hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Columbia, Missouri
“03/2014”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had two rooms we booked in March. The receptionists were all very accommodating and helpful. Our rooms were clean suited our needs perfectly. One star taken off for uncovered balconies, light fixture not working and hole in wall in room. Other than that we were very pleased with our stay. Also connected to a very nice square with playground equipment for children, restaurants, bars, and salons, etc.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaM646

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Antonio
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have stayed here on 3 different occasions. I love the modern rooms, the kitchenettes, and the bath-tubs are probably my all time favorite non-jetted hotels bath-tubs. We under-booked our stay by a day (3 nights instead of 4), and when I checked in they were sold out for the last night I needed. They checked every day and put me into the first cancellation. Every room request (towels, cutlery, wine opener) was brought up quickly. The location is perfect for walking with restaurants and the University a easy walk. I won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hippocampi
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We booked the romance package for our wedding night. We arrived at approximately 10:30 pm and checked in, nobody helped us with our bags and then I was informed I could park in the ramp next door. I guess that's what they mean by valet parking. We proceeded to our room and everything was fine until the morning. The package includes a 2 pm check out. We were awaken by housekeeping sometime before 11 am, fortunately we had closed the security lock and they were not able to enter. This happened again sometime after 11 am. Around noon my wife took a shower and I went to my car to retrieve some items. Since she was in the shower and I left the room, no one was able to close the security lock on the door. While I was out of the room, housekeeping once again entered the room. My wife had just got out of the shower and was completely naked. The housekeeper apologized and immediately left. When I arrived we immediately closed the security lock, and housekeeping tried to enter the room again sometime before 1 pm. So we were disturbed a total of four times, all while the do not disturb sign was outside on the door. When we checked out I was informed that I owed $11 for one nights parking. I protested, then she realized we had the romance package and said, very curtly, oh that's right, you have valet parking, just get your ticket and I can put a sticker on it. I then proceeded to carry all our bags to the ramp and retrieve the car myself, and brought my ticket in to get the sticker. Then we finally left so we could try to salvage what was left of our day and try to make the most of our first day as a married couple. I have had better service and treatment at a $40 a night motel. I received an email asking us how our stay was and I replied to the general manager detailing our experience. I have yet to hear back from her.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jacob E
Austin
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I thought the room was really nicely appointed, though it could use more electrical outlets and USB ports. I also thought the placement of the TV was weird, but wasn't a big deal. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel Vetro is hyped as a modern somewhat luxurious hotel in downtown Iowa City. I was really looking forward to staying here having lived in Iowa City for nine years previously and watched the hotel being built and heard all the hype. The overall feel is barebones minimum industrial-ish. When we first got to our room I had to use the restroom and was rather impressed to see they had a shower separate from a huge bathtub. Loving a nice bubble bath I was pretty pleased. I went to wash my hands and found no hand soap. Hmm. Figuring it was a housekeeping mistake I went to grab the shower gel in the shower to use instead while making a mental note to stop at the desk for a bar of soap on our way out. Using the shower gel was a no-go given that the shower gel, shampoo and conditioner are nailed into the wall in a caddy. You can not move them out of the shower. So in order to take my bubble bath later I had to pump shower gel into a cup and dump in into the bath tub. Having never stayed somewhere that doesn't allow you to take the toiletries home (And I have stayed at some high end places) I thought this was rather odd. You would have to pump shampoo and conditioner into a cup as well in order to wash your hair in the tub. Upon inspection of the furniture, there were rather obvious puke stains. My boyfriend mentioned this to the front desk and they happily moved us to a new room. Upon entering the bathroom in the new room I again noticed no hand soap. Weird. Being this was the second room with no hand soap I think this must be an item upon request, which shouldn't be AT ALL! Also, we stayed in a suite with a kitchenette. The kitchenette was empty. You had to call and ask for utensils, plates and frying pans. Never have I stayed in a suite without a stocked kitchenette. Also, there is no parking except in the parking garage next door which you have to pay for. If you are not going to provide parking for your guests, at least make them exempt from the parking garage fees. Other than the above odd things, the overall stay was just fine. Just wish for the price the stay was more comfortable and accommodating. Will be looking elsewhere to stay next time.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kcrox04
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here for four nights in April while traveling for work. The hotel is very modern and my room included a kitchenette (with full sized refrigerator and stove) as well as a spacious seating area, high ceilings, and floor to ceiling windows along one wall. Unfortunately, the view was of a parking lot, but I was not at the hotel for the scenery. Though the location is very good, so far as Iowa City goes-- the hotel is right in the middle of the restaurant/shop area that is frequented by university students. A very nice upscale grocery store is in an adjoining building so getting food to cook is not difficult if you prefer not to eat out.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Cresco, Iowa
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, beds were good as well as nice large bathroom with shower and tub. Only thing I would like to see is maybe valet parking. As a female having to park in a parking garage down the street and tote my luggage back to hotel was a little bit of an inconvenience.

• Stayed February 2014
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville

Been to hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center? Share your experiences!