“Great variety of unusual dishes”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of One Twenty Six

One Twenty Six
Reserve with OpenTable
One Twenty Six is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #154 of 249 Restaurants in Iowa City
Price range: US$14 - US$24
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sarasota
“Great variety of unusual dishes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The menu includes a lot of items you would not fix yourself that are well prepared. The service was very good.

Visited November 2013

Iowa City, Iowa
“Care a little, please”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I used to love to go to One Twenty Six years ago for half priced wine night on Mondays.
The Mr. and I went on a whim on a weeknight this summer. It was incredibly slow, and our food was rushed out the window. I like efficiency, but I don't like feeling like there's no sense of coursing.
All of our food was very average, but our dessert was incredibly disappointing. My favorite dessert is creme brulee, and I've never had a more disgusting one. It was a tiny portion and tasted like someone took a torch to it for an hour. It looked and tasted like burnt sugar.
Our server did not care to ever refill our drinks, check back on us after receiving any courses, or notice the large amount of food that was not finished/boxed.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank mrsblakeshelton246
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very Good Food and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I was there couple of times 3-4 years back, and was not impressed with their food. However, my recent visit changed my views. They now have not only good selection of entrees, the food (my selection - rack of lamb) was very good, and the service was really impressive. I highly recommend their appetizer mussels too. Definitely, a place to go again and again.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MDP_Love_Traveling
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Great service, Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Four of us ate here and two enjoyed the lamb chops plus lamb Wellington, one the pork Vindaloo and one the salmon each served with its own side. The bread was fresh, warm and as rich as brioche dough. The service was attentive. All in all, a great experience.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank mjrg59
Columbia, Missouri
“Great food, savvy servers, but serve us what we order!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

When I was an undergrad at the University of Iowa (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), one of my guilty pleasures before Italian class was to head over to the Great Midwestern Ice Cream Company on Washington Street, grab a pastry and some Red Zinger tea, and sit in the window and study. It was nice place, in an old Iowa City storefront, with brick walls and polished old wood floors.
Fast forward to today. Great Midwestern is unfortunately gone, but in its place is One Twenty Six, a quasi-upscale restaurant . Ice cream has now been replaced with wine and fancy entrees. My wife and I went there for an after-Valentine’s Day meal.
The atmosphere is quite neighborhood restaurant, and it works well. The bar is right next to the open kitchen, and it’s cozy without being cramped. We were seated at a booth against the brick wall, and water was brought over quickly. The menu at 126 (it’s easier than writing it out) changes on a regular basis, so the small menu is printed on an 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper. Nothing fancy – actually, mine was destroyed by our waiter since it had sauce on it! But what was on it was quite good – enough appetizers, salads and entrees to satisfy most everyone. The wine menu is printed on paper and placed in a report cover – a school report on vinticulture? – but what’s on it would catch the attention of even the most jaded oenophile. We had decided to bring a bottle of a favorite North Carolina vineyard with us, so we didn’t partake of their ample stock. Know that their corking fee is $25 and you’re only able to bring in two bottles. Also realize that none of their menu – either food or wine – is on their website, so there’s no real way to prepare.
But no matter. We’re here to try out the food, right? Our waiter, J.T., was quite knowledgeable about the menu, and was able to talk about the differences between the beef tenderloin (a nice cut) and the hanger steak (less expensive cut, but marinated and more flavorful). We chose the mushroom and gruyere tart to start, split the mixed greens, and the lamb two ways (her) and the hangar steak (me). J.T. opened our wine, asked about the winemaker, and brought us some nice crusty bread.
The tart was brought on a single plate – a hard thing to split. This is where J.T. began to shine as a server: he described what was on the plate in detail. You rarely find a server that well trained. And what was on the plate was excellent – the mushrooms were well prepared, the tart was flaky yet not dry, and the other ingredients went well together. So far, so good…the mixed greens were split, and were extremely fresh, with a slight amount of dressing. Perfect.
When the entrée came out, again J.T. shone in his description of the dishes. And what we got was extremely good. The beef was well cooked, although their idea of ‘medium’ would not work with those who are squeamish. A bit on the rare side, but still very tasty. The Yukon Gold mashed potatoes as a bed for the meat worked very well, and I actually liked the bitterness of the Brussel sprouts with everything else on the plate and our wine. As for the lamb, the rack was well prepared and the ratatouille was quite tasty. But the big winner was the lamb wellington – tender chunks of lamb in a puff pastry. Very good!
For dessert, we decided on the apple tart, which came with a brown butter ice cream. An interesting tart – a bit more baking soda than you would expect and an oddly delicious ice cream.
Overall, we were very pleased with our meal – until we looked at the detailed bill after we got home. I discussed the choice of entrees with J.T., and decided on the more flavorful, yet less expensive steak. I was served the tenderloin, and paid for it. The food was fine, but that was a mistake, plain and simple.
We’ll definitely go back – but we’ll make sure we get what we order.

• Visited February 2013