“An Oasis in Iowa”

Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“An Oasis in Iowa”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Trying to find a place to stay while my grandson was being treated at the Iowa Ubiversity Children's Hospital lead me to the Brown Street Inn. My 3 night stay was very relaxing. The breakfasts were delicious and the innkeeper, Mark, provided excellent ideas for places to visit in the area between treatments. Whether or not I visit Iowa again is debatable, but if it do, the Brown Street Inn would be the only place I would choose to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Tampa
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My partner and I wanted an intimate place to get married and the Brown Street Inn exceeded our expectations. The Inn is in a quiet neighborhood with beautiful furnishings. The innkeepers, Mark and Bob served as our witnesses but also made us feel so much at home. We stayed in the Green Room which has a king sized bed and ample room with chairs and table and a refrigerator. It was very cold outside while we were there, but the inn was always toasty and warm. The inn is easy walking distance from downtown Iowa City.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TampaHiker
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Several friends and I have spent a weekend here for the past two years and have reserved for next spring. The 3rd floor room sleeps 3 and has microwave and sink, so we bring dinner and heat it up there. This room also provides a good space for the 7 of us to hang out. Inn is nicely appointed with comfortable rooms and public areas. Bob and Mark are wonderful hosts and willing to help in all kinds of ways. Weekend breakfasts are special!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandy F
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 12 December 2013

After my partner and I decided to end our 40 year "engagement" and get married in Iowa, I happened upon the Brown Street Inn while poking around on this website. As I read review after review, I couldn't believe my good fortune, and there was no doubt as to where we would be staying. We were in The Suite for 4 comfortable nights in early October. Mark and Bob were not only gracious and helpful hosts, they served as our witnesses during our memorable ceremony on the front porch. (Bob took the photographs, which we really treasure.) I highly recommend the inn to all travelers to Iowa City.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bam296
West Coast
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Mark and Bob helped make my stay in Iowa City absolutely amazing. I was there for business, but felt the comforts of home. When I first checked in, I immediately saw a plate of homemade cookies in the entrance. I love sweet treats, so I had a good feeling that this was going to be a great stay. I was right. My room was immaculate, warm and cozy. The wireless internet connection worked right away and there were never any problems with service. Mark provided me with everything I needed to prepare for my busy schedule (e.g., ironing board/iron and a fresh early morning cup of coffee). Although the Inn was full, I never knew because all was very quiet and private. One of my favorite things about traveling are fluffy hotel towels and complimentary lotion. Both in the Brown Street Inn made me very happy. I will not even begin to tell you about breakfast, because you may begin to doubt my review.

A stay at the Brown Street Inn is a must when visiting Iowa City. In fact, planning a vacation to Iowa City will be another review I write in part because of my stay.

Thank you Mark and Bob! Bravo!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My partner of 40 years and I stayed at the Brown Street Inn on Aug. 23. We were married in their lovely living room. Mark and Bob were very kind and helpful. It was a wonderful experience. Highly recommend the Inn to anyone staying in Iowa City...getting married or not. They certainly deserve their #1 rating!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. We stayed in the Green room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rochester MN
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My partner and I travel a lot, and stay in B & Bs whenever possible. The Brown Street Inn is one of the very best. The exterior appeal, the welcome at the door, the decor, the room itself, the conversation around the breakfast table. They have it all. We stayed in the Red Room, which was very nice. My only suggestion is that for other 60-somethings who enjoy reading, they could provide better reading lights -- on the nightstands, and next to the sweet sofa.

A very nice continental breakfast is provided from 7-10, with coffee available at 6:30. We will definitely return, and look forward to doing so. (Mark should run a school for innkeepers!!)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bookerRochesterMN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 6 in Iowa City
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!