“A Great Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Iowa City
“A Great Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2008

We had a get away at the Brown Street - what a terrific find! Would suggest it to anyone looking for a great place!

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Brown Street Inn over December 14-16. We've never gone the B&B route before, but now that we have, I'm sure we won't go back!

Upon arrival, we met the innkeeper Mark. He had warm cookies and a smile waiting for us. The house was beautifully decorated for the holidays, with a Christmas tree in the foyer, Christmas carols being softly piped in, and a fire roaring in the living room. It was warm and inviting and all I wanted to do was sit by the fire all night!

We stayed in the green room, which features a king sized bed and private bathroom. The bedding was very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows and blankets. There was a walk-in closet and mini-fridge waiting for us, and a nice stand outside with coffee, tea, and accessories for a bottle of wine.

The breakfast was very, very tasty (and healthy!) and we enjoyed the pastries that were offered as well. It was a snowy weekend, but all the walks were constantly shoveled so we never worried about sliding around.

This was my first experience at a B&B, and I have no doubt I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimmerz321
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2007

My only complaint about my stay at the Brown Street Inn was that I was only there for one short night. My room was very lovely. The bedding was pretty and warm. The free wireless access was great. The bathroom had plenty of light, a magnifying mirror for make-up and nice towels. There were cookies waiting for the guests upon arrival. Coffee and tea "fixings" were easily accessible outside the guest rooms. The public areas were excellently decorated and I just wish I had time to sit by the fire and enjoy them!
Breakfast next morning was healthy and substantial although there wasn't a warm entree included (which was fine with me.) All this for an $80 rate.

• Liked — The lovely atmosphere and the innkeeper
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank TariR
Nagoya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2007

The title of this review says it all. The innkeepers were kind and hospitable, went out of their way to make my wife and I comfortable, and kept us well informed about local information. Their professionalism and dedication to service was outstanding. I have been visiting the US on business each year for the past eight years - this place provided by far the best overall experience.

• Liked — Service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2007

I love this bed and breakfast. My husband and I love to stay in B&B's when we get the chance. We recently visited the Brown Street Inn because we were in Iowa City for a marriage re-treat. We will definitely return to the Brown Street Inn, hopefully during football season! The place is spotless and very inviting. Our favorite part about the house was the front porch; we sat there for hours drinking wine and just relaxing. The inn is located in a quiet neighborhood and it also has a parking lot. A lot of B&B's that we've stayed at only have off street parking. The landscaping is done very nicely. We conversed with one of the owners through breakfast and had a great time. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful! Our room was cozy and had everything we needed. It even had a mini fridge, which was nice for our left over's from dinner and of course for our wine. The house is neatly decorated. The owner was very helpful when we asked about dining options; he recommended a place and gave us directions. I would recommend this place to anyone, we loved it!

• Liked — hospitality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2007

This was our second year at the Brown Street Inn during the Iowa City Writer's Festival. Mark and Bob have thought of everything - plenty of plugs for computers, phone chargers, etc, bottled water, wine glasses, and water carafes at hand right outside your bedroom door, WI-FI, daily papers, a computer to print assignments on. These may sound like silly little things, but there are a lot of them.

They are wonderful hosts, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about iowa City.

Equally important, they care about the environment. They recycle, give you the option of reusing towels, buy locally whenever they can...

Going back this year was like meeting up with old friends. We'll stay there again for sure.

• Liked — The home-like feeling
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Whidbey Island WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2007

From the moment we drove up, we knew our stay was going to be nice, starting with plenty of off-the-street parking. The sound of trickling water as we approached the entrance door was "refreshing" to hear and the landscaping well tended. We were warmly greeted at the door and immediately felt comfortable. The decorating was inviting, very homey... that "come in and enjoy a cup of tea and a freshly baked cookie" feeling. Speaking of cookies...they were just out of the oven and being plated as we arrived. Yum! Our room was very nicely decorated and met all of our needs and more. The innkeepers have thought of everything to make staying with them a pleasant experience. While my husband was busy on his computer in our room, I found time daily to kick off my shoes and read a book in the downstairs wing-backed chair and ottoman, while listening to wonderfully soothing background music and drinking a cup of hot tea. With family in Iowa City, we definitely know where we will be staying again. Whether for 1 night or a week, you will thoroughly enjoy your stay...WE SURE DID!
- The Olson's of Whidbey Island WA

Stayed July 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!