The Bell Inn
Woodlands Lodge Hotel(Woodlands)
The White Rabbit(Lyndhurst)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsnew forestgolf coursegolf clublovely hotelevening mealmy partnerhigh standardthe pubbar areatoastacross the roadfull englishcar parkthe ground floorcream teaafternoon teagolf break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were searching for a wedding venue then we stumbled across the bell inn and I am so glad we found this place as soon as we visited the venue we knew this was the idea place to get married from its picturesque location to the nicely done out interior and rooms.
Mark and all his staff done a fantastic job on the day setting out all the tables and extras we had the venue looked amazing, throughout the build up Mark was very approachable and helpful.
The food was outstanding, the rooms were very comfortable.

We would like to thank Mark & all his staff for all there help in making our wedding day so special.
We will never forget it and will definitely be dining out & staying at the Bell Inn in the future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
Mark P, General Manager at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Paul S,
Thank you for writing a review about your recent Wedding at the Bell Inn, it was a fantastic day and great atmosphere, all the staff and myself enjoyed the day very much. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best regards

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have been going to The New Forest for many years staying in Fordingbridge, Godshill and Bramshaw, and have visited The Bell several times. It has always been a friendly, welcoming pub/ restaurant and my recent experience does nothing to change my long-formed opinion.

I recently visited the pub with my family in a group of 3 couples and 6 kids for lunch. We were asked whether we wanted to sit in the garden or inside which considering we were a group of 12 was great. Daniel looked after us fantastically and nothing seemed too much bother for him - pretty impressive considering we had 6 very tired and indecisive kids!

The kids menu was great, nice and easy and all came out quickly which kept them quiet whilst they weren't running around the garden. Meanwhile the 6 adults had x2 Roast Chicken and x4 Roast Beef (myself included). One of our party has worked in catering for many years and her overall impression of the food, particularly the dessert, was that it was "on a par with Mossiman's". A bit beyond me, but what I can say is that my roast beef was seriously good, plenty of it and cooked beautifully. If I had to pick up on anything it would be that I would have liked more gravy but this is splitting hairs as when I asked for some, Daniel was on it straight away. And all washed down with a couple of pints of Boondoggle!

The Bell seems to never stand still and I noticed they have redesigned the bar area and as well as I think "The Garden Room", both a great improvement on an already excellent pub/ restaurant and in keeping with it's constant refresh whilst remaining classy.

I am looking forward to returning and recommend that others do too, it is by far the best pub in the area in my opinion.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gibbers74
Mark P, General Manager at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear gibbers74,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent lunch at the Bell Inn, I am delighted you had a great family lunch and that Daniel was fantastic and looked after you all. I am glad you all enjoyed your lunch and found the food seriously good, and thank you for you comments on our recently redesigned Garden Room which looks superb now. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went down to Hythe to buy a beautiful pup. We needed an overnight stay and just chose this by chance. What a lovely surprise!The location for walks -fabulous. If you enjoy golf look no further.
We had two single rooms and they were spacious with all the facilities at hand. The staff were welcoming and efficient and the environment relaxing . There ate lovely gardens to sit out on a summers evening with a pre-dinner drink. The evening meal was of a small portion size but the cooking and presentation could not be improved upon. The Rose' wine was outstanding!
The traditional, cooked breakfast was perfectly cooked and quite adequate. There was a vast array of breakfast items at the buffet table and also alternative cooked items could be ordered.
Value-wise we were delighted. It was a lovely break in our journey

Room Tip: There is a fan placed in the wardrobe, for really warm weather, which you may overlook
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Gaynor B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Bell Inn, I am delighted this was a lovely surprise and found the location fabulous with lovely gardens and the staff welcoming, we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Garmin took us the wrong way - stay on main road (B3078) as The Bell is at the junction with the B3079. Great room (number 17) and bathroom, beautifully - I suspect newly - decorated and furnished. Comfortable bed and everything spotlessly clean. It was stiflingly hot when we stayed and, although the sash window was open to its fullest extent (about 4") and the curtain had been thoughtfully drawn across, the room remained really hot - nothing the hotel could do about the heat, of course. After a short search, found the tea-making things in the wardrobe, which was a little strange! Wonderful to get fresh milk on request from Reception - beats that UHT stuff hands down. Only drawback of room is noise from the fairly busy road, hence I award only 4 not 5 stars; rooms at the back of the hotel are probably quieter. Reception staff friendly, helpful and professional. Restaurant staff pleasant, attentive and helpful, some younger staff members maybe still 'in training' when we visited (21 July 14) as drinks and food were brought to more than one table before finding the right one! - but this was hardly a problem, except to those looking for a chance to complain. Food was excellent, portions perhaps erring on the slightly small side. Wifi (free) worked in our room intermittently.

Room Tip: Back of hotel probably quieter than the front, which overlooks quite a busy B road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Eileen R,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Bell Inn, I am sorry that you went the wrong way, we do try to say on our confirmation that you need to stay on the main road as all satnav systems take you the wrong way, I am delighted you found the food excellent and the staff pleasant, attentive and helpful, we hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Family celebratory lunch for five (scallops, 2 x cold meat platter, duck salad and soup plus teas and soft drinks: £64). Every dish was of excellent quality and exquisitely presented. Be warned, the portions are small. Very smart venue with attentive staff. Worth it for special occasions.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mark K,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent family celebration here at the Bell Inn, I am delighted the food was of excellent quality and the staff attentive, we look forward to seeing you again for another celebration.