“Right in the Heart of the City”

Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed 24 March 2013

If you want a nice hotel, right in the heart of the city, walking distance to jazz festival, farmers market, and the college, this would be a good place for you. It can be a little pricy, and if you go during a time where there is any event in town, you are going to have to pay like $20 a day for parking. The hotel doesnt have free parking and you will never find a place on the street during a festival. The rooms are clean. The pool and hot tub are not that great but they have a nice deck for sunbathing.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest level room available. Preferably facing the main part of town.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Melanie B, General Manager at Sheraton Iowa City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel! We do have parking options I hope you will use in the future! We currently offer $11/day for self parking which provides you 24 hour in and out privilages. The validation stickers are provided at the Front Desk for you!

Certainly we too would love an outdoor pool yet we offer ours on the 2nd floor as our location provides so many additional options for your enjoyment as well!

Hope to meet you during your next stay in Iowa City!

Reviewed 22 March 2013

The only downside to this hotel was that there is an extra fee for the parking garage and the wifi. Its actually a public parking garage and the hotel gives you a discount... but I hate hidden fees. We were able to connect to the wifi of another business located next-door, but it would have been a hassel otherwise. The hotel service was good... the room was very clean and very nice. The bed was VERY comfortable! I have to say my favorite part of this hotel was the location! It is located right in the heart of the coolest area in Iowa City. I was impressed with the number of good restaurants and fun places within walking distance.

Overall, I would say this is an above average hotel... although not the greatest by any means.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

I wanted to reach out and let you know we are not trying to hide any fees! Each traveler is different in their needs so we do try to accomodate each guest in a more personalized manner. Our internet service does contain a fee yet for that fee, we do provide extensive bandwidth to allow you the option to access faster service and better streaming options for all wireless devices!

We look forward to having you join us again for a sweet nights sleep in our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds! Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed 19 March 2013

This was a one night, hit and run for a business meeting at the hotel. My room was phenomenal. King bed with ultra plush linens and pillows. I arrived late evening, super tired, hungry and anxious for my early morning presentation. It was a pleasure to stay here. Room service was outstanding in delivery, presentation and over satisfaction.
In the business center I was assisted with technical matters in a warm and efficient manner. The meeting room was perfect. Check in/check out also efficient.
I was able to breeze in, have all my needs met, and breeze out.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

I am so glad you enjoyed all aspects of your experience at the Sheraton! Share Wine Lounge & Small Plate Bistro does provide some exceptional in room dining options! Next time you are in town please join us for Sheraton Social Hour!!!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton while attending a sorority mother/daughter weekend. Great location, nice rooms, comfortable beds, clean and the reception desk had a very friendly and efficient man attending to just about everyone. This really is one of the best, if not the best hotel in Iowa City. Really like staying here when we visit. Even got a special on the rate which I was emailed right before we came so we were able to stay a second night for $59.00. The only complaint I would have is the air-conditioner in the room is extremely loud. Daughter and I woke with a start when it kicked on, it was winter, but I like my room cold.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

We love it when you get to spend quality mother/daughter time together! We did follow up on your HVAC and worked on stabalizing to lower the noice level at the time it kicks on.

We do offer a variety of packages and special promotions throughout the year! We look forward to you trying them all during your future stays!

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed a couple of nights because our young son had eye surgery at the University Hospital. The hotel was wonderful and is located within walking distance to many great things. The pool is undergoing some maintenance so they gave us passes the the University Rec Center...what a Treat! It was only a short walk (shuttle was offered) and had a great pool for our three year old. Thanks to the staff for there great hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

We all hope your son has recovered well! Let us know if you ever need anything else during your next trip to Iowa City! Warm regards!

Reviewed 8 March 2013

On our way to Kansas City, we avoided a snowstorm by spending the night in Iowa City. We had booked at a motel in Coralville but after getting a recommendation from the smart staff at Iowa Book, we switched to the Sheraton in town. For $15 more we got covered parking and a lovely college town, which I thought was pretty good for a last-minute rate. Prairie Lights Bookstore was steps away. The room had just been renovated, and was very nice, with a very comfortable bed. Prairie LIghts was steps away, as were lots of food options and a terrific food market.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us during the snow storm. We are hoping the winter weather blows over and we start feeling the warmth of spring! If your travels bring you this way again please join us and experience the Pedestrian Mall - shops & fun in warmer weather!

Have a great spring!

Reviewed 6 March 2013

When I travel, I need really strong internet. I play massive multiplayer online games semi-seriously, and finding a decent hotel connection while traveling is always a bear. I routinely ask for rooms "near the router," and this at least gives me enough bars. But then often hotels don't buy enough bandwidth, and by the time all the guests log on with their ipads and wireless devices, there's nothing leftover. You end up with five bars but no ability to download anything at speed. Disconnections, dropouts, and long lag times are the norm. People relying on the "hotel healer" (yes, that's my in-game nickname) to heal them in games are dropping dead with each lost packet. Nerd rage among team members results. We lose boss kills. Team rankings plummet.

Fast forward to the Sheraton Iowa City. I gave the usual instructions ("need strong internet; prefer room near router") and the front desk not only wrote back to tell me they'd found a good room, but also connected me with their engineer, to make sure they'd gotten the specifications right. And then I show up and, joy of joys, there's an actual hardwire in addition to the wireless. And another message from the engineer asking if everything was OK with my connection, or did they need to jury rig something.

Well, I'm impressed. These guys had sub-20 ms lag to begin with and were willing to optimize it further for me. I don't even get that at home. Kudos.

And, yes, the rooms were clean and business-like, and the front desk staff were courteous and helpful. The only negative experience was the shrimp dish I ordered from the restaurant affiliated with the hotel, Share. The Asian sauce was 80% ketchup, I think. I guess that's a Midwestern take on Asian cuisine :) Much better were the breakfasts there. Lesson learned: Stick to American food.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for letting us know about your exceptional experience! Executive Chef Thorin Peugh did look into the shrimp and we will make sure we provide quality each experience. We do strive to use local ingredients in all our small plates. Give us another try and let us know while you are here so we can provide you a different option, at our cost, to enjoy if you aren't satisfied!

Look forward to having you back in the future! Thanks agian for your review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Travelodge Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
#5 of 7 in Iowa City
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#7 of 7 in Iowa City
Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!