“Good central location”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Kansas City, Missouri
“Good central location”
Reviewed 15 September 2006

The Sheraton @ Iowa City is nicely situated in the downtown area with unique shops, pubs, restaurants and the University nearby. The staff at this hotel makes the visit an above average experience with their pleasant and attentive nature. The rooms are large and the comfy bed with multiple pillows was a nice surprise. There were some minor maintenance issues, which brings down my rating from excellent. Also, the hotel restaurant was good but not great. I arrived after 10 pm and the area restaurants had closed at that time, so I was desperate.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Parking deck was a bit confusing... it is a public run garage, but there are special rates for guests.
  • Tips/Secrets — Try out the nightlife at the nearby restaurants/bars.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Viking-travels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 August 2006

First off, the hotel is definitely conveniently located with many dining choices and small shops right outside. Parking is in the public garage next door ($8/day).

Upon check-in, I was given a "Preferred Guest" room, so I don't know if my room is any different from the rest. The check-in was quick and the front desk staff that I dealt with was very nice and thoughtful.

When I arrived at my room, it seemed nice at first, except for a persistant odor -- it's sort of what dirty damp towels would smell like and probably comes from the bathroom. The room is quite large (mine had 2 beds and faced the Ped. Mall). The bed was covered in a lush royal blue comforter. All seemed well until I settled down and noticed the flaws.

The bed: Once the comforter was pulled off, there is a beige chenille? blanket that is more grey than beige and seems to be thinned off due to years of service. The pillowcases are also very thin for the same reason. There were 5-6 pillows per bed, but none seems to be in new condition. Some had a hair or two on it from someone else. However, the bed is quite comfortable for me since it's on the firm side.

The bathroom, as mentioned by another reviewer, was very small and cramped. It's almost impossible to use the shower tub without closing the door. Everything works fine, but it just feels cheap. Toilet papers are the rough thin type. The towels however, are quite fresh and not aged like the linens.

There is a small refrigerator under the TV which is very convenient. Breakfast is not included normally, but I was given access to the Club Lounge where breakfast is provided. There is a good selections of bagels, bread, drinks, milk, etc., and the female attendant there was cheerful and polite.

The room does need new carpets and wallpaper badly as they appeared to have had decades of service. I found things on the carpet which suggest it wasn't vacuumed thoroughly.

I asked for a quiet room and it was indeed quiet as it was located in the middle of the hall and on the 7th floor. If you are concerned about noise, those close to the elevator (also where the vending and ice machines area) may be more noisy.

One more thing, there were only a scant # of cable channels which was another disappointment upon all the others I've mentioned.

• Liked — Locatoin
  • Disliked — Rooms need renovation
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank mmyk72
Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Hard to believe this was the same hotel after it switched from being a Holiday Inn to a Sheraton.

Prices were much higher than comparable hotels (and from being a Holiday Inn)

Paid extra for breakfast....only to find that I had to pay more still if I wanted something to drink during breakfast!!! (HUH?!?!?) RIPOFF

At 1:30am the fire alarm went off and all the hotel guests had to evacuate for an hour.
Tryed to get them to reduce the room rate for the disturbance...The staff was no help.

Emailed Sheraton HQ to complain, no reply.

Never stayed there again!!!

• Stayed July 2004
3 Thank John887
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 19 June 2006

My family visits the Iowa City Area 1-3 times a month. The differences between the hotel now and a year ago are astondishing. It is hard to believe it it the same hotel. A year ago
the hotel was nicely kept, the pool area was always clean, the rooms were clean, the staff was helpful and the club level room was enjoyable. On my last 3 visits each time there has been problems with my stay. 1. The rooms have a moldy smell, I believe this a problem with either the shower curtain or possibly the air conditioning unit. 2. The hot tub has been out 2 of the last 3 visits (our last visit we didn't even try). The pool area is normally trashy (soda and beer cans, dirty towels everywhere). 3. The Club level room, use to be stocked nicely with cheese and meats for snacks and at breakfast time there previously was several items to choose from, and real glasses were provided to use
for drinks. The club level attendandent was always polite and very willing to help. Nowadays and especially on our last 3 visits the club level room attendant has been uncaring. 2 of the 3 times he was on the computer and would not even get up to help with door when he seen that my hands were full. Two visits ago I asked if he had any caffinated tea, I was told the Sheraton did not have any, however when we were checking out an hour later, the lobby was fully stocked. This last weekend the hot water container was empty, when I asked for hot water he filled it with warm tap water, it was not hot enough to even brew my tea. On our most recent stay we asked to be placed in a room away from any parties, because many of our last stays we have been woken up after midnight my very loud parties. On our stay the weeked of June 3, we called security because of the loud party, after security walked away the guest next door sat outside of our door and blew cigarette smoke under our door. It seems to me that if the security teams sees a loud and drunk group heading up to their rooms they could keep a better eye
on the situation.I have found that the older hotel, The Best Western Canterbury, while not a three star hotel it beats the Sheraton hands down.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank travelersfromIndy
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 7 March 2006

This is a good hotel, at a good rate, in a good location. No real negatives,

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Bill F
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 November 2005

The rooms are nicely appointed, very comfortable bed and you can't beat the location.
highly recommended. we got a great price because we went off-season and couldn't believe what a bargain it was. i will definitely stay there again when i return.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 18 August 2005

I have stayed at this property several times over the years. It is in a great location. The public areas are fine and the staff are all friendly and helpful. However, the rooms are showing their age, are somewhat on the shabby side of things and need some updating. Given the price of rooms here I think their might be choices with more value in the area to consider.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank highdesertbadger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Iowa City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!