“Good for a night!”
Review of Chief Lamoni Motel

Chief Lamoni Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lamoni
Chief Lamoni Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lamoni
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We tried for over 50 miles along US 35 to find a motel with outside doors. We are on our way home from Dodge City Kansas to Woodstock, IL, and Bethany, MO was half way. No motels with outside doors. We have golf clubs in our car and have been on the road for over 3 weeks with some other luggage we wanted to leave in the car, and wanted to be in a MOTEL with outside doors so we could hear our car alarm if anything happened. This motel is NOT on our Garmen GPS, my Ford Edge MySync (which sucks anyway) or on Google!!! But, we found it anyway. It's about $45 a night, old and worn, like most of us. But, clean enough, great sized rooms (double) with a refrigerator, cable tv and internet access. Fit our bill perfectly! Do not expect luxury - basic simple clean enough accomodation for a night.

Room Tip: We chose a room on the street side, but I'm sure the rooms on the back may be quieter - not sure...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MaryAnn H

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This little motel has both indoor and outdoor entrances to your room. The rooms are
updated and very clean. This place is a great value for the price ($45). I will definitely use
it again. My wife and I stayed here in March of 2012.

Room Tip: First check internet reviews. Then make sure you ask to look at the rooom before renting it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lbwiskey
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This place is OLD and run down. Carpet was worn, bedding was old and dated. I must admit that is was clean enough to sleep in, but I would not want to stay here again. It looks like a place dirty where transient construction workers would call home because it is cheap and care free.

Regarding the rating of "poor", that may be a little harsh but it's less than average so it gets a poor rating.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank GoSyncro
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Good for 1 night. Clean. Not our favorite stay though.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Divine-tea4two
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We never intended to stay at Chief Lamoni. It just happened to be raining when we got to Nine Eagles State Park, so we chickened out. But we can’t complain. Chief Lamoni is quite a bargain. Not close to anywhere, true, but the price is great for a large room and very clean accommodations. We’d recommend the rooms in the rear to avoid the highway noise, but it is well off the interstate so that won’t be in issue.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GoOSUCowboys
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I don’t recall how I originally learned about this place. I read some reviews on TA and other websites, but I have to confess that what attracted me was its name. I’m one of Lamoni’s many admirers, although I’ve never before seen him referred to as a chief. He was a king in a Book of Mormon episode.

The motel is on the very eastern edge of the small town of Lamoni, out of the main part of the city and near the I-35 interchange. Nearby are another motel or two, gas stations, the homey QC (stands for Quilt Country) Family Restaurant almost next door--close enough that I checked off "yes" to whether the place has a restaurant; and a state visitor center a few hundred yards away. The place is small and modest looking, and the low rates could deceive someone into suspecting it’s a dump. But I found it to be clean and well-kept, with everything in good working order, and the manager (or desk clerk) was friendly and welcoming.

The motel is set well back from the road, a state highway leading to I-35, and traffic is very light at night. The nearest intersection is a rural road that apparently goes to some farms, and I saw a couple of the horse-drawn buggies of the Amish people go by, as I did elsewhere around the area.

The motel layout is a bit unusual. All the rooms have a front door facing the parking lot, and also a back door facing an inside corridor where there are vending and ice machines and access to the lobby. The inside corridor has emergency exits on each end, so each room has two emergency exits. Behind the building is a grassy area. If it’s part of the motel property, it would make a nice picnic area. I found a beautiful black cat hanging out there—don’t know if it’s the same cat Suzyq saw back in 2008.

The restaurant is maybe 100 yards away and is open for lunch and dinner. Like most of my meals in the Midwest, it was comfort food (IIRC I had a chicken-fried steak, one of my guilty pleasures that I indulged a couple of times on this trip).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Frisco_Roadrunner
Reviewed 25 September 2009

The hotel accepts pets if they sleep out in your car-even after quoting a fee of $10 per night for the pet. Our dog is a competition dog for Bird Dog Challenge and was in the area for a tournament. We weren't told until we went to check in, that the dog must sleep outside, or not be allowed to get on the bed....and if it got on the bed, we would be charged an additional cleaning fee. These dogs in these competitions are valuable dogs-very highly trained, and the Nationals for Bird Dog Challenge is held in the area-this hotel is going to lose out on a lot of business due to their "sleep outside" policy-or get out your checkbook!! The desk clerk said that was "Fine by her". Very rude front desk.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business