“Wonderful Place to Stay in Iowa City”
Review of Brown Street Inn

Brown Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“Wonderful Place to Stay in Iowa City”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I stayed in the Brown Street Inn for 3 weeks in February whilst visiting the university and it was simply fantastic. I have stayed in many bed and breakfasts in my native Scotland and nothing comes close to my Iowan experience. This is a really beautiful house and so very well run. Mark and Bob are really nice people who show a real interest in their guests and could not be more welcoming. Breakfast was healthy and tasty and particularly good at the weekend. I also looked forward to my homemade cookie every night after a hard days work in the university. Staying in this wonderful part of Iowa City also opened my eyes to what a beautiful place it really is and affirmed my plans to relocate there in the near future. Well done Brown Street Inn, one in a million!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank hornpipeagusjig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Our group enjoyed every minute of our stay at this wonderful B & B. Mark and Bob are wonderful hosts; engaging without being intrusive. The breakfasts were the best I've ever had! They graciously gave us lots of information and suggestions. We plan to return next year for another visit. Priscilla K.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Atlantic, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I find most B&B's priced for the provided 'atmosphere,' which usually means that there are so many knick-knacks around that one can barely move. What a refreshing change the Brown St. Inn was -- yes, plenty of objects on which to feast the eye, but beautifully mixed and presented in this 101-year-old Dutch colonial residence. The hosts, Mark & Bob, were personable and knowledgeable and made our group of 7 feel specially welcome. And the breakfasts -- uhm, uhm!
The rooms were also extremely clean and spacious. I could have stayed a week!

Room Tip: The suite at the top of the building is particularly nice for a larger group.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
West Chester, Ohio
Reviewed 18 February 2013

There are many things that help to make Brown Street Inn a wonderful experience, but the most important factors are Mark & Bob! They just make you feel at home in their home. They are so very welcoming and do everything to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Their home is spotlessly clean, well appointed, and cozy without all that overdone lace.
We stayed in the Red Room, which was roomy and the bed was very comfortable. There was even a desk for us to work on, which was great, as we were traveling for business. There are soft-drinks in the little frig in the closet, and wine glasses, coffee mugs, tea, etc. a short distance down the hallway, for your convenience. Cookies too, are available--yumm.
Oh, and let us not skip the lovely breakfast that we enjoyed on Sunday morning, complete with blueberry stuffed French Toast, a nice array of cut fresh fruit, and ham. You could also choose from an assortment of breads, jams, yogurts, cereals, and beverages. The table was nicely set and all ready for us, when we joined another couple that came in for the weekend.
I highly recommend staying at Brown Street Inn! I know that we will be back, even if I have to make a bit of a detour to stay there again.

Room Tip: Actually, I think that all of the rooms have their own charm and you really cannot go wrong with any...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TemPac
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 6 February 2013

My daughter and I traveled to Iowa City to take a look at the University of Iowa. Though she probably won't end up going to school there, I would return to Iowa City just to stay at the Brown Street Inn again. The Inn is beautifully decorated, warm and cozy - complete with chocolate chip cookies. We stayed in the White Room - it was clean and comfortable with plenty of room for us (along with tea and water available right outside our door). The breakfast on Saturday morning was delicious - egg souffle, fresh fruit, muffins and ham. In addition, Mark was very helpful giving us directions and advice about the area. If you're looking for a place to stay in Iowa City, this is it!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Lighthouse Point, Florida
Reviewed 29 January 2013

The most comfortable B &B experience my husband and I have had. Mark & Bob make every aspect of one's stay wonderful from the plush towels, cookies in the PM to the other delightful guests they accept. It feels like you are invited guests to their home instead of at a B & B. The bedrooms are comfortable and relaxing. The public rooms are elegant yet inviting. Breakfast begins with the drink of your choice and a wide variety of choices. Little details are not overlooked and both Mark and Bob are charming hosts. We cannot imagine staying anywhere else when we are in Iowa City.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Waco, Texas, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I cannot say enough great things about our 6 night stay at the Brown Street Inn. THis was our first B&B experience and definitely will not be the last. THe relaxing atmosphere helped us to unwind from the hectic holiday rush. Comfy beds,amazing breakfasts and the homey feeling was so appreciated. Mark and Bob are the best. They made us feel so welcome and were so helpful. The stuffed blueberry french toast was the highlight of the stay! I could go on and on but just know, if you have the opportunity to stay here, you will not be disappointed. Mark, Bob- Thank you for everything and I hope to return soon.

Room Tip: THe suite on the third floor is wonderful for a family. So spacious.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ruth W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 6 in Iowa City
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!