“Wedding party.”

and 1 more site!
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Iowa City
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Very helpful front desk. Great concier/shuttle. Both bartenders were sociable and manager in bar went out of the way to bring wine and appetizers to room when I forgot id in room. Really dropped ball with catering and customer service with wedding party. Very unorganized and when asked for coffee which is normally out with or before cake was no where to be found. Can't beat location and rooms are as expected from Sheraton. Would recommend staying but if doing event/wedding make sure all expectations are known and followed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dittmerj

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a very nice hotel that is still within budget friendly range. It is located in the heart of downtown Iowa City, right on the pedestrian mall and a stone’s throw from the University of Iowa and many restaurants and pubs. The room quality was very good, and the beds were comfortable. The service was friendly (staff seemed to be students or recent graduates from the university). There is an excellent grocery store (Bread Garden) a few steps away on the mall.

A few other important things to know: Parking is not complimentary. You have to park in the adjacent downtown parking lot for a price of $12 a night. Not too bad, but would have been better if it was complimentary. In room wifi was complimentary, which was nice. The real disappointment was that there was no refrigerator in the room. We called down to the lobby, and were told that they actually charge $10 to put a mini-fridge in your room! We declined. It’s disappointing that hotels like this charge guests for amenities that really should be standard and come with the room charge. (Not surprisingly, they also charge $3 per bottle of water as well).

For that reason alone, this hotel gets only 3 stars from me when it should otherwise be 5.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TLAM99
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I gave it a second chance, thinking maybe after 4 years they might get it right... well, no. The hotel is just even more run down than before and service is TERRIBLE!!! We stayed in a concierge level room, the lounge never had much in it. I booked for 4 nights, but only stayed one. The first night th heat was not working, it was March and about 15 degrees. They sent someone up to check it, then someone else, and then after about 1.5 hrs of watching them dink around with it hauling 3 buckets full of water off, I asked the front sell to move me, I mean really!!! I had been traveling since 4 a.m. and wasn't paying concierge rates to watch two guys take apart and splash and drain the broken heat unit. The front desk moved me, but weren't apologetic, and really seemed like they could care less. The concierge lounge now includes the top two floors, instead of just the top floor, and it is TINY and not very well stocked. The rooms are old, and dates and cramped. I moved to the hotel next door and couldn't have been happier.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel next door!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Hippocampi
melabak, General Manager at Sheraton Iowa City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We want to apologize for your poor experience. Certainly we don't want any of our guests to experience a bad stay and we failed you. We have received some new HVAC units which are being installed now that should assist with some of the individual guestroom concerns.

The Club floor will be enhanced with some new items this year and we recognize the need for this area to be the best for our Sheraton Club experience! I hope you will allow us the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Thank you for sharing your experience. My sincere apolgies again!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very nice and clean upscale hotel centrally located in Iowa City. We were passing through during spring break and there were a lot of college kids partying but it appeared extra security was on site. We had no issues with the college kids and had a very nice restful stay.

Room Tip: Awesome rooms!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your great experience at the Sheraton Iowa City! We are so glad we were your choice while traveling in Iowa! We look forward to seeing you during your next vacation!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed into the Sheraton Iowa City hotel a couple of times for business and found it really comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are well-furnished and clean. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel that has a nice selection of beer and wine and a menu ranging from small bites to entrees. There is paid parking at the garage attached to the hotel as well. I like the area the hotel is in because it's near the university campus and there are lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance. There is a great market right next door where you can buy groceries or prepared foods. It also has a great wine and beer section with a very knowledgeable man who has been there each time I visited. He's always happy to make recommendations and is an expert on everything they carry.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your exceptional experience! We are so pleased you had the opportunity to stay in the hotel, enjoy Share Wine Lounge and our local community. The Iowa City area continued to develop and with the summer season we have numerous outdoor events to add to our excitement and flair!

We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

A few issues:

1. When I booked this hotel, as one of two choices offered by the conference I was attending at UIowa, the person on the phone assured me it had airport transportation. Based on that, I choose this facility over the other choices. Also based on that, on Wednesday night, I arrived at the Cedar Rapids Airport and waited for a van that never came. When I called the hotel, one "receptionist" assured me the Sheraton had no transportation beyond 3 miles, and then, halfway through the conversation, disconnected me. When I called back, another woman assured me that I had been misinformed at booking---with little apology and not a lot of good to me alone at 10 p.m. at night in an unfamiliar airport.

2. Except for one young woman, the front desk staff seem be generally clueless, and the most frequent answer I got was "Um ... I don't know." Example: On Friday afternoon, the WiFi was non-functional, but when I called the front desk to ask if it was hotel-wide or just my laptop or room, I again got the hang up. Later, this same "receptionist" called back and offered me an 800 number to call so I could troubleshoot it myself. Next day, of course, I learned that it was the hotel system and many of my colleagues had experienced same. That was all I needed to know and would have saved me time trying to fix it from my end.

I don't need or mean to be negative. But honestly, this hotel should train its front desk staff in (a) answering a phone without disconnecting the person and (b) Giving out accurate information at the time of booking. Often, this information makes a customer decide to book one hotel or a competitor. In my case, and based on the info I was given at time of booking, I made the wrong choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AineG

Thank you for telling us about your experience. I want to personally assure you that our staff has been thru some extension training since your last visit and we take service seriously!

We do not have airport transportation from CID (Cedar Rapids) yet there are rental cars, the Airport Shuttle and local taxi's available. We have upgraded out wifi services to provide 100mbpsx100mbps throughout the hotel. I know it was a severe inconvenience during the process. We have more enhancements coming to make the service even better for you!

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to show you we can do it right! When your travel brings you back to Iowa, please consider Sheraton!

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Was shocked to drive up next to a bar which was very noisy and busy with college kids. Turned out not to be near any rooms though the wafting smoke all around the entrance was Yucko! Front desk misunderstood me about a few different things - not sure if there was a language barrier or what but we wound up not having housekeeping while we were gone all afternoon and then the ac issue was incorrect given to nice repair guy. So it was never fixed as prob was too big for eve. Hallway noise was a lot early in morn- doors loud and maybe not thick enough. ( again if we could've left the fan on I might not have heard as much!).

Restaurant next door is pricey for meals but great food great service.

Location couldn't be more perfect and rooms are very comfortable in every way. We would def stay there again!

Btw loved the soups from Heirloom Salad Co. yum!

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for providing us information about your experience! Our city is very lively and provides many options for entertainment.

We do offer a smoking area for our guests and will ensure it is further away from the entrance. We want to provide options for all our guests! Our Engineering team has fixed the areas tht were not working and our housekeeping team is ready to show you that they are exceptional during your next stay!

We look forward to seeing your during your next trip to Iowa!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hilton Garden Inn Iowa City Downtown University
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Travelodge Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
#5 of 7 in Iowa City
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Clarion Highlander Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!