“Convenient Location for University of Iowa, but Small Room” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Iowa House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Convenient Location for University of Iowa, but Small Room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Four of us stayed in a hotel room, which is located inside of Iowa Memorial Union (IMU) on the campus of the University of Iowa. The location was excellent for a college visit. However, the room which was up to date, was very crowded. It was hardly large enough for two, and it wasn't the cheapest room. We stayed in the Deluxe, I believe it was called. The outside of IMU is under construction, so it was a bit of a journey through IMU to get to the front desk of the hotel. The shower was broken, but usable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Boyd B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I was nervous due to some bad reviews, and the price was excellent and in same building as orientation. So why not just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Front desk staff is very friendly, wifi,tv,micro,frige were all excellent, and bed was comfy!! Room was already set at a good temp air was working. Room did have a little "dust" smell to it and construction didn't start til 7:30am but the noise was faint enough bot to be bothersome. I did feel safe, i would suggest making sure you gave enough toilet paper before front desk closes.Remember everyone has different expectations and experiences. Have fun

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sometown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I checked in to the Iowa House Hotel on May 12th for a 4 night stay. We had arrived early for a Labor conference. The front desk was great, allowing us to check in 3 hours early. So far, so good.

Sadly, that is where the good ended. Walking into my room - (Keep in mind it was 86 degrees outside) the room felt like a sauna. I assumed it was due to the room not being used for awhile - turned the air conditioner on, and went on my way. When i came back 4 hours later during lunch - the room was a humid 93 degrees. The air conditioning did not work - at all. In Discussing with other attendees of the conference - it was not only my room with this issue; it was the entire hotel. We called the desk who advised us that the building was still turned to "heat" and the air conditioning could not yet be switched on due to the weather. What hotel does not allow their guests to dictate the temperature of their own room???? Some of the members of our labor conference had to go out and buy box fans just to make the rooms semi-bearable. My room faced the river, and on subsequent nites did have a breeze that kept the room at a tolerable temperature - however, there was construction going on right outside my room that would begin around 5:30am.

So after sweating, and tossing and turning for hours; on a bed that felt like they stacked up some towels on a pile of brick; the construction crew woke me up bright and early. Two hours prior to my needing to be awake. Oh - and apparently on the second floor you're also a second class citizen. I mention the beds, that i wouldnt let my dog sleep on...on the third floor - the beds are pillow top beds. I'm sure more than slightly more comfortable.

Trash wasn't taken out daily, shower was not cleaned daily. I shaved on tuesday and there were still remnants in the sink on thursday.

In closing, if my Union had not fronted the bill for the room - I would have checked out on Monday afternoon and found a hotel who knows how to treat its guests. If I were to visit this hotel to consider sending my child to the University of Iowa...well, lets just say if the hotel is indicative of the school - My kid wont be a Hawkeye.

No stars if it were an option. I cant think of any positives from the stay, short of the early check-in. Only way I'll stay again is if I'm attending another conference and I'm put up there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Unhappy Camper T

Travellers are raving about these Iowa City hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The location is very good if you are in town to visit the U of Iowa. The hotel is right in the Student Union and within walking distance to restaurants and stores. But the place is in dire need of refurbishing. The whole place is shabby and run down. The beds were fine with nice linens but the bathroom wasn't particularly clean. The room was also too hot and the temperature couldn't be adjusted. When I tried to open the window, the window wouldn't stay open and kept sliding shut. Wi-Fi worked well. People working the reception desk were less than welcoming. When I checked out, the woman asked me what room I had stayed in and then walked back to her desk. That was it. Not only no 'how was your stay' or 'thanks for staying with us' but not even a 'have a nice trip back'. However, for me, the worst issue was the lack of hot water. I had plenty of hot water at 7 am on a Friday, but at 8 am on a Saturday, nary a drop. My only requirements of a hotel are cleanliness, quiet and a hot shower. The hotel is quiet but that was it. Low end chain motels probably do better.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Corny S
Albert Lea, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

great place tp stay while staying in town for a business seminar-everything you need all under one roof-clean & neat-very comfortable-will probally be back for more training sessions,can't wait-short walk to great dinning & drinking establishments!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I do not have high expectations for hotels: give me a clean, comfortable, quiet place where I can sleep well and I am happy. I checked in at the Iowa House for a two night stay arranged by the party I was visiting. They also arranged a late check-out on the last day. Reception gave me an expired wifi password: 15min wasted trying to type it right. An understandable oversight. The room was at 82 F and the thermostat could not turn it down. A slight problem. I stepped into the bathroom and was surprised to find feces on the side of the toilet bowl. Definitely a problem. I called reception. They moved me to another room. Temperature 67 F, the thermostat did not seem to work. Close enough to my comfort and better cool than hot. Slept OK. Last day, the final touch of Iowa House. Reception called me at noon: "Why are you still in the room?" "Because, a late check out was arranged"...."...oh, oops". Just in case, I post a do-not-disturb sign outside the door. 1pm while I am taking a shower the maids assault the room by frantically knocking at the door. I have to chase them away. I did leave about an hour later. Overall evaluation: the manager should be fired as soon as possible. Obviously, the staff is poorly trained, managed and motivated. Under proper management, I.H. has a good potential as a centrally located hotel in a relatively quiet, river-front location. One more thing: the coffee maker in the room is fancy, but the coffee is bad.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Louis N
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Iowa House Hotel is located inside the Iowa Memorial Union (IMU) on The University of Iowa campus. I was visiting the university for a graduate school tour and was very pleased with what I was offered. If you are unfamiliar with Iowa City, parking is terribly difficult to find. The Iowa House Hotel gave me a free permit to park in the parking ramp right across the street from the IMU. The room was very ordinary from any other hotel I've been too. The guest Internet was a bit difficult to work with, but after a bit I got it up and running. Downtown Iowa City is right up the hill from the hotel's location where there are plenty of things to do no matter how old you are. Campus was very quiet, but this was probably because it was the Thursday night of final exam week when many kids have already left town for the holidays. If you have business on the University of Iowa campus I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 6 in Iowa City
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Heartland Inn - Coralville
Heartland Inn - Coralville
#12 of 18 in Coralville

Been to Iowa House Hotel? Share your experiences!