“It is all about location !”

Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is very plain but clean. The reason to stay is that it is located right on mall downtown. This way you can park the car and walk as long as you need to stay in Iowa City and the University of Iowa area. The staff is not very good, but pleasant enough. I would stay here again as hotel was clean and bed was comfortable and location, location, location. The price was high, but your paying for the location.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 December 2013

A great location in the pedestrian area but the hotel is very average, staff were helpful at times, room was pleasant , food was not great
I would not want to go back again to this hotel
Loved the book store close by and the market next door

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank dawlish
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were in town for a short, one day trip. The room rate I booked online included self-parking, but there was no information about the parking.

We pulled up, and there was no valet or bell hop in sight (as mentioned in another review), nor did we see one the whole time we were in the lobby. Not a big issue, as we had small rolling bags.

The front desk clerk was nice, but difficult to understand. When I asked about the parking, she said I should have just parked in the public, city ramp right on the corner of Burlington & Dubuque streets, and bring in the ticket. I asked about in & out, and she said to just bring the ticket each time. I still wasn't clear how it worked. It ended up that they ask for you room number and put a sticker on your ticket. If your parking isn't included, they will add it to your bill. At the ramp, the cashier just let's you out when they see the sticker. Not too bad, but can be a hassle when they're busy at the desk.

The room was pretty nice, the bed was comfortable, but it was a little noisy. We could hear people talking next door and outside sirens, etc. Not horrible, but noticeable.

We couldn't figure out what they were thinking with the "closet". There was a small section to hang clothes, and then a really short section with a rod and hangers, but nothing could possibly hang there.

We were on the SPG preferred guest floor. Outside the elevator, there was a mini fridge and a microwave sitting on the ground the whole time we were there (not plugged in). Looked very tacky.

We had free internet, which was a surprise. Nothing on their website indicated it would be free. Almost didn't stay there because I think it's stupid that it's just standard. It didn't seem that it was because of the floor, or because I have SPG. Seemed set up for all as free.

Overall, probably better than I was expecting. The hotel was a Holiday Inn 15 years ago when I was last in town, so my expectations were fairly low. It was nice enough, no major complaints, just a few small annoyances.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Troy G
Reviewed 16 November 2013

First stayed in this Sheraton 12 years ago for our son's freshman orientation at U of I. Was overpriced (likely due to the fact they were the only downtown hotel at the time), accommodations were nothing to get excited about. THe next time we stayed was for his graduation. THe first time we stayed there was because we didn't know any better the second because there was a lot of celebration going on downtown and we did want to drive.

Fast forward 12 years and we had cause to be in Iowa City overnight. Checked a number of options and while its still one of the priciest hotels in town we also saw they had done renovations so thought we'd go for it. Big mistake. Despite being a Starwood Preferred member (whatever that means or is worth) we found ourselves in one of the most poorly planned hotel rooms I've ever seen. Of course the place was full (there's one born every minute) so we could not switch. Among the rooms "shortcomings".

- a wall hung sink in the bathroom, no counter, my shaving kit ended up on the floor as did most of my wife's stuff. When we asked it this was a accessible room we were told it had been but was no longer...guess what, it still is.
- the bathroom mirror had some kind of a back lite thing going on, great for a bar, not enough lite for shaving.
- no closet in the room, a wardrobe unit with a total of about 8" of usable hanging rod space. We had stuff spread out on what little floor space there was and hanging from the shower rod. If this had been winter and we'd had heavy coats we probably would have had to sleep under them.

Too many other good choices at a lot less cost. Fool me once shame on me...fool me twice, my Starwood Preferred card is history.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank george r
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

...based on their location and the lack of any real competition aside from the adjacent Hotel Vetro. This hotel could and should be so much more, especially for what they charge.

First impression was a total joke, pulled up to the entrance where valet is "provided" to find not a single employee anywhere. No valet, no bellman, nothing. I proceeded to unload my entire car myself as my two young children sat there. Hello!! Service anyone?

Two big disappointments were they removed the massive jacuzzi from the suites upon their last "remodel" and filled the jacuzzi that used to be next to the pool. Total bust for my kids who were so excited to swim. Pool was cold and with nowhere to warm up, our enjoyment there was over before it had even begun.

We ordered room service once and found it to be surprisingly good.

Club floor lounge needs some life breathed into it; except for Humberto who was outstanding and totally "gets" the job description, the other employees were lethargic and casual. C'mon people, step it up, you're at work! Don't stand around with your hands in your pockets.

Beds are way too soft though bedding was great. Suite is very noisy as you hear the elevator. All. Night. Long.

Overall, this property has so much potential but is sadly not at all living up to it.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Sandiegomo
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have stayed at some rather nice hotels before this. I know they are pricey on Hawkeye Football weekends but this was a bit much. The hotel was clean. Did not eat there so nothing to add. When I placed the reservation for Thursday night the AAA rate was $154. We considered staying Friday night as well instead of driving 90 miles home and back on Sat for the game. However they required $350 for Friday night. A bit much don't you think. I don't mind the plastic glasses in the room as another reviewer did. Mainly because I am just not sure that those glass glasses always get washed. By the way, never use an ice bucket without a plastic liner. Bring your own if you have to, but I digress, The room had two very nice queen size beds. I am tall but still had to almost jump up to get on the bed. The problem I had was the bathroom. How tiny can you get. When I opened the door all the way, it 'barely' cleared the toilet. The bar to help you in and out of the shower was up by the end where the shower head is. In order to hold onto that to get in or out is impossible. Immediately out of the same end of the tub in the toilet. You need the handle at the rear of the tub. Parking was free (maybe only with the AAA rate) in an adjacent parking lot. At that price, not sure I would stay there again. We did it because the University I-Club has a Friday breakfast there and it starts very early. Enjoyed the breakfast, room was decent and clean. Bathroom size definitely too small and not laid out well.

Room Tip: Belong to AAA or other Club for a discount
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank iahmb
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My family and I stayed at the Sheraton on our way to our next duty station. While there, we decided to get some dinner out on the town. We headed out the back entrance and was immediately met with a lot of homeless people and even got to see a drug deal go down. 4 years ago, my wife and I would have laughed it off and went on exploring and possibly do some bar hoping. However, we now have a beautiful little girl. There's no way I was going to keep her out there with all of that around.

So, we headed back to the hotel to get food at the restaurant. My daughters chicken came out raw and our food was really terrible. All except the crab cakes. Those were delicious.

Back in the room, I noticed there were no actual glasses to drink from. Rather, plastic cups. Is this really the Sheraton? So, if you wanted to poor yourself a drink, you'll do it from a plastic cup.

The internet didn't work. I was patched through to IT and then was told by IT it's the hotel and that he couldn't do anything. Back to the front desk and I immediately asked for the manager. Desiree got on the phone and was very professional and courteous. We finally got the issue worked out.

Lastly, when I was inquiring about parking, I was asked by the front desk clerk if I was living there. It was funny at the time because you could tell it was a language issue as English was not her first language. But it also just added to the experience. But, I replied that yes I was living there.

A very sketchy Sheraton.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingJJD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Travelodge Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
#5 of 7 in Iowa City
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#7 of 7 in Iowa City
Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!