“Highly recommended Iowa City Inn”
Review of Brown Street Inn

Brown Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Until now I have stayed in B&B's only with my wife, but the reasonable pricing and high TripAdvisor ratings lead me to consider Brown Street Inn while alone on business in Iowa City. Now I am adding even further to the high ratings. The Inn is a tastefully decorated early 20th century home well located for downtown, the university, and for points north, including Cedar Rapids and the airport. Mark, gracious and alert, is an ideal host. My bed room and private bath were amply-sized, quiet and very comfortable. The room had personality ... and was thoughtfully provisioned. There were surfaces for putting bags, a pleasant couch and cable TV and robes in the closet. The bathroom was homey and elegant. At first I didn't realize how special it was to avoid the chemical-laced air that is the norm in motel rooms. My room was odor free - it was like being at home. I wish all my future nights on the road could be as relaxing and healthy. Which brings me to the continental breakfast: you won't be disappointed. Brown Street Inn gets my highest rating.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Art P
There are newer reviews for Brown Street Inn

Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Brown Street Inn was a truly wonderful experience. It was super clean, extremely friendly, and was like being at home...only, in a home much nicer than you would normally find yourself in. The inn keepers are really nice people, and they allow you your privacy, while also really exceeding your expectations for customer service. They are down to earth folk who want you to enjoy your stay, and know that classic elegance, a homemade chocolate chip cookie, and a cup of really great coffee make the whole stay worth it. It's beautiful and grand, but not pretentious or odd. It's everything we wanted, and nothing we didn't--although, my husband did admire the ironed bed linens so much that I had to put the kibosh on any expectation that I would be ironing sheets at home. He's settled for staying at the Brown Street Inn more often--compromise is what makes a marriage work !

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room--all are pretty quiet, and all have bathrooms, and there is a coffee make...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank S M
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The Brown Street Inn has plenty of rave reviews here, but I want to echo other travelers in highly recommending this lovely place. I usually stay with friends on my rare visits to Iowa City, but needed a quieter space on a recent trip - Brown Street was perfect! The decor is lovely and thoughtful throughout, with interesting touches of local history. Rooms are immaculate and good-sized. The location is perfect, in a quiet historic neighborhood within walking distance of the main university area and downtown. The cooked-to-order breakfast is a stand-out, especially when served in the beautiful dining area! The hosts are warm, knowledgeable and excellent conversationalists without being intrusive. An ideal B&B!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I had been looking for a place to stay and have our wedding when I came across the Brown Street Inn. And let me say, WOW, it is a very beautiful B7B that is very warm and welcoming!! Mark, the owner is just amazing and helped us with everything and anything that we needed. His breakfast is wonderful and the cookies he makes and leves out..well..mmmmmmm!!! I could just go on and on about this plave and i still couldn't say enough for this place. Like you I read reviews and I am so glad it influenced me to go here. If your going to Iowa City, it is a must stay place and amazing for a wedding!!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are beautiful so you will be happy with any choice you make
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The B & B I used to go to closed. Brown Street Inn was truly a great replacement and I would stay there every time I was in Iowa City. Great location, I felt so at home there, and Mark was so great and loving. Wonderful breakfast, small refrigerator in room, cookies at night, stocked water, soda, tea and coffee! I was so am still am sad about the retirement of my old B & B but this one is excellent and truly made me feel at home. I spent time downstairs in the living room, etc. when I got home from work and I just felt so comfortable walking around, being near the fireplace and looking at Mark and Bob's wonderful home. It is truly a great experience! In three months I will return there for work. Natalie

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This is one of the best Beds & Breakfasts my wife and I have stayed in and we have stayed in many. The house is charming and beautifully decorated. The hosts are charming and very accommodating. We stayed in the Red Room; it was large, very comfortable. The breakfasts were first rate. The neighborhood is charming (right next to the house where Kurt Vonnegut once lived.) Iowa City is a pleasant Midwestern town. There is no reason not to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank amishlaw
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I highly recommend this charming B&B in a historic neighborhood in Iowa City. I stayed at the Brown Street Inn while visiting my daughter who lived down the street. She knew I would love it by the front porch and she was right. Very cozy, homey - the fireplace burning in the library with plenty of easy chairs to relax in. The rooms were period decorated, beds comfortable, pillows great. Water & tea on a chest in the hallway. Breakfast was a treat of homemade bakery goods from nearby with fresh butter & local jams.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#6 of 7 in Iowa City
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!