“Decent stay at the Quality Inn Iowa City”

Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Early arrival (around 12noon) but room was ready and no hassle in checking in. The room was clean. It was facing the swimming pool area, so the smell of chlorine was pretty strong, but it wasn't a big problem. The room was spacious, and I appreciated the recliner. Wi-fi Internet was easy to access and quick. Staff was friendly. I wish they would upgrade their TV to a newer-model flat screen LCD or LED. Other than that, it was a good room to stay in.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 17 November 2010

Room was dated and stunk. The hallway actually made me gag it smelled so bad I couldn't stand it. There was a dog barking in the room next to us keeping our 9 month old awake, not to mention the owner spilled dog food everywhere (outside and in the hall) and didn't clean it up. Went to eat but the in hotel resturant didn't it didn't exist. Bed was awful, only got 2 hours of sleep that night and even though it was like 45 out, the room wouldn't cool off. Shower was very dirty and gross, although the shower head was nice. Just a very outdated hotel and for the money it was a total waste. The fresh baked cookies at the front desk were the only good thing besides the shower head. Pillows were like "mini" pillows! what the heck were they?? Would Never stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 22 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your stay. I appreciate all comments. I apologize to you that we failed to meet your expections. Please accept my apology on behalf of myself and staff. I would like to personally thank you, and apologize if you would like to contact me. My phone is 319.354.2000. I am using your comments to share with my staff this week at our meeting. I would like to invite you back so you can see your comments made a difference.
Respectfully,
Joe Jordison

Reviewed 17 September 2010

I won't fault the housekeeping staff because the linens and towels were spotless and tidy, however this hotel is older and showing its age. It must have been beautiful at one time, but is showing it's age and lack of maintenance. Staff was friendly and breakfast was good. All in all I have to say that probably this place is way understaffed for cleaning . The halls, carpet in the room and pool area were very, very dirty and our hall reeked horribly of smoke. I PROBABLY ?? would stay here again, but I hope they are able to afford more housekeeping staff for the public areas .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MichiganNplover
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We were traveling with a dog, so places are a bit limited. The hot tub only had 1 jet running in it and another guest who stays here more regularly said it's been like tht for a year! The restaurant was awful, the bathtub was really icky and there was mold on the ceiling.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We had a high school reunion here and it has been flawless.

We started with a buffet which was good and plentiful. The breakfast choices more than ever. Fruit,cereal, breads, a burrito, eggs, good coffee, even bisquits and gravy - (but not our thing.)

It's a bit out of the way to find but just off of the interstate 80 two blocks or so. The rates are reasonable to the point of, "better hurry before they are out of business" they are so cheap for what you get.

They have a great appearing pool - but we didn't use it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We should have known better when the first thing that occured before we checked in, there was someone complaining about broken glass on the floor in the pool area where there were alot of kids swimming, and it was taking a long time for them to address the issue. We should of left then. The rooms had cobwebs in them. I put my purse in the safe in the room, and then was unable to open the safe. Notified front desk, she said she would let "them" know. We requested twice that we be notified when the person would be opening the safe, let her know to find us in the bar or restaurant, she said "sure!" I do not feel comfortable having a complete stranger in my hotel room opening the safe with my money ,cc cards, etc. They ended up opening it without letting us know and it took them 2 hours. Then there was the restaurant... Slow service, many other costumers upset with service, my meal was cold when I got it, so they put it in the microwave, my friend's boyfriend got a steak that was literally 90% fat. The beds are hard I had terrible backache and the coffee maker did not work. This was Valentine's Day and also my 5th anniversary and we were very dissapointed. If you want good service or food don't stay here!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We were traveling cross country and stayed here on the spur of the moment one night on 8/11/08. It was a large older building that at one time was probably a top end conference center. However, it's a little over the hill now.

We checked in, went straight to our room, watched the olympics, and turned in. The next morning we were awakened by barking dogs in rooms somewhere near us.

We got up and checked out as soon as possible. As we were checking out we noticed that there were numerous dog treats for sale in a basket at the end of the counter. Guess I didn't notice the basket when we checked in. Apparently this hotel caters to people with dogs.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with a dog, but would discourage anyone else from staying here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#6 of 7 in Iowa City

Been to Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!