“Ok for an overnight”

Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This was my first time staying here. I travel to Iowa City once a month and have not found one hotel I like to stay in. I got the hotel on Priceline so the rate was low. The rooms are average with old TV's and a bit worn. I heard they are updating and it looked like construction was going on in some of the conference room. Overall would not stay here by choice again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We booked two nights at the Clarion Highlander Hotel in Iowa City in order to attend our daughter's graduation from the University of Iowa. Expecting that hotel rooms would be at a premium over graduation weekend, my husband booked our room back in January. We anticipated that our family would visit our room, so we booked the one and only suite in the hotel, room 226.

We checked in and discovered that there was no elevator to the second floor, which presented a problem for us. The manager arranged for help with our bags, and I went ahead to open the room. Upon entering the room, I discovered that a couple had already checked in to the suite about 30 minutes earlier. The person at the hotel desk had given this couple keys to the wrong room. They were supposed to be in 228.

The management apologized and offered us a spa room--a king room with a spa tub atop a pyramid of stairs. This room was of no interest to us as we would rather have had a larger room than the altar-spa, and back to the front desk we went! We were then offered a king room. Coincidentally, the couple in the suite were also at the front desk, and they insisted that we take the suite. After some conversation, we agreed.

Back upstairs to 226. The room must have been 85 degrees. We cranked up the AC and went out to dinner with our family. Upon returning, we discovered that the room was still hot. We called the desk and asked if the AC could be serviced. Someone came to the room and turned the same dials and pushed the same buttons that we did, and left. We were so uncomfortable in that room. We finally fell asleep due to pure exhaustion.

The next day, we were gone for most of the day. I spoke to the manager and expressed the discomfort of the room and asked if something could be done. By the time we returned from the graduation ceremony, we discovered that the entire air conditioning unit had been replaced. The comfort of the room from the first night to the second was night and day.

When we checked out, we discovered that we had received a nice discount. The room rate (graduation weekend markup) was $189/night, and we were charged only $59 for the first night.

The hotel staff did what they could, all things considered; yet, it was the generosity of the other couple that really made the weekend work. Would I stay here again? No. There are many other hotels right in Iowa City or in nearby Coralville that appeared to be nicer. If you want a really great experience, I recommend the Brown Street Inn, a charming, affordable 5-star bed and breakfast in the city.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Dare2BGroovy
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

Check in went well. Young man was friendly. Room smelled clean & was clean but very worn & outdated. I was just staying for one night so that didn't matter that much. The price was right. Location was ok but I had to drive a ways to find a place to eat. My room was quiet. The shower had good pressure. Breakfast had the usual. The eggs & sausage were awful. Waffles were good. They did have hardboiled eggs. Had to ask for hot water for tea. Poor gal working there was helping with a convention plus hotel guests. She was trying het best. Checking out, the gal I believe her name was Joy never asked how my stay was. She just said sign her & did I want a copy if my receipt. Not a thank you not anything more. Minutes after I left I noticed a "safe" charge. I called back. It took 3 times for someone to pick up. I asked Joy, does everyone get that charge no matter what? She said yes unless they ask it be removed. She said she would make the adjustment. No apology. Because of the checkout experience I am not sure if I would return to this hotel

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed for a hockey tournament over a weekend. Pretty nice pool area, plenty of room for groups to get together. Location is a bit far away from anything though. Right off of interstate, no restraunt close by. There was a mix up with my payment where I was overcharged quitge a bit, but the staff eventually got it straightened out by the middle of the next week.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank hoosierclone
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Hesitant to stay here based on other reviews, HOWEVER, was pleasantly suprised how GOOD it was. New carpet in hallways. No untoward odors. (our room was NOT poolside). Hot tub IS in working order despite hotel's website stating it wasn't. Breakfast had lots of choices even on the weekday mornings: 4 juice choices, fresh fruit, yogurt, 3 cereal choices, waffles, sausage, biscuits and gravy, eggs. Front desk staff VERY friendly. Only complaints are that it is a little hard to find off I-80 (small signage) and breakfast is only served until 9am (even on weekends). Coffee and teas are available 24 hrs a day though. We stayed 3 nights and were very satisfied with the accomodations.

Room Tip: If you need peace and quiet, stay away from the pool-side rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon K
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stay at this hotel quite often for conferences. This time around, my experience was the best so far. I used to dread the smell of chlorine in the room, especially if it is facing the indoor pool. However, this time when I got into the room, the room smelled fresh and there was hardly a scent of the chlorine. The room and bathroom were clean. Front desk staff was very friendly and cheerful. They were also quick and accurate in answering my questions about my reservation. Food service staff were also nice and professional.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe_Martin516
rwalker_detroit, Manager at Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Hello Joe:

The staff at the Clarion Highlander would like to thank you for the great comments regarding our staff and facilities. We have been making an extra effort with our housekeeping personnel and its nice to see that you are seeing the benefits of that.

See you at next year's conference and thank you for your feedback!

Richard Walker
Manager

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Big Michigan game stay, so not a lot of good choices, but too far away from downtown for the $200 price. The rooms were noisy, smokey, and not very clean. Breakfast was the highlight, but average at best. Not a bad place and plenty of room, but too far away and make sure you ask for NON smoking room.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Greetings:

Thank you for you review of our property. I have gone ahead and shared you comments with our Housekeeping team and we will ensure that these issues are dealt with asap. Thank you for your great comments on our free breakfast.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in Iowa City

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#7 of 7 in Iowa City
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center

Been to Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!