“Loved the view - Well worth the price”

hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Was I in Europe or Iowa City? I loved my room and this hotel. It is very modern, floor to ceiling windows, with a wonderful chaise lounge, large bathtub, and very large room.
There is a kitchen with a full size refrigerator, stove top and microwave, kitchen counter with two chairs.
The price is very reasonable. We wanted a picnic and they supplied us with restaurant quality utensils, plates of all sizes, glassware, corkscrew and cloth napkins.
The hotel is in the thick of Iowa City with all restaurants, bookstores and activities a stone throw away. We overlooked the public library, open seven days a week, and thrilling to visit. The city is highly involved or evolved with literature and university life.

Room Tip: Room 611 has a good view. The air conditiioning was very noisy but that is my only criticism.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great modern hotel in downtown Iowa City. My wife and I spent a weekend night to see a show at the Englert Theater. The room was great. It had a balcony, kitchen, modern bathroom with a tub, and comfortable king sized bed. I'd recommend getting the city view rooms, since our rooms faced the parking garage and HVAC units. In addition, the sound proofing was not great either. We were easily able to hear the drunk students outside on the balcony and roaming the halls late at night. The hotel does enforce quiet time after 11:00 pm, however this is a college town so do expect some noise on the weekend. We called to complain about loud noise at 2 AM and this was addressed swiftly, so that was a plus. Overall, great experience!

Room Tip: Rooms with "city views" have, you guessed it, better views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Overall my stay at hotel vetro was a pleasant one. its convientantly located in the heart of downtown iowa city. I thouroughly enjoyed the sushi restaurant located in the lobby called Formosa. I was pleasantly surprised to find a vibrant downtown located less than a half a block. plenty of restaraunts and choice watering holes perfect for entertaining clients.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked the romance package. The extra expense didn't even cover the champagne, cheese & fruit I'm sure. We LOVE staying at this hotel. It makes the oncologist visits a little more bearable! The beds are very comfortable!

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer amazing views!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was traveling with my wife and our toddler to meet with family and friends. The service at the front desk was very nice and accommodating; however, be warned that loading/unloading of luggage can be rough as the "loading zone" is very small and appeared to often times be occupied. We simply parked ourselves and used the walk way to the garage. The room and balcony were very large and clean, the kitchenette was nice to have and was clean. The modern decorating was nice but be warned if you have kids. With concrete floors and very few "soft" corners or landing spots we had to pay extra attention to my daughter all weekend. Also, although the interior sound proofing was good (especially considering the lack of carpeting) the exterior noise was very loud. This is to be expected somewhat given the hotel's location near a major university and the night life, but there was little to no stopping of noise - and we were not facing the Ped Mall. Not a bad hotel at all and if there was a 3.5 star option I would choose that.

Room Tip: Exterior noise seemed to be a problem on both sides of the hotel, but especially bad on the Ped Mall...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel R
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had two rooms we booked in March. The receptionists were all very accommodating and helpful. Our rooms were clean suited our needs perfectly. One star taken off for uncovered balconies, light fixture not working and hole in wall in room. Other than that we were very pleased with our stay. Also connected to a very nice square with playground equipment for children, restaurants, bars, and salons, etc.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnaM646
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have stayed here on 3 different occasions. I love the modern rooms, the kitchenettes, and the bath-tubs are probably my all time favorite non-jetted hotels bath-tubs. We under-booked our stay by a day (3 nights instead of 4), and when I checked in they were sold out for the last night I needed. They checked every day and put me into the first cancellation. Every room request (towels, cutlery, wine opener) was brought up quickly. The location is perfect for walking with restaurants and the University a easy walk. I won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
#6 of 7 in Iowa City
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing

Been to hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center? Share your experiences!