat. My room was quiet. The shower had good pressure. Breakfast had the usual. The eggs & sausage were awful. Waffles were good. They did have hardboiled eggs. Had to ask for hot water for tea. Poor gal working there was helping with a convention plus hotel guests. She was trying het best. Checking out, the gal I believe her name was Joy never asked how my stay was. She just said sign her & did I want a copy if my receipt. Not a thank you not anything more. Minutes after I left I noticed a "safe" charge. I called back. It took 3 times for someone to pick up. I asked Joy, does everyone get that charge no matter what? She said yes unless they ask it be removed. She said she would make the adjustment. No apology. Because of the checkout experience I am not sure if I would return to this hotel

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Roland Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed for a hockey tournament over a weekend. Pretty nice pool area, plenty of room for groups to get together. Location is a bit far away from anything though. Right off of interstate, no restraunt close by. There was a mix up with my payment where I was overcharged quitge a bit, but the staff eventually got it straightened out by the middle of the next week.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank hoosierclone
Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

Hesitant to stay here based on other reviews, HOWEVER, was pleasantly suprised how GOOD it was. New carpet in hallways. No untoward odors. (our room was NOT poolside). Hot tub IS in working order despite hotel's website stating it wasn't. Breakfast had lots of choices even on the weekday mornings: 4 juice choices, fresh fruit, yogurt, 3 cereal choices, waffles, sausage, biscuits and gravy, eggs. Front desk staff VERY friendly. Only complaints are that it is a little hard to find off I-80 (small signage) and breakfast is only served until 9am (even on weekends). Coffee and teas are available 24 hrs a day though. We stayed 3 nights and were very satisfied with the accomodations.

Room Tip: If you need peace and quiet, stay away from the pool-side rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon K
Davenport, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stay at this hotel quite often for conferences. This time around, my experience was the best so far. I used to dread the smell of chlorine in the room, especially if it is facing the indoor pool. However, this time when I got into the room, the room smelled fresh and there was hardly a scent of the chlorine. The room and bathroom were clean. Front desk staff was very friendly and cheerful. They were also quick and accurate in answering my questions about my reservation. Food service staff were also nice and professional.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joe_Martin516
rwalker_detroit, Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Hello Joe:

The staff at the Clarion Highlander would like to thank you for the great comments regarding our staff and facilities. We have been making an extra effort with our housekeeping personnel and its nice to see that you are seeing the benefits of that.

See you at next year's conference and thank you for your feedback!

Antioch, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Big Michigan game stay, so not a lot of good choices, but too far away from downtown for the $200 price. The rooms were noisy, smokey, and not very clean. Breakfast was the highlight, but average at best. Not a bad place and plenty of room, but too far away and make sure you ask for NON smoking room.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Greetings:

Thank you for you review of our property. I have gone ahead and shared you comments with our Housekeeping team and we will ensure that these issues are dealt with asap. Thank you for your great comments on our free breakfast.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in Iowa City
IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

We were fortunate to find this room a few days before a big football weekend in Iowa City. This was the only room left. I was quoted $199 for a King Suite non smoking directly with hotel. We arrived ready to sleep around 10:30 to find our room was right off of the pool and there were many folks sitting and drinking and kids swimming. Our window faced the indoor pool and the noise was plentiful. In the morning we complained that no one told us about the location of our room which we felt was important info. They did clear the pool area when we called the front desk. Also in the AM my husband reiterated this and they did compensate him with a discount on the room.. Room was clean and would stay there again but not facing the pool!

Room Tip: Not facing the pool if you like to sleep!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank drommom
Greetings:

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad that our front desk staff accommodated you properly and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Aurora, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed her over November 4 & 5. We had read some of the reviews and were a little concerned. Our stay was fine. The room was fine. There were some cosmetic defects with the room but I probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for them. The hotel could probably use an update, but I wouldn't notice if I wasn't looking for it based on some of the reviews. We got in Friday and our room was right off of the pool. There was hardly anybody there and our kids had a ball playing in the pool. I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ChicagoParrotheads
Greetings:

This is Richard Walker with the Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center in Iowa City IA. On behalf of the management and staff of our hotel, i would like to thank you for the great comments that you noted in your review. We will go ahead and share your letter with our team. We hope you stay with us the next time you are in town

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!