“Welcoming spot”
Review of Brown Street Inn

Brown Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Several friends and I have spent a weekend here for the past two years and have reserved for next spring. The 3rd floor room sleeps 3 and has microwave and sink, so we bring dinner and heat it up there. This room also provides a good space for the 7 of us to hang out. Inn is nicely appointed with comfortable rooms and public areas. Bob and Mark are wonderful hosts and willing to help in all kinds of ways. Weekend breakfasts are special!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandy F

Reviewed 12 December 2013

After my partner and I decided to end our 40 year "engagement" and get married in Iowa, I happened upon the Brown Street Inn while poking around on this website. As I read review after review, I couldn't believe my good fortune, and there was no doubt as to where we would be staying. We were in The Suite for 4 comfortable nights in early October. Mark and Bob were not only gracious and helpful hosts, they served as our witnesses during our memorable ceremony on the front porch. (Bob took the photographs, which we really treasure.) I highly recommend the inn to all travelers to Iowa City.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bam296
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Mark and Bob helped make my stay in Iowa City absolutely amazing. I was there for business, but felt the comforts of home. When I first checked in, I immediately saw a plate of homemade cookies in the entrance. I love sweet treats, so I had a good feeling that this was going to be a great stay. I was right. My room was immaculate, warm and cozy. The wireless internet connection worked right away and there were never any problems with service. Mark provided me with everything I needed to prepare for my busy schedule (e.g., ironing board/iron and a fresh early morning cup of coffee). Although the Inn was full, I never knew because all was very quiet and private. One of my favorite things about traveling are fluffy hotel towels and complimentary lotion. Both in the Brown Street Inn made me very happy. I will not even begin to tell you about breakfast, because you may begin to doubt my review.

A stay at the Brown Street Inn is a must when visiting Iowa City. In fact, planning a vacation to Iowa City will be another review I write in part because of my stay.

Thank you Mark and Bob! Bravo!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My partner of 40 years and I stayed at the Brown Street Inn on Aug. 23. We were married in their lovely living room. Mark and Bob were very kind and helpful. It was a wonderful experience. Highly recommend the Inn to anyone staying in Iowa City...getting married or not. They certainly deserve their #1 rating!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. We stayed in the Green room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My partner and I travel a lot, and stay in B & Bs whenever possible. The Brown Street Inn is one of the very best. The exterior appeal, the welcome at the door, the decor, the room itself, the conversation around the breakfast table. They have it all. We stayed in the Red Room, which was very nice. My only suggestion is that for other 60-somethings who enjoy reading, they could provide better reading lights -- on the nightstands, and next to the sweet sofa.

A very nice continental breakfast is provided from 7-10, with coffee available at 6:30. We will definitely return, and look forward to doing so. (Mark should run a school for innkeepers!!)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bookerRochesterMN
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my 3-night stay at the Brown Street Inn. Even before I arrived, I knew from talking with Mark on the phone that I would enjoy staying at Mark's and Bob's B&B. Both Mark and Bob were so very welcoming. You feel right at home and at ease the moment you arrive. Their B&B is beautifully decorated, spotless, and quiet. The breakfast fare and cookies were wonderful. My daughter that has dietary restrictions joined me for breakfast one morning. Mark and Bob created a duplicate meal for her that was gluten free that she very much appreciated and enjoyed. Although I didn't have enough free time to spend much time on that awesome front porch, I'm hoping to do that during a return visit! Mark and Bob definitely set the tone for a pleasant home away from home. The conversations with Mark and Bob are something that I will fondly keep in my memories. The overall stay was heart warming and more than met my expectations. I feel that Mark and Bob have become friends to us.

Room Tip: I stayed in the yellow room. It is a comfy, beautifully decorated room. I was able to take a look...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Perched on a hilltop just north of downtown, the Brown Street Inn will be your home away from home when you're visiting Iowa City. The inn is comfortably and tastefully furnished with antiques without being fussy. The front porch was a real treat, overlooking the beautifully landscaped front yard. We stayed in the Green Room which was spotlessly clean and welcoming (although the black plumbing fixtures did take a little getting used to).

Mark and Bob are great hosts and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The bathroom in the Green Room is somewhat cramped. If you don't require a king-size bed, consi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#7 of 7 in Iowa City
1 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Iowa City Downtown University

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!